Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-22-2015, 04:38 PM   #1

American Tires

Does anyone know of any American made tires for a fifth wheel? Everyone I've seen on lots all have Chinese tires!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-22-2015, 04:59 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Goodyear Marthon's that I have are made in USA, they are on my 5th Wheel.

Old 05-22-2015, 05:00 PM   #3

Check out tirerack.com, pick your size tire, then click on the 'specs' tab. You can see the country of origin for the tire here. BTW, on my 30' 5ver, I use LT (light truck) tires, 16" Firestone and they work great. I keep 'em at the max pressure marked on the sidewall (80psi). On my 21' TT, I replaced the chinese junk tires with Goodyear Marathon ST tires (made in China). Bought 'em at a walmart in Mo on a sunday after I found a sidewall about to blow, caught it at a fuel stop on the turnpike. Wish I took that tire monkey's name down, he did a great job and those Marathons hold pressure perfectly! The Marathons were twice what I paid for the chinese tires that I bought previously; money well spent. Other than brakes (consider installing disc brakes on your 5ver), what is more important than tires to the safety of you and your family.
cruzbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2015, 08:36 PM   #4

The only made in USA tires for your trailer will be the LT tire.

Or some of the euro sized all position tires have become very dependable.
JIMNLIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2015, 08:46 PM   #5

BF Goodrich Commercial T/A
Old 05-23-2015, 01:05 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_vfox View Post
Goodyear Marthon's that I have are made in USA, they are on my 5th Wheel.
If your Marathons are made in the US, they must be aging.

The newer Marathons are Chinese made, and they're just like all the other Chinese tires--poor quality--(Except Sailuns.)
Old 05-23-2015, 01:15 AM   #7

I just switched the tires on my new fifth wheel to Bridgestone Duravis R250 ribbed tires. Michelin also has a LTX ribbed tire that's more expensive than my tire and both are comparable in quality. The other great tire is the Goodyear G614, but it's substantially more expensive than the above tires.

One tire that's very well priced is the Sailun G rated tire--Chinese. I've never heard a bad word about it. Sailun tire dealers are somewhat rare, however. You must have the wheels rated for 125 lbs. to use a G tire.

I bought my Bridgestones at Costco for $197 each. They're twin steel belted bead to bead, and the sidewalls look like they're 1" each--very heavy duty. The Costco manager said they're usually put on 1 ton service trucks with utility beds and small cranes. He said they've never had a single Durvis tire problem, and that expect 140K to 150K miles usage out of them.
Old 05-23-2015, 08:27 AM   #8

On my old trailer that I just traded in I was running Michelin XPS Ribs; an all position tire that can be used on trailers. This is an e- rated tire sizes are limited but Discount tire can get them and they will last forever.

Jim W.
Old 05-23-2015, 06:31 PM   #9

Forest River Owners Club
You didn't mention size, but Goodyear G614's are made in America and one of the best trailer tires out there. They only come in one size though. 235/85/16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamaman View Post
One tire that's very well priced is the Sailun G rated tire--Chinese. I've never heard a bad word about it. Sailun tire dealers are somewhat rare, however. You must have the wheels rated for 125 lbs. to use a G tire.
Sailun are also excellent and less $. However, load range G (which they both are) require 110 PSI rims. Not 125...
Old 05-23-2015, 08:37 PM   #10

New Horizons Owners Club
I run Goodyear G114s, but those are a 17.5 inch.
Just make sure you get a fresh manufacture date.
Old 05-24-2015, 08:56 AM   #11

Mine arent American but I think they will suffice. I removed my less than 1 year old 235x80/16 E rated Trailer King tires and installed Geo Star 235x85/16 14 ply G rated 110 psi tires. Wheels stamped 110 psi on back side. Les Schwab carriers these and they had my tires there as well. Just pushing down on the tire (uninstalled) was night and day difference in side wall flex..
Old 05-25-2015, 10:14 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cvsteed View Post
Mine arent American but I think they will suffice. I removed my less than 1 year old 235x80/16 E rated Trailer King tires and installed Geo Star 235x85/16 14 ply G rated 110 psi tires. Wheels stamped 110 psi on back side. Les Schwab carriers these and they had my tires there as well. Just pushing down on the tire (uninstalled) was night and day difference in side wall flex..
Agreed. I replaced 2 month old 235 80 16 Trailer Kings that came with my new trailer. Trailer Kings are terrible tires. The side walls on the Trailer Kings felt like butter when deflated. Shame on me for allowing my dealer to get away with those. I replaced mine with Taskmaster Provider 235 85 16 F835's. 14 ply, G rated to 4080 pounds @ 110 psi. The sidewalls do not flex at all when deflated. The tire weighs 44 lbs. This is a much more appropriate tire for a large trailer. They tow better and my gas mileage went up. Night and day difference in quality compared to the Trailer Kings.

If you are reading this and looking to buy a trailer, make sure they to do not have Trailer Kings.
Old 05-26-2015, 11:56 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by raineman View Post

If you are reading this and looking to buy a trailer, make sure they to do not have Trailer Kings.

Or TowMax, same junk tires with a different name.
Old 05-29-2015, 10:57 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamaman View Post
If your Marathons are made in the US, they must be aging.

The newer Marathons are Chinese made, and they're just like all the other Chinese tires--poor quality--(Except Sailuns.)
You are spreading old news that isn't true today. There were problems when they first went to China but those problems have been resolved. Goodyear has the same quality standards no matter where their products are made.
If everyone is so worried about quality then why does everyone shop primarily price?
If you want quality then use Michelin Ribs and don't worry about the price. They will never let you down and you will have one less thing to worry about as you go down the road. Only limited sizes though.
If Airstream uses Marathons as original equipment then that says something. Do you think that the best quality travel trailer would not make another decision if it was better. Of course price comes into play but to have Airstream and Northwood use Goodyear is a good recommendation.

Tags
tires