Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-15-2011, 02:10 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billieg View Post
I,m having air bags put on my F-350 dually today. I asked for Firestone but the truck shop said they had a better bag that has a lifetime warranty. I can't remember the name but I will post it when I pick up the truck.

I'm putting them on not so much to level the truck but to help dampen the suspension and help the springs. My bed goes down about 3 inches with my 5th and is almost level but hitting all the bumps and holes in the road felt like the springs and shocks were taking a beating. Hoping the air bags help.
They were the Air Lift make. If you have a 5th wheel hitch and a rear hitch you need special brackets to mount them and keep your hitches.

A question for the Air Lift guy, What is the minimum pressure I can keep them inflated at?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-15-2011, 03:15 PM   #16

I have the firestone air bags, onboard compressor w/dual gauges. I drive a Ford F250 7.3 desiel 4x4 with an 8' bed. I just took off the aftermarket helper springs that were on the truck when I bought it because they were beating me to death when driving the truck w/o the 5er attached and I felt they were overkill. They did help when I had my cabover camper that weighted 3300 lbs though. But now I've moved onto a 5er 32' that weighs about 8800 lbs dry. Can't recall what the pin weight is right now though. Any suggestions on what PSI I should have in the bags when not pulling the 5er.

ridahog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 04:27 PM   #17

I put ride-rite airbags on my 2500 GMC. I first put just enough air in to level the load but it bounced so much going down the road I had to stop and let the air out. The rv dealer then told me I needed more air about 70. It rides some better at 70. Still experimenting.
Old 11-15-2011, 04:55 PM   #18

Official iRV2 Sponsor

Quote:
They were the Air Lift make. If you have a 5th wheel hitch and a rear hitch you need special brackets to mount them and keep your hitches.

A question for the Air Lift guy, What is the minimum pressure I can keep them inflated at?
You have to maintain 5 psi in each air bag at all times. This is so the bag has constant pressure and keeps the bag from separating or coming unseated.

This is true for all of our air products.
AirLift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 05:05 PM   #19

Official iRV2 Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ridahog View Post
I have the firestone air bags, onboard compressor w/dual gauges. I drive a Ford F250 7.3 desiel 4x4 with an 8' bed. I just took off the aftermarket helper springs that were on the truck when I bought it because they were beating me to death when driving the truck w/o the 5er attached and I felt they were overkill. They did help when I had my cabover camper that weighted 3300 lbs though. But now I've moved onto a 5er 32' that weighs about 8800 lbs dry. Can't recall what the pin weight is right now though. Any suggestions on what PSI I should have in the bags when not pulling the 5er.
Every situation is different, you may find the keeping the minimum 5 psi gives you the best ride. Firestone requires a minimum of 5 psi in the air bags just as we do.

Do you have a controller in the cab or are you manually filling the air bags with an external compressor. Either way the best way is to simply try different psi's. If you have a control system in the cab experimenting is obviously far easier.

Ride quality is very subjective, so what may feel perfect for me could possibly be too harsh for you.
Old 11-15-2011, 05:08 PM   #20

Official iRV2 Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slowmo View Post
I put ride-rite airbags on my 2500 GMC. I first put just enough air in to level the load but it bounced so much going down the road I had to stop and let the air out. The rv dealer then told me I needed more air about 70. It rides some better at 70. Still experimenting.
This could also be derived from what shocks you are running, and how old they are. Different dampening rates are going to effect the ride you get with each PSI.

You have the right idea though, experimenting is key in finding what best suites your vehicle and ride preference.
Old 11-15-2011, 07:19 PM   #21

I recently installed a Firestone R4Tech system in the rear of my 2010 Ram 2500 Megacab.

How it Works

Don't think they make a Toyota kit, yet.
Old 11-15-2011, 08:12 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXiceman
The air bags only prop up the rear end and do not add an thing to the GAWR or GVWR of the truck. Personally, I'd be looking for a 3/4 ton truck or look for a smaller trailer for the Tundra.

