Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-12-2011, 08:18 AM   #1

Airbags

Looking at putting Firestone Airbags on our Toyota Tundra. Anyone have this brand or any airbags you recommend? We will be towing a 30' Everlite 5th wheel, with a Reese Revolution pin box and Reese reciever. Your input is appreciated.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-12-2011, 08:40 AM   #2

I use air bags on my 3/4 ton truck to level the load, not to increase the carrying capacity. Air Bags will never increase the load carrying capacity of any vehicle.
Firestone and other air bag products work great for the intend purpose. I have an onboard air compressor and gages thess allow you to adjust the air bag pressure up and down to keep the truck level depending on the load in the bed.
In you post you do not mention what model of 5er you will be towing; the length does not really matter. It is the pin weight of the 5er along with the driver, passenger, fuel, hitch weight and any other item that the truck will carry. This is the weight that the rear axle and truck will tow that matters.
What you need to look at, is the tire ratings on your truck and the weight sticker on the door post that is provide. What is the maximum weight that the tire will support at what air pressure in the tires? What is the Gross combined vehicle weight that is allowed? What are the Gross front and rear axle weights of your truck? What is the maximum payload for your truck?
These are what need to be considered when towing any TT or 5er.
Jim W.

Old 11-12-2011, 09:18 AM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
As noted above, air bags are for leveling the truck, not increasing load capacity because they can't. If you need more load capacity, you need more truck...or less 5th wheel.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 11:28 AM   #4

Just looking to level the truck, and experiences from those who use them.
Old 11-12-2011, 11:53 AM   #5

I,m having air bags put on my F-350 dually today. I asked for Firestone but the truck shop said they had a better bag that has a lifetime warranty. I can't remember the name but I will post it when I pick up the truck.

I'm putting them on not so much to level the truck but to help dampen the suspension and help the springs. My bed goes down about 3 inches with my 5th and is almost level but hitting all the bumps and holes in the road felt like the springs and shocks were taking a beating. Hoping the air bags help.
Old 11-12-2011, 12:56 PM   #6

Thanks for the info. Your listed reasons are much the same as ours. I look fwd to hearing from u
Old 11-12-2011, 03:39 PM   #7

I installed Firestone air bags on my last truck to level the load. They worked really well and it seemed to soften the ride a little. I installed them myself and couldn't believe how easy they were to install. The only thing I would suggest is to deflate the bags after you unhook. You're truck will have too much bounce without a load on the bags.
ajlcal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 06:09 PM   #8

Carolina Campers
I bought the airlift kit from advanced auto, used a $70 off online code and got them for $204 shipped to the door
Osborne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 07:30 PM   #9

Official iRV2 Sponsor

Air load support will certainly help level your tow vehicle. I gathered from some of your other posts that your Tundra is a 2011. If that is correct, the kit offered through Air Lift is 57299. You will find the manual for your application at the embedded link.

If you would prefer to change the level of load support from inside your vehicle we offer a range of additional kits here. Otherwise, you would have to fill the air bags with an external compressor, such as an air compressor at a gas station.

As Osborne mentioned above we suggest that you visit a local dealer or an online retailer to purchase one of our products.

If you have any questions or concerns, please don't hesitate to ask.
AirLift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 08:00 PM   #10

AirLift,
Will the bag set from an '07 F350 fit an '09 F450 with a B&W hitch? Reason I ask, is I have the set from my 350 and might want them on the 450 before I go to AK next summer.
Thanks,
Joe
'09 F450--died, replaced with '10--retired
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 08:19 PM   #11

Official iRV2 Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingnut60 View Post
AirLift,
Will the bag set from an '07 F350 fit an '09 F450 with a B&W hitch? Reason I ask, is I have the set from my 350 and might want them on the 450 before I go to AK next summer.
Thanks,
Joe
Would you be able to tell me the kit number that you originally ordered? Most of the kits that would fit an 07 F350 don't fit a F450 according to my application guide. However, I will pass along your question to see if I can get a better response for you.

I will let you know what I find out.
Old 11-14-2011, 08:28 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
The air bags only prop up the rear end and do not add an thing to the GAWR or GVWR of the truck. Personally, I'd be looking for a 3/4 ton truck or look for a smaller trailer for the Tundra.

Ken
Old 11-14-2011, 09:01 PM   #13

Don't know the original number--but it fit my '04 SRW 350 then the '07 DRW. If your tech group says it won't, please ask them if there are parts to get that would get it to fit.
Joe
'09 F450--died, replaced with '10--retired
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 11:30 AM   #14

Official iRV2 Sponsor

I'm still working with our technical group to get an answer for you. My major concern is going from the 350 to 450. We offer kits for the F-450 but they are only listed for 2011-2012 models. I'm trying to track down whether this is because the frames are actually different on the older models and if so what difference this may be.

Hopefully will have an answer for you this evening.