Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-04-2012, 10:19 PM   #1

Alpenlite 5th wheel, 29-31 Ft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Workshop View Post
I'm considering an Alpenlite in the 29-31 foot range, with 2 slides and rear kitchen. THe Hillcrest and Valhalla models are the two I've been considering. Age would be between late 90' to early 2000's. I know that the company is no longer in business and I have been under the impression that the company built a nice unit.

Thanks
I posted this back in Jan 2010, Tried to make a reply on that thread...but because it was started in 2010...wouldn't let me post a reply.

Well two years later, I have found and bought a 2000 Valhalla 29 ft. After searching the web for that 6-8 month period...I gave up and hadn't thought much about it till several weeks ago.

As odd as life can be at times, I ended up finding it at a dealer less than 10 miles away and the orginal owner living less than 20. Its a very clean unit and after some cleaning and a good wax/polish....it should look 'almost' new.

workhorse

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-04-2012, 10:39 PM   #2

Solo Rvers Club
Appalachian Campers
Forest River Owners Club
Carolina Campers
Very Nice, I always thought they were nice 5th wheels

Flagstaff206 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 11:07 PM   #3

Very nice rig. I have a 94 27sl and love it. Look on aplenliter's profile for remodel ideas. I would suggest greaseable suspension (Nick's truck parts) and use Red Max Pro 3 on finish. It will shine better than new.
Old 02-05-2012, 07:53 AM   #4

On the short list is to upgrade the Dexter suspension, which has dry bolts and standard links, to the HD E-Z flex system. Check the brakes and check/pack the bearings. As the tires look new but have a date code of 07...will be changing them out soon so the 'running and rolling' gear will be all updated.

Have a short list of need to do and a one started for upgrades and replacements. Its a never ending process owning a 'new to me' RV.

workhorse
Old 02-05-2012, 09:01 AM   #5

Curious...
Why the 2nd trailer?
And it looks really good for the age.
Joe
'09 F450--died, replaced with '10--retired
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 09:27 AM   #6

We bought the Alpenlite because we are 'downsizing'. We will be selling the Excel once we get the 'new to us' cleaned and ready to move into. Before the Excel, 34.5 ft, we owned a Newmar Kountry Star, single sofa slide, that was 29ft, we enjoyed the length but wanted more room. The Excel is longer than what we initally wanted but was to good a deal to pass up at the time.

The Alpenlite is what we initally wanted to upgrade to, length and two slides. Should work out very well for us.

workhorse
Old 02-05-2012, 10:00 AM   #7

Now I understand. Have you cleaned/waxed the outside already, or was it that clean when you found it?
Joe
'09 F450--died, replaced with '10--retired
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 11:28 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldbeek View Post
Very nice rig. I have a 94 27sl and love it. Look on aplenliter's profile for remodel ideas. I would suggest greaseable suspension (Nick's truck parts) and use Red Max Pro 3 on finish. It will shine better than new.

Red Max Pro 3 is this a FLOOR POLISH? I am wanting to know more about this product as I too have purchased a used Alpenlite (first one I have ever owned) and in the process when it warms up to polish and detail. The front cap seems to have dulled a bit and needs some elbow grease

You mentioned Alpenlighters profile I assume they are on this site?

Thanks,
Old 02-06-2012, 06:18 AM   #9

Alpine Owners Club
Nice trailer! We purchased a 2003 Riveria with one slide in 2006. Owner only used it 3 times and kept it inside airplane hanger entire time. Wife and I love it. Enjoy.
Old 02-06-2012, 11:59 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronbell2u View Post
Red Max Pro 3 is this a FLOOR POLISH? I am wanting to know more about this product as I too have purchased a used Alpenlite (first one I have ever owned) and in the process when it warms up to polish and detail. The front cap seems to have dulled a bit and needs some elbow grease

Thanks,
Look up redmax pro on this site to get ALL the details. Don't know if Alpenliter has his profile in irv2 but it is on rv.net
Old 02-07-2012, 08:58 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingnut60 View Post
Now I understand. Have you cleaned/waxed the outside already, or was it that clean when you found it?
Joe

Joe,

Only having blocks of time between work, life and getting the Excel ready to sell...I steal a moment here and there to tinker with the Alpenlite.

The end caps will need a light compound and wax, the sides will shine with a wash but applying a cleaner/wax really makes a big difference !! The only bad part on the unit is on the forward curbside shirt, which is metal and has a slight 'pushback' that should push back out once the trim is removed and straightened.

The beige shirt is dull but shines easily with a wash and cleaner wax. Just doing it should make a big difference.

Only problem now, I have several clean test spots all over the unit until I can find the time to do the whole thing.
Old 02-07-2012, 09:24 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronbell2u View Post

Thanks,
I've never used the Red Max on any of my units, have only used Meguiars products...mainly the one step compound and cleaner/wax for the initial phase and then use a polish and their Flagship wax for the final application.

Which unit/model do you have ?
Old 02-07-2012, 11:00 PM   #13

Try a test spot with red max. You be the judge. Beats a custom detail job where they used machine polishers 2 to 1. Several other alpenlite owners on these pages convinced me to try it. Just passing on the favor.
Old 02-08-2012, 08:32 AM   #14

Texas Boomers Club
We just traded a 2003 Valhalla up in Dallas that was in excellent condition. We loved the Alpenlite but wanted just a lil more room. We got a 06 Montana that has the same floor plan but is 5 ft longer. The Alpenlite was great. The fit and finish compared to the Montana does not compare. Western built one solid trailer. Also on Facebook there is an Alpenlite owners group with some knowledgeable peoples.

steelpony555 is offline   Reply With Quote