Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-08-2014, 07:57 AM   #1

Thor Owners Club
Air Shocks

Does Air Shocks help that much?
Vetl82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-08-2014, 09:08 AM   #2

That depends. What problem are you trying to fix?
Old 06-08-2014, 09:26 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vetl82 View Post
Does Air Shocks help that much?
Where on the truck or on the trailer?

If you mean the truck are you asking about air bags? Or do you really mean air shocks? I do not think that the technology exist for pick-up trucks that is not cost prohibit as of now. Ram was going to provide air suspension components in their late model HD trucks for 2104/2015, but I don’t think they are for sale yet. I think it is either a cost issue or production issue that is preventing the sale of them.

The air ride components maybe offered on the ½ ton vehicles but I am not that familiar with the ½ ton line of trucks.

Now I do have a set of air bags on my truck for some ride improvement but mainly for load leveling requirements. And I also have a Tri Glide air ride pin box made by TrailAir on my 5er for improved ride and stability issue with the truck and trailer.
Jim W.

Old 06-08-2014, 09:35 AM   #4

I have never been a fan of air shocks. This is my reason behind it. Shocks and shock mounts were designed around ride and handling. The load on the mounts and fasteners were pretty much limited to the resistance and control of the shock. Now you add an air shock that is now making it load bearing for vehicle/trailer weight. So now you just added more stress to the fastener and mounting brackets.
jamesrxx951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 09:40 PM   #5

Thor Owners Club
Excuse me for having a mental lapse I meant air bags on the tow vehicle , a friend of mine told me to get a set , just wondering if the air bags were worth the cost .?
Old 06-08-2014, 10:58 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I put air bags on a 1999 GMC pickup that I pulled a travel trailer with to level up the system.

It did level the system and actually improved the ride, which surprised me. So, for me. it was worth the money.
Arch Hoagland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 04:35 PM   #7

Air bags are often used on 3/4 ton trucks to raise the back end when a fifth wheel trailer is towed. It does nothing to increase the amount of load you can tow, however.

Use of air bags just gets your vehicle level, which in turn makes it handle as well as it can handle with so much weight over the rear axle.
Bamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 10:28 PM   #8

Thor Owners Club
Well I know air bags has been used by farmers and people that haul cattle and horses to level the load out , kinda like having overload springs on a truck , that's what we used in the day on our farm trucks to haul livestock to auctions . Heck we even had retread tires back in those days.
Old 06-11-2014, 08:03 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamaman View Post
Air bags are often used on 3/4 ton trucks to raise the back end when a fifth wheel trailer is towed. It does nothing to increase the amount of load you can tow, however.

Use of air bags just gets your vehicle level, which in turn makes it handle as well as it can handle with so much weight over the rear axle.
As long as you do not exceed the GAWR weights you should not have any problem in towing a 5er with a ¾ ton truck. Also the only difference between a 2008, RAM 2500HD, Mega Cab and a Ram 3500HD, Mega Cab, SRW truck axle rating is 190 LBS, extra leaf spring in the spring pack.
I pull a 318SAB COUGAR that weighs in at 11,000 LBS GVW. I have scaled this unit with my truck and being fully loaded with the DW and two weeks of items for an extended trip. My scaled weights are; GAWR front 4,940 LBS, GAWR rear 5,160 LBS, Trailer axle weight 8,140 LBS, and GCW is 18,240 LBS. I am under all of the parameters set forth by Ram for my vehicle to safely tow a 5er with a ¾ ton truck.
The truck was weighed before I did install Air-Bags. Bags were installed to help in improving the ride of the truck.

Jim W.

Tags
shocks