Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-19-2015, 09:49 PM   #29

Don...if this is your first RV, ask (actually I wouldn't ask) I would tell them to let you stay in it for a day or so on their premises for your "shakedown". This is so you can go through all of the systems on your new 5er. Prepare a checklist...they won't do it for you. If you find a problem with anything, they will fix it right away instead of you having to bring it back and keep it for a week or so. It will save you a lot of headache and you'll have someone there to show you how to bleed air out of your water lines or show you how to adjust your hotwater in the shower...etc.
Go through EVERY system (even if you don't plan on using it very much, slide-outs, awnings, thermostats, every electrical plug, etc)..and you can get some valuable peace of mind!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-20-2015, 05:38 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by suprdave1958 View Post
Congrats...but you'll want the residential fridge in less than a month
Just sayin....happy trails
Maybe she will change her mind after we use it some, time will tell. I did tell her the general consensus is the residential refrigerator is better.

Old 02-20-2015, 05:48 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by suprdave1958 View Post
Don...if this is your first RV, ask (actually I wouldn't ask) I would tell them to let you stay in it for a day or so on their premises for your "shakedown". This is so you can go through all of the systems on your new 5er. Prepare a checklist...they won't do it for you. If you find a problem with anything, they will fix it right away instead of you having to bring it back and keep it for a week or so. It will save you a lot of headache and you'll have someone there to show you how to bleed air out of your water lines or show you how to adjust your hotwater in the shower...etc.
Go through EVERY system (even if you don't plan on using it very much, slide-outs, awnings, thermostats, every electrical plug, etc)..and you can get some valuable peace of mind!
Thanks Dave. This is our third one so we have some idea what we are looking for. We actually have a checklist I found several years ago that we used on our last one. They tried to be lazy and not go over everything last time. I told the dealer that will not happen this time. We wasted a lot of time waiting for the dealer we bought from the last time. They did not have all utilities in the camper hooked up for inspection. Unfortunately, due to other obligations, we won't be able to spend a night in it before we bring it back to Houston.
Old 02-20-2015, 09:26 PM   #32

There was one comment that has been made on this series this is not correct. All new Lifestyle are 102 in. They made the change a few months ago. I assume that is true for the Alpha Gold. The Lifestyle has been in production for about 5 years and has an excellent reputation. They were just recently purchased by Thor. Thor has a poor reputation, but has left Airstream to function as a separate division without interference. I hope that they leave the Lifestyle alone also.
Old 02-20-2015, 09:58 PM   #33

Lifestyle was bought by evergreen....evergreen owns lifestyle..alpha gold..skyline..bayhill..and tesla
Old 02-20-2015, 10:00 PM   #34

http://www.goevergreenrv.com/
Check out the bottom of the page skyline and lifestyle are both on here
Old 02-21-2015, 06:24 AM   #35

All the documentation I have shows Evergreen owns Lifestyle, did Thor buy them in the last couple of months? Yes the Alfa Gold has the 102" wide body.
Old 02-21-2015, 07:58 AM   #36

I was in error Mobile Suites was purchased by Thor. Sorry, I got KONFUSED!!!
Old 02-21-2015, 10:07 AM   #37

IMHO I really want to believe that Warren buffet owns the complete rv industry from lippert to Forrest river to Thor to mobile suites to fleetwood....lol I know he doesn't yet but one never knows what the future could bring. ..lol...purely conjecture...lol
Old 02-21-2015, 10:26 AM   #38

You are correct mkohler30....Evergreen does own Lifestyle...not Thor
Old 07-04-2015, 02:37 PM   #39

We also were looking at the Alfa Gold 3905SH as we are currently full timers in an Alfa Gold (2001) and it was the best one we found on a two year search it has all the luxry items king size bed wash/dryer walk in closet leather seating but back then they were a division of Fleetwood, We love ours but had heard the same thing that they went out of business in the recent economic crash. We have not had the chance to see the new Alfa Gold
Old 07-05-2015, 12:06 AM   #40

Lauriceden, the Alfa Gold is made at the same plant where Lifestyle is built...they are both owned by Evergreen...and that's been for at least 2 years. The 3905 SH and MH (motorcycle hauler) have a slide-out that can be storage, motorcycle garage, or bunkhouse with bunk beds. Options that you can get now are residential fridge w/icemaker and water dispenser, dishwasher, and of course W/D.
Old 07-05-2015, 12:23 PM   #41

We really liked the idea of the side hauler, and we also thought the finish and build seemed adequate on the Alfa Gold. However, my wife absolutely hated the couches, and I'll admit they were not the comfiest ones I have ever sat in.

2015 Ram 3500 Laramie Longhorn CC LB Dually. Cummins, Aisin, 4X4, 4.10 gears. Max towing-28,750. Max payload-5,436. 2016 DRV Mobile Suites 41RSSB4 on order.
Old 07-05-2015, 03:41 PM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don_T View Post
Which year and model does your cousin own? What kind of trouble has he had with it?
Not sure of the year. They bought it just 2 years before they went down the tube. My advice is not to buy unless your an RV repairman. He still has a hard time getting it warm in the winter in Portland. The things falling apart one piece at a time. The last time I saw it, the sides ware coming off again. If you want the distinction of owning the worst RV made, then buy this one.