Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-03-2013, 05:18 PM   #15

Evergreen Owners Club
We have a 2014 Ford F350 (4x2) and a 2014 Bay Hill 320RS. We have the airbag shocks put on the truck and we have a Reese (Ford installed) hitch (18k?). We have weighed (ok DH has weighed) and all weights are within ratings. After reading all your comments (thank you!) my husband is looking at the Mor-Ryde and air/king pin right now on his iPad! He'll probably have some questions, but this looks like just what we need. Thank you all so much! PS - not sure we're ready to make the 5er to coach yet (since we just got this set-up)

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-03-2013, 05:24 PM   #16

Whoa, hold on a minute! You have a new Ford F350, I assume a SRW and not a dually. Why do you have air bags too?? Has he tried running with the air bags down around 5-10PSI? I have a sneaky suspicion that he had 40 or more pounds in the bags making the rear end way too stiff. Couple that with the possibility that your rear tires are overloaded and that may be your answer.

Holly molly I just looked up this floor plan. It has a GVWR over 14,000 pounds. That means you could have a pin weight as high as 3000 or more pounds. PLEASE PLEASE get the scaled weights and come back and post them. I have a sneaky suspicion that you could be way overloaded despite what your hubby is thinking. If that is the case, nothing is going to help except more truck or less trailer.

450Donn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 07:16 PM   #17

Just air the bags till the helpers barely touch the supports. It will lift the springs off the overload plates above the slavers.

I have a F250 with reinforced springs and solid pinbox. My unit is heavier then yours and rides like a caddy with no chucking.

With the helpers loaded the truck rides like a buckboard and to much air will float the rear and the shocks might not be enough. Because you unit has not enough pin weight and it actss like an oversprong duelly.

Also air your E range tires to 75psi empty. They will ride well.
Old 11-04-2013, 09:20 AM   #18

Evergreen Owners Club
Lots of great advice here. As newbie as well, a couple of questions. First how does the amount of air in the rear air bags affect the chucking? Seems more air would cushion the vertical bumps more and have little to do with the chucking. Is it the overall " stiffness" that makes the rebound feel more severe? Thanks for helping all of us rookies out!
Old 11-04-2013, 09:41 AM   #19

Not enough air and the springs do all the carrying of the weight. Too much air and the ride becomes too stiff. On HD trucks the lowest spring is an overload spring, it doesn't flex. Airbags and air shocks assist the springs to keep the ride gentle and from bottoming out.
NFlcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 10:15 AM   #20

None of what you describe sounds like normal 5th wheel towing to me. We have traveled about 24,000 miles pulling two different 5th wheels and have never encountered conditions like you describe. We traveled the back roads of Vermont and the freeways of LA, some REAL tests of a towed RV combination and there was no banging, chucking bouncing etc. Yeah, California potholes are a pain but they're rough on any vehicle. Something is wrong, I would look at all the things others have mentioned. I didn't see a signature that tells me what hitch, TV or 5th wheel you have but when towing a 5th wheel you shouldn't even notice it's there, I have to keep looking behind me to make sure I didn't forget to hook it up. My wife sometimes drives on long straight stretches and is always relaxed. More info about your combination might help us figure out what's wrong because something definitely is.....
road dogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 11:00 AM   #21

While I don't tow a heavy 5th wheel I have experimented with the suspension. My 5th pin is 17-1800lbs. The truck is a 12 Ram 2500. I installed some Timbens thinking I would need them to keep the rear more level. What I found out was that the extra stiffness of the rubber Timbrens made for a rougher ride. It kept the overload springs from being in full contact. I removed the Timbrens and the truck dropped another inch and the main spring pack settled onto the overload spring. Much smoother ride. What was happening before was that the Timbrens were letting the spring pack just touch the overload spring so on bumpy roads the springs would slam onto the overload spring. Now all the springs work in unison. Also I've experimented with tire pressure. I found that 80psi works better than 75psi. I'm way under my max load for the tires so I thought I would try different psi's.
With the Timbrens installed the truck only settled one inch, w/o them it settles two inches. I had to adjust my 5th hitch height and after installing the MorRyde pin box tweak it again. But now everything is level.
I'm not sure why you DH thinks he needs the airbags.
The 320RS has a relatively low pin weight. You need to go weigh everything. I'm guessing that your pin is in the 25-2800lb range. The F350 should be plenty of truck for that weight without airbags.

Have you tried towing w/o air in the bags? That would be the easiest test to try before spending money on a new pin box. You don't need a bigger truck that's for sure.
Old 11-04-2013, 12:12 PM   #22
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
See my signature below for what we tow and the truck we tow with. The 5th wheel is equipped with a Demco GlideRide pinbox, and the main problem I have is that when I'm driving, it's all too common to look around and find the wife, 2 Shelties and 1 cat sleeping. Seriously, the ride is that smooth. It really sounds like something is very amiss with your setup.

