Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-03-2015, 10:55 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOldMan76 View Post
I purchased a 1985 Alpenlight, which I'm in the process of refurbishing. Towed it home 80 miles and parked it. Felt like it had a wheel out of balance,
but smoothed out about halfway. While working on the interior, I happened to notice the rf tire has what looks like curb damage, and has raised a small bulge where it appears to have that damage. I'm getting close to having enough renovation done to take it on it's first trial run, about 50 miles round trip. I don't want to replace a set of tires until I assure that the unit is going to perform as expected. Will I have a problem only replacing that one tire for
that period of time? Can I put an LT tire on with the Goodyear trailer tires?
It's only a 25', but seems to be pretty heavy. I don't want to take a chance pulling it on that tire.
Tire mixing is not recommended. It’s okay for short emergencies such as using a mismatched spare to get to a tire shop for proper replacement.

How old are your tires? Here is a reference to help you find out.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/techpage.jsp?techid=11&s_kwcid=AL!3756!3!724546551 73!e!!g!!tire%20date%20codes&ef_id=VU@f2AAAAVxa6zd J:20150603164423:s

Tire history is a very important thing to know. You have already found one damaged. Severe damage is not always visible.

Make sure your replacement tires have as much load capacity as the trailer manufacturer has recommended on the certification label - if you can find one, it should be on the left external section of the trailer. It will also be in the owner’s manual if you were lucky enough to get one from the previous owner.

FastEagle
FastEagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-03-2015, 11:02 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOldMan76 View Post
I purchased a 1985 Alpenlight, which I'm in the process of refurbishing. Towed it home 80 miles and parked it. Felt like it had a wheel out of balance,
but smoothed out about halfway. While working on the interior, I happened to notice the rf tire has what looks like curb damage, and has raised a small bulge where it appears to have that damage. I'm getting close to having enough renovation done to take it on it's first trial run, about 50 miles round trip. I don't want to replace a set of tires until I assure that the unit is going to perform as expected. Will I have a problem only replacing that one tire for
It's only a 25', but seems to be pretty heavy. I don't want to take a chance pulling it on that tire.
Taking a look at this picture - rear tire at about 5 O'Clock position, you will see a little lump. This was explained to me by a tire engineer from BFG that this was where the ply fabric ends are overlain (seam).. All of my tires exhibit this bump when the seam gets to a point of rotation where the weight is on them.

These are ST tires on my trailer and I have already purchased the Load Range G tires to replace them.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	182.2 KB
ID:	96115  
Old 06-03-2015, 07:39 PM   #31

Quote:
I'm getting close to having enough renovation done to take it on it's first trial run, about 50 miles round trip. I don't want to replace a set of tires until I assure that the unit is going to perform as expected. Will I have a problem only replacing that one tire for
A trailer is a very forgiving vehicle when it comes to using different tires.

One of the biggest reasons its recommended tire on the same axle should be the same diameter/load range/tread design is unequal braking performance at the axle ends especially on wet pavement. You should have no problem on your 50 mile run but just be aware of braking differences.
JIMNLIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2015, 07:31 AM   #32

Carlisle tires are made in America. Their RH trailer tires are available rated "L" and "N", 75mph and 87mph respectively.
2016 Wildcat 295RSX - 2015 GMC 2500HD DblCab Duramax/Allison 4x4 Z71 6.6' Bed Maxxis 16"E; AirBags; MorRyde RPB Andersen UltimateII Curt 4"offset;GrndCntrl 3.0 4pt;6K# Dexters;CRE3K w/Wetbolts; Champ.3100 Invrtr;Furrion48 Cam;Dish Sat, 10' Portabote
hbillsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2015, 09:52 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by hbillsmith View Post
Carlisle tires are made in America. Their RH trailer tires are available rated "L" and "N", 75mph and 87mph respectively.
Maybe or maybe not according to Carlisle' Website
The Carlstar Group
Quote:
Carlisle Trailer Tires

Where are Carlisle tires made?
Depending upon which Carlisle tire you select, the tire could have been made in a U.S. factory or elsewhere. We are an American company committed to American manufacturing and standards.
Old 06-16-2015, 06:59 PM   #34

My 2016 Heartland 3160EL Bighorn came factory with Sailun ST235/85R16
KerrTx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2015, 07:08 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by KerrTx View Post
My 2016 Heartland 3160EL Bighorn came factory with Sailun ST235/85R16

That's pretty encouraging actually... Those tires are the heaviest trailer tires I have ever bought..

Regards - Randy & Dar
2015 F350 CC-DRW-409 Diesel / 2008 Rage'n Stryker 4005 Toy Hauler / 2014 Arctic Cat Wildcat Trail-XT
Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum
Old 06-16-2015, 08:12 PM   #36

Ford Super Duty Owner
I just bought a set of Sailun ST235/85R16 to replace the "new" tires on a 2015 Carbon Toy hauler... Seems to be "rebranding" going on with Power King / Trailer King - at least that's my assumption at this point and I'm not going to take the chance.

Make sure the rims are rated for tire pressure. Make sure valves are rated for tire pressure.
cb1000rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2015, 08:38 PM   #37

Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jpdkmd View Post
Does anyone know of any American made tires for a fifth wheel? Everyone I've seen on lots all have Chinese tires!
It would help if we knew a couple of things.
- What type, size and Load Ranger are your current tires?
- What is the measured load on each tire? If you don't know that what is the measured load on each axle?

With this information it is then possible for us to make an informed suggestion rather than just a guess.
Old 06-16-2015, 08:46 PM   #38

Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big-Foot View Post
Taking a look at this picture - rear tire at about 5 O'Clock position, you will see a little lump. This was explained to me by a tire engineer from BFG that this was where the ply fabric ends are overlain (seam).. All of my tires exhibit this bump when the seam gets to a point of rotation where the weight is on them.

These are ST tires on my trailer and I have already purchased the Load Range G tires to replace them.
Its very important to be sure we are talking about a sidewall depression or a raised ridge.
The "splice" where there is a few extra cords of body ply where layers were overlaped during tire assembly. This normally results in a depression. This is of little concern and is basically just cosmetic.

A raised ridge running from the tread toward the rim may be either an "open splice" where the body plys are not overlapped, or there could actually be broken body cords from a pot hole or curb damage. This is of concern as there is a potential for a sidewall break and rapid air loss.

Tags
tires