Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-10-2016, 11:43 AM   #15

Our 5th came with a Trail Air pin box and chucking was horrible. All the adjustments recommended for the 5th (weight distribution, ride height, etc) did not help. Michigan roads suck.

Got a screamin deal a few years back on a Trail Air TriGlide hitch (don't make anymore). Combined the air bag with a anti-chucking attachment.
Took about 85% of the chucking away. Tolerable now.

I would switch hitches (current Reese) if some manufacturer would want to put their money where their mouth is, let me try it, and if it worked, I would buy it. Otherwise, it's a lot of money to throw away if it doesn't help.

wingedone is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-10-2016, 02:04 PM   #16

Well you can take my word for it
You will never regret buying one. Check the forum and l doubt if you will find one owner that did not say things improved dramatically . I also have a moryde on the pin box . The switch is like day and nite. Your trl will love you for it , so will your wife !

Old 01-10-2016, 05:54 PM   #17

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Another question. Have anyone seen small air bags that could be adapted to the trailer leaf springs. Similar to the air bags installed on the trucks. I did install the Air Lift 5000 bags on our 2014 Ram. Don't really need them for the weight but to level as the pin weight plus generator sets the rear down about 2". While that's not a towing concern, it does raise the headlamp aim enough that it's difficult for others to drive into. Since the install, (running 35# pres.) I do notice a difference for the better on the truck ride when towing and no more headlamp flashes form oncoming drivers. Wish bags were available as a "spring dampening' for the 5'er.
Old 01-10-2016, 08:47 PM   #18

The arrangemet of dual axles and articulating suspension l think make it a non starter.
Old 01-10-2016, 09:59 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by scout4eagles View Post
Our DRV has the Trail Air pin box and it works great. I wish it had the other lower MorRyde type pad on the bottom but I may upgrade later after I see more comments.
After a few days of relentless research I am finding about 70% of people in about 10 forums prefer Mo Ryde over Trailair...and 60% of TrailAir owners are as pleased as they thought they would be versus 99% of all Mo Ryde owners are extremely happy with it...only recurring comments about the Mo Ryde is "works best with air bags on truck" and "feels a bit creepy, like a loose hookup to the trailer for a bit till you get used to it"
My mind is made up, we're going to install the Mo Ryde...
Old 01-10-2016, 10:02 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacknife View Post
The arrangemet of dual axles and articulating suspension l think make it a non starter.
True story...researched this as well and there is no bag system currently on the market for 5ers.
Old 01-10-2016, 10:06 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacknife View Post
Well you can take my word for it
You will never regret buying one. Check the forum and l doubt if you will find one owner that did not say things improved dramatically . I also have a moryde on the pin box . The switch is like day and nite. Your trl will love you for it , so will your wife !
We have decided to go with the Mo Ryde...have to contact them and see which one fits our 2015 Cougar 313 Max Turn. We live in a smaller city and our RV dealers aren't very forward thinking...good to buy from and winterize but not a lot more! Fortunately I'm a HD Mechanic and Power Engineer, pretty sure I can install it lol
Old 01-10-2016, 10:15 PM   #22

And apologies to the manufacturer... It's MORryde not Mo Ryde
Old 01-10-2016, 10:22 PM   #23

Excel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselGod View Post
True story...researched this as well and there is no bag system currently on the market for 5ers.
Not true.

I installed the Trailair Center Point Air Ride Suspension on my Excel Winslow 5th wheel. Over 30K miles towing since installed. Really smooths the ride. http://www.lci1.com/center-point

'16 GMC Sierra 3500HD
drfife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2016, 10:25 PM   #24
JDT

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselGod View Post
While not a true axle mounted bag system the Center Point air suspension system by Trail Air does provide some measure of an air ride for the fiver. I put a set on our rear kitchen model Excel 2 years ago and have been very pleased with the results. We did get some movement of stuff in the kitchen cabinets but the Center Points have virtually eliminated it. I left a partial cup of coffee on the bathroom sink counter and drove about a 100 miles before I discovered it. Did not spill a drop but I must say the roads were not too bad either. Still, I was impressed. Not sure how they would work on lighter trailers but ours weighs in at close to 16K pounds fully loaded. I run about 10 pounds more pressure on the road side to compensate for the difference in weights on each side. The Center Points were the only air system I could find at the time.

On edit: Russell (DrFife) was my inspiration to install the Center Points. No regrets at all.
JDT is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 01:30 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by drfife View Post
Not true.

I installed the Trailair Center Point Air Ride Suspension on my Excel Winslow 5th wheel. Over 30K miles towing since installed. Really smooths the ride. Center Point®
That's not a true axle mount air ride system...to the question that was put forth I went with the assumption he was referring to an adjustable true axle mount like on a truck.
Old 01-11-2016, 07:57 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDCOToyhaul View Post
Another question. Have anyone seen small air bags that could be adapted to the trailer leaf springs. Similar to the air bags installed on the trucks. I did install the Air Lift 5000 bags on our 2014 Ram. Don't really need them for the weight but to level as the pin weight plus generator sets the rear down about 2". While that's not a towing concern, it does raise the headlamp aim enough that it's difficult for others to drive into. Since the install, (running 35# pres.) I do notice a difference for the better on the truck ride when towing and no more headlamp flashes form oncoming drivers. Wish bags were available as a "spring dampening' for the 5'er.
Centerpoint from lippert is an airbag setup for the trailer axles. It works great and is cheaper than the Moryde IS, I have put on about 9000 miles and nothing moves around in the trailer.
Old 01-11-2016, 11:17 PM   #27

We seem to have gotten away from pin boxes to trailer air bags...but carry on, the help on the original topic was great and our MORryde pin box is on the way...if there's any fellow Canuks here it's over $200 cheaper through Tweeties in the US even with the exchange!!
Old 01-12-2016, 11:41 AM   #28

Ok OP now I know where you are coming from. 11 RAM Dually towing 36' MobileSuites with trailAire air bag king pin rode good MOST of the time BUT on those choppy roads and overpasses the ride was not as good. So I added Bilstein 4600 shocks and PacBrake full onboard in cab controls system with air horns. The ride was GREAT! I ran the bags at 5psi unloaded and when the load was applied the pressure went to about 30psi and that seemed to be the sweet spot most of the time. There was near 5K pin weight. Hitch was a B&W 18k Companion.

Now after having that system I ordered current truck 15 RAM Dually with factory rear air ride. I can tell those thinking about towing heavy you WILL want/need air bags so the $1,300 option is worth every penny and the unloaded ride is much improved along with loaded is improved. Pics of old truck 29K combined and new truck 32,500# combined.