Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-22-2013, 12:01 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Heartland RV Club
An honest Heartland Big Country Review

Last fall we decided to trade our DP Motor home on a fifth wheel, in November we found a new 3650TS Big Country by Heartland. The DW loved the floorplan, I loved the price, it was a floor model and the last one they had left. We got it for under 40k, it did have a small scratch on the front and was otherwise in pristine condition. (It buffed out!)

We were not ableto use it until last month and just returned from a three week stay on the Washington Pennisula. Here is what I found.

1. Towing-we bought a 1 ton Dodge 350 long bed, the fifth wheel towed like a dream, much easier that our 28ft Keystone tt we had, we were an hour and a half in Seattle traffic, no problems*if you buy a truck make sure it has an exhaust brake! It also is a piece of cake to back up and get into tight spots. (Yes it is 38ft)

2. It has more room for living than our Winnebego Journey 36L. We simply felt at home every night. The fireplace was a huge plus on those cold coastal mornings.

3. Set up was simple but did take a few minutes longer than the MH. We loved having our truck to drive out on the ocean beaches!!

4. Issues, after watching this sight for a year I was a little worried but found it was for naught. Everything worked and was easy to access. The two issues we had were. 1 The bathroom sink would not hold water. 2 The indicator light for waste water alway showed 2/3 full or full.

5. Would I reccomend the fifth wheel to a friend, absolutely. I also would reccomend buying a new truck or fifth wheel at the end of the year. We got both for the MSRP on a new Big Country! And we save over a $100.00 on insurance and we are getting almost twice the mpg.

Hope this is helpful, I can't wait to go full time!!!!
zagguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-22-2013, 02:55 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Congrats on the Big Country. They are real beauties when I meet one coming down the highway. One suggestion I have, get rid of those Power King Towmax tires, if they are still on it. There's nothing worse than seeing a gorgeous new rig like yours with the side shredded. The Heartland Owners forum is full of reports on them. I was fortunate to have read about them and took my Cyclone straight to Discount Tire.
2022 F350 DRW King Ranch 4 x 4
Scottybdivin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 09:25 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Heartland RV Club
Thanks

I will check out the tires and appreciate the info1
zagguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 11:39 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by zagguy View Post
Last fall we decided to trade our DP Motor home on a fifth wheel, in November we found a new 3650TS Big Country by Heartland. The DW loved the floorplan, I loved the price, it was a floor model and the last one they had left. We got it for under 40k, it did have a small scratch on the front and was otherwise in pristine condition. (It buffed out!)

We were not ableto use it until last month and just returned from a three week stay on the Washington Pennisula. Here is what I found.

1. Towing-we bought a 1 ton Dodge 350 long bed, the fifth wheel towed like a dream, much easier that our 28ft Keystone tt we had, we were an hour and a half in Seattle traffic, no problems*if you buy a truck make sure it has an exhaust brake! It also is a piece of cake to back up and get into tight spots. (Yes it is 38ft)

2. It has more room for living than our Winnebego Journey 36L. We simply felt at home every night. The fireplace was a huge plus on those cold coastal mornings.

3. Set up was simple but did take a few minutes longer than the MH. We loved having our truck to drive out on the ocean beaches!!

4. Issues, after watching this sight for a year I was a little worried but found it was for naught. Everything worked and was easy to access. The two issues we had were. 1 The bathroom sink would not hold water. 2 The indicator light for waste water alway showed 2/3 full or full.

5. Would I reccomend the fifth wheel to a friend, absolutely. I also would reccomend buying a new truck or fifth wheel at the end of the year. We got both for the MSRP on a new Big Country! And we save over a $100.00 on insurance and we are getting almost twice the mpg.

Hope this is helpful, I can't wait to go full time!!!!
We full-time in a BC for past 4 years and love it. Have G LR tires and it towes like a dream. You will see if you can install them on your wheels.
Old 07-23-2013, 08:15 AM   #5

We were really impressed with the Heartland assembly line when we visited the factory a few years ago. They have a unique way of moving the units down the line, and it was a very snappy operation with lots of energy and enthusiasm...

(pics from the tour are at the end of this post: Elkhart, IN - RV Factories and Amish Country)

We bought our truck and trailer brand new, and the trailer was at the end of the model year (bought an '07 in May of '08). What a smoking deal we got!! We would definitely buy that way again. I know when we sell, the model year will be one year older than the amount of time we've used it... but the savings on the front end are so worth it!!

Congrats on your smart purchase and your excellent review!!
Groovy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 11:50 PM   #6

gave a lot of thought to buying one of those big country 5th wheels myself ended up with a grand design solitude didn't really do much comparing I just liked the floor plan on the 369rl, would like to install an exhaust brake I tow with a 3500 dodge 4x4 short box
longshot is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
heartland