Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-02-2014, 08:51 AM   #1

Florida Cooters Club
Coastal Campers
Airecel Mach 8 low profile a/c heat pump

I'm about to take delivery of a new fiver and it has the 8" tall low profile Airxcel Mach 8 heat pump in the bedroom.
I would like to hear form others who are using this unit. Are you happy with its performance and has there been any issues with it all.
I have heard of some having issues with it throwing water back into the vents due to the angle on a fifth wheel roof as well as plain old reliability issues, too.
The manufactures rep of my new fiver told me that they had stopped using them due to issues. Guess what? Mine showed up this week with on the bedroom.
The low profile design is great especially for the front of a fiver but I don't want reliability issues. Thanks, Phillip

Airxcel | RV Products | Rooftop Air
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-02-2014, 12:53 PM   #2

Reliability? Coleman has made A/Cs forever. You'll be fine with it. I would NOT be scared of it at all.
jesilvas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 02:19 PM   #3
JDT

I have had one since June 2012 on our Excel. It has not had any issues other than a dirt dauber building a mud nest on one of the fan blades, which made it sound like an airplane getting ready to take off. It heats and cools really well. Ours is one of the very early ones. It was a replacement for a the 11" low profile model ours came with originally because it would not fit in the 13' opening in our building. This was the only solution our dealer and Excel could come up with. Just what we needed. I think you'll be fine.
JDT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 05:39 PM   #4

Florida Cooters Club
Coastal Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDT View Post
I have had one since June 2012 on our Excel. It has not had any issues other than a dirt dauber building a mud nest on one of the fan blades, which made it sound like an airplane getting ready to take off. It heats and cools really well. Ours is one of the very early ones. It was a replacement for a the 11" low profile model ours came with originally because it would not fit in the 13' opening in our building. This was the only solution our dealer and Excel could come up with. Just what we needed. I think you'll be fine.
Jim, thanks for the positive feedback. Is your unit installed on a level, OR more specifically, a nose down attitude? The installation manual specifically says to install level or nose up attitude up to 15 degrees. On my new fiver, it is installed in the bedroom at a nose down attitude. Thanks, Phillip
http://www.rvcomfort.com/rvp/pdf_documents/1976a604.pdf
Old 03-02-2014, 06:57 PM   #5
JDT

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdpm View Post
Jim, thanks for the positive feedback. Is your unit installed on a level, OR more specifically, a nose down attitude? The installation manual specifically says to install level or nose up attitude up to 15 degrees. On my new fiver, it is installed in the bedroom at a nose down attitude. Thanks, Phillip
http://www.rvcomfort.com/rvp/pdf_documents/1976a604.pdf
I'm pretty sure it sits close to level. I know when I get on the roof to wash it that part of the roof feels level. It's 13 degrees outside and snowing so not a good time to go out and look.
Old 03-02-2014, 07:59 PM   #6

Excel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDT View Post

I'm pretty sure it sits close to level. I know when I get on the roof to wash it that part of the roof feels level. It's 13 degrees outside and snowing so not a good time to go out and look.
I have the the non-heat pump version of the same AC. It is slightly nose down on my Excel 5th wheel.

'16 GMC Sierra 3500HD
drfife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 09:32 AM   #7

Get them (dealer) to change it out. One of the main issues is that the AC has to be close to level. This particular manufacture needs to put a wedge under the front of the AC. I think this unit needs to be within 8* of level to work and drain properly.
Old 03-06-2014, 06:03 PM   #8

Florida Cooters Club
Coastal Campers
Update: I phoned Airexcel and asked for technical support and spoke to a man who told me that the Mach 8 must be mounted as described in the installation info.
I forwarded this info to my new fiver manufacturer. He said that I was getting incorrect info!
Today, I received a phone call from an Airxcel sale representative who works closely with the manufacturer. He ASSURED me that there is no issue with the install and it is OK for it to be installed nose down to 10 degrees.
I was very candid and asked him how could I believe that when their own service rep and own installation manual says not to do that. His response was that the service rep was basing his answer on the service manual which is incorrect. I really don't know who or what to believe. Phillip
Old 03-06-2014, 07:03 PM   #9

Excel Owners Club
Mine is slightly nose down. We've had ours for 1 1/2 years without issue.

'16 GMC Sierra 3500HD
drfife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 05:50 AM   #10
JDT

We have used ours 2 full seasons, so that would be 7 or 8 months total. My personal opinion is I wouldn't worry about it as you will have, I think, 3 years warranty. That would be plenty of time to see if there are any problems.

Tags
heat pump