Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-22-2012, 10:35 PM   #1

Air ride hitch comparison

I have an Alpine 3600RS that uses a Lippert 1621 extended pin box. I am looking to replace the solid hitch pin with one of the air ride units, as my dually does not give too much. I am bogged down with the pros and cons of the various units and I am interested in the knowledge of the available units that are on the market. The hitch rating on the camper from the factory is 15,500 lbs. Thanks in advance

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-23-2012, 05:48 AM   #2

We had the same Lippert 1621 pin box and replaced with a Trail Air Tri Glide. originally had decided on the 5th Airborne but got a really good deal on the Tri Glide at a rally.

The Trail Air (air bag and shock)works great and really takes the shock out of the trailer. It will surprise you how much up and down movement the coach is going through.

I never had a problem with chucking (front to back movement) and that is what the Tri Glide portion is supposed to take care of. Not real impressed with that part. If I had paid full price for the pinbox I would be kicking myself. My opinion, if you don't have a chucking problem don't waste you money on the Tri Glide jaw.

My Trail Air has been on two different trailers and is three years old. I do believe it has helped the trailer, the truck and definitley the ride. Just a note: if you do get the Trail Air with the Tri Glide jaw, make sure you grease all 9 grease fittings constantly .

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
SouthernNite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 02:27 PM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Any will work, get the one with the best deal.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 04:10 PM   #4

What are the other manufacturers and their product name?
Old 09-23-2012, 06:08 PM   #5

You don't have a lot of choices...they've both already been mentioned:

1) TrailAir with or without the Tri Glide base plate (I won't tow without the TrailAir Tri Glide unit)

2) 5th Airborne

They both work very well, but, I preferred the up/down cushioning of either plus some fore/aft cushioning, you can only get that combination with the Tri Glide TrailAir unit. As for the lubrication of the Tri Glide; it isn't a big deal. There are 9 zerks, but, I already carry a power grease gun and hitting them once a week takes all of about 3 minutes. I do it with my other "weekly" maintenance chores.

Comes down to which design strikes your fancy (I liked the longer "lever" action of the rear hinged TrailAir) and what you want them to do (to my knowledge you can't put a Demco plate on a 5th Airborne, so, if you want relief from up/down and fore/aft, you only have one choice)...they are both excellent devices.

Don & Bronwyn + 1 Cat; J-Lo
2014 Thor Tuscany 40RX (AKA, "The Cat House")
2015 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk Towed
webslave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 06:48 PM   #6

Check out the classifieds under fifth wheel acc. page 3 it is what I used and it worked like a dream. PS and it is still for sale.
Old 09-23-2012, 07:09 PM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by webslave View Post
...You don't have a lot of choices...they've both already been mentioned:

1) TrailAir with or without the Tri Glide base plate (I won't tow without the TrailAir Tri Glide unit)

2) 5th Airborne...
Bing "air ride hitches for fifth wheel campers" there are others out there.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 08:47 PM   #8

Caution on the Trail Air. On my 13,100 lb empty trailer it took almost 100lbs of air to get the yellow sticker where it belonged. It is rated at 16,000. Lightly loaded it would not come up to the mark at 125lbs. Took it off and put on a Mor-Ryde. No air but a much better ride.
Old 10-10-2012, 07:24 PM   #9

I have been looking for specifications to answer a question, Do you have to deflate the Trail Aire or the 5th Airbourne hitch airbag when you are unhooking? I saw recommendations to have an on board air supply on the truck? I am confused about the operation of these units, and the fit/spec sheets do not answer my questions! Thanks in advance.
Old 10-11-2012, 09:42 AM   #10

We have the 5th Airbourne on our unit and have been very happy with the ride it gives us. You do not have to deflate the air bag to unhook them from the truck.
Old 10-12-2012, 01:27 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat320 View Post
Bing "air ride hitches for fifth wheel campers" there are others out there.
If you "Bing" as above you do get air ride hitches, however, he was asking about pinboxes, not hitches. While there are a couple of minor players making air supported pinboxes, the two major players are TrailAir and 5th Airborne.

Neither has to be de-aired to unhitch and the only reason I can think of for having an onboard compressor is to make adjustments to the volume of air in the pinbox. I do have an onboard air compressor with storage tanks that I use to fill the tires on the trailer and the tanks hold more than enough air should I need to adjust the level of air in the pinbox while on the road. Just like your tires, differences in altitude and temperature make adjusting the pinbox necessary at times to maintain the ride and effectiveness of the pinbox. If you don't carry a compressor with storage tanks, you could always get a portable air tank at Walmart and carry air in that to add air to the pinbox should it need it.

Don & Bronwyn + 1 Cat; J-Lo
2014 Thor Tuscany 40RX (AKA, "The Cat House")
2015 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk Towed
webslave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 07:46 PM   #12

We pulled our former 5th wheel for 5 years without a Trail Air, we bought a new 5'r last November that came with the Trail Air. It's a world of difference, with the bad roads all over the US your pin box & 5'r don't get the hard "bangs" that you get without one. Mor Ryde makes one also (maybe that's the 5th airborne they are talking about) Spend the $$, get one, it's so worth it.

missourijan is offline   Reply With Quote