Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-25-2013, 06:31 PM   #43

Newmar Owners Club
Since you are a first time buyer, if you have any friend that have an rv of any kind,
check with them for some guidance on dealers thy would recommend. Also they may personally know someone who has one to sell. That's how I got the one in my signature.
Best of luck in your search.

1999 NEWMAR American Star (for sale) SOLD !!![* Newmar Kountry Kklub # 19708 * THOUSAND TRAILS * 2006 Chevy 3500 Dually Dmax/Ally SOLD* Curt Q20 (For Sale)* Prodigy P2 *US ARMY 1965-1967 * Disabled Vietnam Veteran 1966-1967 * Life Member VFW *
99-Am.Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-25-2013, 07:13 PM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesilvas View Post
CW does not "have" to make their units usable. They can sell them however they want. We can do that too. However, it doesn't make for good relations. CW could care less because they have the volume. We, being a small dealer, have to keep our relations high to keep from going out of business.
So, you can buy local, or buy national.
Give Marcus Lemonis a call BEFORE you buy and see what he says!!

Old 08-25-2013, 07:20 PM   #45

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
After reading the problems some people have had with CW and the rigs they've bought from them I'm not sure they're good either.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 07:22 PM   #46

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXiceman View Post
You can add to the list Carriage Cameo or go a bit more for a Carrilite. If you want really high end, Teton, King of the Road for out of business manufacturers. Or DRV Mobile Suited or Elite Suites.

Ken
Newmar should be in there too. They are out of the 5th wheel business but still doing lots of Type A MH's
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 09:38 AM   #47

Keystone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck 1935 View Post
Why do the words, Keystone and Problem, often appear in the same sentence ?

I have been looking for a used 5th wheel and have seen quite a few Keystone models lately. I've seen water damage in the front corner that bubbled the vinyl wall covering. The worst one was the entire back wall destroyed by water from the big back window - totally visible in the small pass through from the outside, and when we opened the sofa flat, you could tell it was dripping from the wall covering. Unfortunately, I liked that unit, until I saw the problem. The sales guy claimed he had no idea.... Now I see they're raised the price of it, so they must have fixed it, but I'm taking Keystone off my list.
Old 08-27-2013, 11:01 AM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by expretj13 View Post
Hello all, I am brand new to this forum. I was hoping someone could give me some advice, not sure where else to turn! I have never owned an RV so I am very new at this whole thing. I bought a 2002 34' Keystone Montana 5th wheel about a week ago to live out of full time with my wife. And by "bought" I mean that I paid for it and signed documents, contingent upon walking through it with an inspector to make sure everything checks out. Keep in mind the inspector is employee for the RV lot where I bought it.

Today I walked through it and was pretty disturbed by what I saw. As we were walking through I noticed a soft spot on one of the slideouts. I pulled back the carpet and found that it was completely wet and rotted. I was able to stick my finger through the wood, it was soft as can be. The inspector really downplayed it, as did the owner of the RV sales place when I showed him. After looking through the rest of the trailer I found what I thought may be other signs of water damage, rust trails coming from the screws, possible mold in the cabinet. Problem is I really don't know what I am looking for or if it is a big deal. They made it sound like water damage in the slideout is a very common thing and said they would dig out the soft spots in the wood and cover it with resin.

I left with a very uneasy feeling. Not wanting to get myself into a $15,000 mistake, I made some calls to see if I could get someone NOT working for the RV place to come look it over, someone who knows what they are doing. So far no luck. My question is, what would you do if you were me? Would you walk away from it? It seemed like a really good deal and if they were to replace the floor and there were no other issues, I would be a "happy camper" We really love the layout and it has everything we need in an RV at a great price. I just don't want to make a big mistake.