Ken
Understand that as previously stated, looking for airbag info here not an opinion on my Tundra's towing capacity. I well understand that already. That being said Ken, what airbags do you have on your truck?
Old 11-15-2011, 09:22 PM   #23

Have you actually towed the Everlite yet? Maybe you won't need them.
Joe
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 06:54 PM   #24

Send a message via ICQ to wandering1
You are asking for trouble. That tundra is not enough truck to safely handle that trailer and adding crutches like airbags wont help. You will aloso need to add larger brakes, heavier suspension and different differential gear ratio to get close to the truck you need. Stick with the tundra and I will see you in the ditch.
Old 11-20-2011, 09:41 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by wandering1 View Post
You are asking for trouble. That tundra is not enough truck to safely handle that trailer and adding crutches like airbags wont help. You will aloso need to add larger brakes, heavier suspension and different differential gear ratio to get close to the truck you need. Stick with the tundra and I will see you in the ditch.
First, the OP stated they wanted the air bags to stabilize and level the truck not to add a larger towing capacity. Air bags are used to level and help the suspension and they do a good job. They are no way a crutch. They are on every motor home on the road.

Second, before you make that type of statement you need to check how much their 5th weighs. At 7,700 lbs the pin weight is only 1,155 to 1,540 lbs. Fully loaded it it won't be much more. The Tundra should handle that.

Third, all 5th wheels have brakes and stop fairly well. Having more brakes on the truck than the 5th wheel is asking for trouble as in jackknife.

Facts about the Tundra:
Engine: a 5.7 liter V8 that cranks out 381 hp and 401 lb-ft of torque

Towing: GVWR of 6,600 lbs, a maximum payload of 1,870 lbs and the ability to tow 9,000 lbs

Curb weight: 4,730 lbs

So adding the 5th wheel pin weight the truck is still under GVWR and the 9000 lbs leaves another 1,300 lbs for loading.

It will be close to max but 70% of these rigs are near max or over. Sure, I'd go for a bigger truck too but not everyone can afford to. They will be fine taking it easy and not overloading the 5th.

The only thing I see in a ditch is your post....
Old 11-21-2011, 06:21 AM   #26

uncalled for

Quote:
Originally Posted by wandering1 View Post
Really uncalled for response. Not the professional response I would expect from this group. I'm looking for airbag advice...not a negative response.
I would NEVER wish anyone to be in an accident, can't believe you actually posted this. That being said and me being the bigger person here, I hope NOBODY is ever in a ditch to include you and your Holiday Rambler. I currently serve our nation defending your right to say things like this...tough to think about as I take fire in Iraq and you enjoy your HR looking down at everyone else.
Moderator, please block this person if possible, this is absolutely uncalled for.
V/r
Old 11-21-2011, 06:26 AM   #27

Thanks!

Quote:
First, the OP stated they wanted the air bags to stabilize and level the truck not to add a larger towing capacity. Air bags are used to level and help the suspension and they do a good job. They are no way a crutch. They are on every motor home on the road.

Second, before you make that type of statement you need to check how much their 5th weighs. At 7,700 lbs the pin weight is only 1,155 to 1,540 lbs. Fully loaded it it won't be much more. The Tundra should handle that.

Third, all 5th wheels have brakes and stop fairly well. Having more brakes on the truck than the 5th wheel is asking for trouble as in jackknife.

Facts about the Tundra:
Engine: a 5.7 liter V8 that cranks out 381 hp and 401 lb-ft of torque

Towing: GVWR of 6,600 lbs, a maximum payload of 1,870 lbs and the ability to tow 9,000 lbs

Curb weight: 4,730 lbs

So adding the 5th wheel pin weight the truck is still under GVWR and the 9000 lbs leaves another 1,300 lbs for loading.

It will be close to max but 70% of these rigs are near max or over. Sure, I'd go for a bigger truck too but not everyone can afford to. They will be fine taking it easy and not overloading the 5th.

The only thing I see in a ditch is your post....
Our Tundra has the tow package and according to the updated vehicle ratings, we can actually go to 9900lbs. Our 5'er pin wt is only 1073 and dry wt is 7300, we are well within our range. I'm not an idiot, I did the research before purchasing both the truck and 5'er. Thanks for supporting me with facts and not just taking a face shot like others.
Old 11-22-2011, 09:04 AM   #28

How can you be a "Bigger Person" and than go on and tell a blogger he was out of line and ramble on about serving in the military. I for one thought everyones input on airbags was very informative. Oh and I'm sure many of these bloggers, too include myself, served their country, but don't require or feel they need to throw it in peoples faces as if that should change things. Not sure why you even included it. I learned a lot about airbags. Thanks to my fellow bloggers.

ridahog is offline   Reply With Quote