As far as driving is concerned, we've been towing 5th wheels since 1996, and my wife is very comfortable driving this rig. She probably drives as many miles as I do.

Rusty
2014.5 DRV Mobile Suites 38RSSA #6972
Come join us on a TEXAS BOOMERS rally!
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 01:42 PM   #23
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
ditto to what Rusty said. Difference is that my 5er came with a solid kingpin and Ii put on a TrailAir. When I'm driving, DW and dog is sleeping. When she drives, me and the dog are sleeping (notice that the dog is always sleeping!). I drive the morning shift while she drive the afternoon shift. There are day when she logs more miles than me.

2017 Solitude by Grand Design
2012 Ford F-450 Lariat
K-Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 08:54 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by caissiel View Post
Just air the bags till the helpers barely touch the supports. It will lift the springs off the overload plates above the slavers.

I have a F250 with reinforced springs and solid pinbox. My unit is heavier then yours and rides like a caddy with no chucking.

With the helpers loaded the truck rides like a buckboard and to much air will float the rear and the shocks might not be enough. Because you unit has not enough pin weight and it actss like an oversprong duelly.

Also air your E range tires to 75psi empty. They will ride well.
I drove 190 miles today and drove over wash board pavement and realty watched the movement of the truck and trailer.
1. The trailer was smooth, both at the axles and pin.
2. Therefore the rear of the truck drove smooth while the pin held it smooth.
3. The only thumping happening was the front tires forcing the front to move.

I observed this for at least 30 miles on the rough pavement.

This was happening with my setup described above with. 275-70-18 tires inflated at 72 psi empty and 75 psi loaded. Previous 265-70-17 were 75psi empty and exactly 80psi loaded.

I always air my tires loaded.

I believe you have to much air and the spring plies are loose.
Old 11-10-2013, 02:13 AM   #25

Are you riding in the 5th or the truck? Or do you have a massive trailer? Lol! I pulled a 30ft 9000 pound loaded with an f150 with no issues other than losing speed on hills. Even with 40 mph cross wind it pulled great with no bouncing or swaying. I recently upgraded to a 2013 srw f350 Platinum 6.7 diesel and it doesn't even know it's back there.
Old 11-10-2013, 02:26 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by 450Donn View Post
Whoa, hold on a minute! You have a new Ford F350, I assume a SRW and not a dually. Why do you have air bags too?? Has he tried running with the air bags down around 5-10PSI? I have a sneaky suspicion that he had 40 or more pounds in the bags making the rear end way too stiff. Couple that with the possibility that your rear tires are overloaded and that may be your answer.

Holly molly I just looked up this floor plan. It has a GVWR over 14,000 pounds. That means you could have a pin weight as high as 3000 or more pounds. PLEASE PLEASE get the scaled weights and come back and post them. I have a sneaky suspicion that you could be way overloaded despite what your hubby is thinking. If that is the case, nothing is going to help except more truck or less trailer.
Pin weight is 2130 per spec sheet. Payload for a fully loaded 4x4 srw crew cab f350 Platinum is around 3300, lesser trims and 4x2 would be even higher. They are well under the rating. You might be right about the air bags though, they shouldn't really even need them unless they load the front of the trailer heavy and have a much higher pin weight than the spec sheet advertises.
Old 11-10-2013, 04:25 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by caissiel View Post

I drove 190 miles today and drove over wash board pavement and realty watched the movement of the truck and trailer.
1. The trailer was smooth, both at the axles and pin.
2. Therefore the rear of the truck drove smooth while the pin held it smooth.
3. The only thumping happening was the front tires forcing the front to move.

I observed this for at least 30 miles on the rough pavement.

This was happening with my setup described above with. 275-70-18 tires inflated at 72 psi empty and 75 psi loaded. Previous 265-70-17 were 75psi empty and exactly 80psi loaded.

I always air my tires loaded.

I believe you have to much air and the spring plies are loose.
Drove on the same type of roads yesterday with the car and it was much rougher then with the truck and trailer.
Use your air bags to help the springs and you need your plies to be loaded for the truck to ride well. You will find the right balance.
Old 11-15-2013, 06:41 AM   #28

Talk about pins & needles-- my husband thinks hes in a race car ..70 mph and wants to be leader of the pack..i asked if he was trying to give me a heart attack or just enjoyed stressing me out...i am always telling him to slow down and enjoy the landscape..

Tags
5th wheel, anxious, nervous passenger, sweaty palms