Thanks in advance for your advice!
I wouldn't walk from the deal, but I would run!
Old 08-27-2013, 06:18 PM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiggie View Post

I wouldn't walk from the deal, but I would run!
Find a RV tech and pay him a couple of hundred dollars to do a per purchase inspection.
Old 08-28-2013, 07:15 AM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sloopygirl View Post

I have been looking for a used 5th wheel and have seen quite a few Keystone models lately. I've seen water damage in the front corner that bubbled the vinyl wall covering. The worst one was the entire back wall destroyed by water from the big back window - totally visible in the small pass through from the outside, and when we opened the sofa flat, you could tell it was dripping from the wall covering. Unfortunately, I liked that unit, until I saw the problem. The sales guy claimed he had no idea.... Now I see they're raised the price of it, so they must have fixed it, but I'm taking Keystone off my list.
How old of a unit? I got a 2007 Keystone this spring and it's awesome, no problems. It's about all you see around here. There are a couple other brands that escape me at the moment, see a few jaycos. Some of the brands you guys are taking about I've never even heard of. Always thought Keystone was one of the best cause they dominate my area. Some of you guys comments about them are starting to scare me!
Old 08-29-2013, 12:15 AM   #51

Update

Quote:
Originally Posted by SultanGris View Post
How old of a unit? I got a 2007 Keystone this spring and it's awesome, no problems. It's about all you see around here. There are a couple other brands that escape me at the moment, see a few jaycos. Some of the brands you guys are taking about I've never even heard of. Always thought Keystone was one of the best cause they dominate my area. Some of you guys comments about them are starting to scare me!
Good to know you like yours! We were so turned off from Keystones after that whole ordeal in my original post. However, we settled down and realized the blame should be placed on the dealer rather than the brand. There is a reason Keystones are the most popular make out there. We ended up going with a 2006 Keystone Cougar. Bought it from a private seller. Picking it up next week. We love it, we looked at dozens before settling on it. I took the advice of the people on this forum and had all of the RVs we were serious about inspected before purchasing, very sound advice. I would have liked to go with a Hitchhiker, Teton, Travel Surpreme, Alpenlite or some of the other high-end models that were suggested to me but alas I opted for towing safety... a 3/4 ton just won't cut it with those makes. And I like my truck!
Old 08-29-2013, 01:08 AM   #52

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Don't listen to everyone saying "walk away"
RUN........Run as fast as you can. The thing is a rotting piece of junk they're trying to DUMP on you.
Old 08-29-2013, 07:22 AM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by SultanGris View Post
How old of a unit? I got a 2007 Keystone this spring and it's awesome, no problems. It's about all you see around here. There are a couple other brands that escape me at the moment, me!

The ones I saw were about 2004 or so. The model I really like is the Springdale, but that was the one where the whole big window was leaking. I see they still have it for sale, but at a higher price - I'm hoping they fixed the back properly.
Old 08-29-2013, 07:46 AM   #54

Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
It boils down to this is what I think, there good and bad RV's in every brands.
Heck humans make them and I haven't meet a perfect human. So no perfect brands either.
So it's Friday afternoon there wanting to start there weekend, but want to hit there quota. So it goes out and someone might have a problem or not. Can there be a lemon, there is in ever thing humans do.
If you maintain it that's what matters. I have meet people complaining about there brand, but looking at it IM thinking have you ever did any thing to keep it up. I've also found new ones that had water pouring out the bottom because a pipe had come loose.

There's list on maintenance schedules for every brand get one and follow it as you go you'll add some to your list! Good info here! A lot more info!

Hopefully you won't have a problem, I've owned 2 Hitchhikers, loved them, did I have some problems yes. I just fixed them still like them I own a Carriage I love it. Hope it last a long time, if it don't I'd look at a Hitchhiker again.
I want a good frame under mine and Carriage made one of the best TO ME!
Go enjoy your unit.
Old 08-29-2013, 03:05 PM   #55

Doesn't matter who made the camper, drv, teton, etc. A leak not fixed quickly will rot floors. Believe me I know. My fridge drain was not routed properly and rotten out kitchen slide directly under fridge. My slide out ram was through the floor. this is a Mobile Suites too. I fixed it and it was quite a job. Buying used, go around each slide and push up on floor especially around the edges. If soft there is rot.

2003 Teton Grand Freedom. 2006 Freightliner Century 120 with Detroit 14L and Ultrashift.. Full time going from job to job. Building and maintaining plants across the USA. Sold 2006 Mobile Suites 32TK3
glennwest is offline   Reply With Quote