Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-03-2016, 11:44 AM   #1

Air Ride suspension aftermarket add

Hi all,

So I have a question about adding an aftermarket air ride suspension. I have a 2015 Ram 3500 DRW, and I'm wanting to add the air ride suspension airbags and in-cab controls but cannot find anyone that will install it. I've contacted a few companys in my area (currently around Charleston SC), but no one wants to tackle the project. They tell me quite a lot of drilling and work is required, and it ends up very pricey.

Has anyone had such a system installed in a Ram 3500 somewhere near Charleston, and if so, where? BTW, I'm willing to travel to have it installed, at least within a reasonable distance anyway.

Thanks all.
tnmblair is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-03-2016, 03:07 PM   #2

@tnmblair, some time ago I installed a system in a F350 26 foot MH. Right rear springs became weak or we had poor weight distribution.The least expensive way to solve the problem was to install air bags. The kit came with all parts needed,bag's, pump, control switches and gauges for the cab ,wiring, and hoses. I don't recall much drilling except to mount the pump and in cab controls. I would get a PDF of the installation procedures and show them to a prospective installer . I think many shops get scared off because the job is an unknown project. I owned an independent auto repair center and would have tackled a job like that ,,,what the heck if I got my time/ expense covered I'd be happy. It's not rocket science. Look for a non chain organization, but a small local shop.

CLIFF
clifford j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2016, 03:49 PM   #3

What are you hauling that you need bags on a DRW RAM?
Cummins12V98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2016, 04:10 PM   #4

Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
tnmblair,
You might want to check out the local spring shop, they will usually tackle something like that. I am assuming that you are talking a full air ride system that replaces the leaf springs with air bags. I did it by myself in 2 nights on my Silverado. There are about 12 holes (give or take a couple) to drill in the frame.
Frank
Franka548 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2016, 04:30 PM   #5

Cummins12V98: I'll be towing a '16 DRV 40KSSB4. We haven't picked it up yet, but I'm thinking that it might cause me to ride nose high. I would have gotten the Ram with the factory air bags, but couldn't find one without ordering it that way.

Franka548: Yep, that's exactly what I'm talking about. I don't have the time to do it myself, as my job keeps me pretty busy out of town.

Thanks for the responses all.
Old 01-03-2016, 06:55 PM   #6

You have talked to the Dodge dealer where you bought the truck, haven't you? I would think that they could install the factory system, and it would be according to the flat rate manual, so you should be able to get a pretty accurate price quote.
easdsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2016, 07:08 PM   #7
Senior Dude

Triple E Owners Club
I had the aftermarket airbag kit installed by the same company that did my 5er hitch install.
I didn't do the auto level with compressor, I just did the bags and air nozzles at the bumper.
Dogpatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2016, 08:07 PM   #8

tnmblair,
Check these guys out, I've been considering this set up myself. Says it bolts right up to existing mounts,
Auto Flex - Air Ride Suspension System | AutoFlex Air Ride Suspension Systems

Cheers Rick T.
wowlites is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2016, 07:32 AM   #9

Unfortunately I purchased the truck in Virginia (as it was the only dealership with several hundred miles that had what I wanted), and now live in South Carolina which would make that roughly 8 hours one way back to that dealership. There are a few Ram dealers here I plan on asking though, so we'll see.

I've not heard of Auto Flex, so I'll have to check them out. Thanks for the tip.
Old 01-04-2016, 10:28 AM   #10

I installed a PacBrake complete system including AirHorns on my 11 HO RAM Dually mostly for ride improvement.

Personally I would wait until you have your new MS before doing anything. The rear axle is rated for 9,750# on the 13 and up trucks. If the truck sits level bags are not needed.
Cummins12V98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2016, 07:52 AM   #11

I installed a set of firestone airbags with an on board 200psi viar compressor . it operates the airbags in cab an has air chucks for tires. I run the bags at about 30 psi when towing and it smoothens out the ride. My trailer has 4265 lbs pin weight. The truck sits level without air in the bags but when hitting bridge expansion joints they really help
Old 01-05-2016, 01:21 PM   #12

Official iRV2 Sponsor

Here is a link to our dealer locator which should show everyone in your area that installs. 98% of our kits are bolt on, so install is pretty quick and simple.

https://www.airliftcompany.com/dealer/
Old 01-05-2016, 07:11 PM   #13

Ford Super Duty Owner
I've got the same truck. Towing a 37' 5th wheel, I feel that the rear springs are right. Adding more springs (or bags) - I'm not sure that it would help unless you're experiencing sag and are carrying a lot of weight.

The airbags generally supplement the factory spring rates.
cb1000rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 03:47 PM   #14

Thanks all, for the replies. I appreciate all the info a lot.

Tags
suspension