Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-14-2016, 02:20 PM   #1

Alpenlite vs Carriage Cameo

Rather than buying new and loosing a bundle of money lately we've been looking at used. We've found a 2009 Alpenlite and a 2011 Carridge Cameo that have very similar layouts.

Both are 37' +/-
Both are rear living with 3 slides, 7000lb axles, 3000lb carrying capacities and lots of storage.

Both have been used for full time living.

The Cameo dry weight is 13,500lbs.

The Alpenlite dry weight is 12,700lbs and has it larger tanks. It is also $6000 less.

What do people think?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-14-2016, 05:50 PM   #2

I had an Alpenlite 5th wheel and loved it. They are well made rigs. It would be an easy decision for me. Don't know anything about the Carridge Cameo.

Old 09-23-2016, 09:42 AM   #3

Carriage were some of the best trailers ever made. Look carefully at the materials and build quality. They're both used so check the systems and condition. You need to look a lot further than the floorplan. What equipment and what condition? Any damage or componants that don't work? How are the slides and frame? Condition of the axles, roof, electronics, appliances, plumbing... There's a lot to check. In general Carriage are tops, but condition is everything. Dealers can make anything look good, even used. Dig beneath the surface.
Old 09-26-2016, 04:09 PM   #4

Cameo Carriage

We have a 2009 Cameo 35FB3, purchased used. Wonderful floorplan, has a generator, auto awning and numerous other things that make it desirable. We did have a slide out gear get stripped and it was repaired. It is my understanding certain Carriages, I am not certain which, did have problems with slideout motors and gears. It tows well and looks good. Despite being out of business I have found Carriage specific parts on eBay although most of anything you might need is genaric and replaceable. Hope this helps, good hunting.
motojavaphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2016, 03:17 PM   #5

I own 2 Carriage Cameo's and love them. I did own a Alpenlite Augusta for about 14 years and always thought it was well built until I purchased a Cameo. I have a 2008 cameo for sale, take a look on the classifieds. You do need to look very close at used 5th wheels. I also would not purchase from a dealer. You do not know what you are getting.
Old 10-04-2016, 03:13 PM   #6

35sb3

Quote:
Originally Posted by motojavaphil View Post
We have a 2009 Cameo 35FB3, purchased used. Wonderful floorplan, has a generator, auto awning and numerous other things that make it desirable. We did have a slide out gear get stripped and it was repaired. It is my understanding certain Carriages, I am not certain which, did have problems with slideout motors and gears. It tows well and looks good. Despite being out of business I have found Carriage specific parts on eBay although most of anything you might need is genaric and replaceable. Hope this helps, good hunting.

We have an appointment on Friday to go look at this same model. Unfortunately it does not have the auto levelers but it does have the onboard 5.5kw LPG generator. His asking price is a bit on the high side at $35K so hoping we can work him down some....he sure thinks a lot of that generator. If we can get it closer to $31 I may just spring for installing a big foot system on it.
My wife loves the floor plan. It is within my TV limits...barely......I have about 17800 lbs to play with based on GCWR of 27K.....I think GVWR on the Cameo is about 16,500. I don't see me loading it up that much though...that's almost 4K lbs of cargo/water...etc.

I wish these were full paint as I know the decals will eventually peel but it looks to be in great condition from the pics. I plan to spend a couple hours going over it unless I find something right off that I don't like.
Old 10-19-2016, 08:23 PM   #7

2009 Alpenlite?? I thought they went out of business in 2007. You may go on facebook and look up Alpenlite travel club. I have a 1994 Alpenlite that has been towed 80,000 miles. Very well built in the early days. Can not say about the last years of production.