Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-05-2015, 09:44 PM   #15

Nor'easters Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Cut the last 10' of the cord, add male/female ends at the cut. More times then not you will likely not need the extra 10'. Store that 10' section in separate compartment, use as necessary. The now shortened cord will fit much easier in the small storage compartment.

Dan Callahan, North Jersey
2008 Fleetwood Excursion 40E
Freightliner, Cummins, Allison
It's not the Destination or the Journey
It's the Excursion
DebnDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-06-2015, 08:54 AM   #16

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
When I got my Rig I purchased some extension cords, in addition to one (30 amp) I already had in stock I got a 2nd 30 amp, this one was brightly colored plastic jacket instead of black rubber.

At 20 degrees it rolls up like it does at 90,, I mean limp rag stiffness.

They make 'em in 50 amp too

You should be able to get an entire shore cord in that material if not.. Camping World and many other RV dealers carry SHORT RV shore cords

30 or 50 amp plug on one end, then around 1-2 feet of cord and a 50 amp (or 30 if that's what you need) Marinco outelt.

One of each and you are gold.
Old 01-06-2015, 09:42 AM   #17

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
This is why I like my 30a cord with EMS to handle the load sharing. (-:
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 10:05 AM   #18

Ford Super Duty Owner
This is why I bought a Pace Arrow with a 30 amp cord. with the shed system, I can run both AC's in the summer and both ceramic heaters in the winter. I installed a TDI reel and it is a pleasure to operate. Plus the 35 foot cord means I almost never have to use a extension cord.
Old 01-06-2015, 04:09 PM   #19

When rubber cord is made, the wires are twisted together and then covered with the insulation specifically to eliminate induction (also to make them round - then a piece of twisted paper is added to make it really round).

I have used cords of every make and model for the last 40 years as an electrician...the only cords that have gotten melted are the ones that are asked to run devices with too much distance and the resistance goes up and the cable gets hot. If they are coiled the heat can't dissipate and melting may occur (never done one myself - I have gotten them warm, though), so if your cord is getting warm you are probably using too small a wire gauge at too long a distance. 100' of #16 running even a small motor is likely to get warm, while 100' of #12 runs my trailer's A/C with out any problem.

Coil away! And use them that way, if you like...

What is a 'shed system'?

Tim
Timay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 04:35 PM   #20

I've felt your pain. One posted said it was like wrestling an Anaconda. My 50 amp cord was 30 feet and this RV does not have space for a reel. So I had it cut it half with new male and female ends added. I’ve never needed the second 15 feet.
lenjen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 05:46 PM   #21
IC2

When we made a Canada swing last fall, I never took the aptly named 'anaconda' (50 amp cord) out of the storage bay, using only my 30 amp extension cord and adapter. The electrical gadgets all ran just fine including a couple days with the a/c. Even our normal summer campsite has just 30 amp service and the a/c works fine but not with the HW heater too. You just have to use common sense in what you turn on at the same time.

I would say that if you were to buy a 25 to 35 foot 30 amp extension cord for those cool weather trips, life would be much simpler then snake wrasslin'.
IC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 06:34 PM   #22

Workhorse Chassis Owner
In the past I have coiled up my ( figure 8s) 50 amp cord and used a regular ext cord as long as it is 12 guage it will be okay for an overnight and early morning departure in cold weather. Now if we are watching tv and using the microwave in addition to the heat I will use the 30 amp ext cord.
Dagwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 07:03 PM   #23

Wrestling an anaconda... OK, good analogy. My 5er doesn't have a space for a 30 foot 50 amp drop cable except for the hurt locker (My under bedroom storage bay). I usually throw mine into my truck bed and put it away after it's been running home in the back of the truck. I can't believe you guys never use a drop cable longer then 30 feet ?!? I keep 2 20 foot cable extensions in my rig. I use them all the time. I often pull into campgrouds that only have back in sights available but the campground is otherwise full. I can not, at 3 in the morning, back a 40 foot fiver in with little or no room. I just pull in and deal with it in the morning when I'm rested and not so cranky or apt to have an accident. In those cases your cord is no where near long enough. Don't get me started on campgrounds who allow cars or trucks parked on the road sides preventing a large 5er from backing in.
-Paul R. Haller-
Paul R. Haller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 07:21 PM   #24

Excel Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Coastal Campers
The PO of our Excel took everything that wasn't nailed down and a few things that were. They took the 50AMP cord that came with the unit, so CW gave us a new one. It is made by Furion and isn't nearly as stiff, as others that I have wrestled with. Just a thought...

EMD_Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 08:47 PM   #25

Thanks for all the replies. I'm thinking of cutting the 30' cord into two sections or buying a 30a cord.
ralphie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 10:36 PM   #26

Excel Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Coastal Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by ralphie View Post
Thanks for all the replies. I'm thinking of cutting the 30' cord into two sections or buying a 30a cord.
I forgot to mention the fact that we also carry a 30A cord, with a 50A Marinco end on it. Our rig only has one A/C, so the 30A service should work out ok. If not, we always have the 50A cord!
EMD_Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2015, 10:16 AM   #27

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timay View Post
When rubber cord is made, the wires are twisted together and then covered with the insulation specifically to eliminate induction (also to make them round - then a piece of twisted paper is added to make it really round).

I have used cords of every make and model for the last 40 years as an electrician...the only cords that have gotten melted are the ones that are asked to run devices with too much distance and the resistance goes up and the cable gets hot. If they are coiled the heat can't dissipate and melting may occur (never done one myself - I have gotten them warm, though), so if your cord is getting warm you are probably using too small a wire gauge at too long a distance. 100' of #16 running even a small motor is likely to get warm, while 100' of #12 runs my trailer's A/C with out any problem.

Coil away! And use them that way, if you like...

What is a 'shed system'?

Tim
A lot of older RVers were having a problem with coiling the 50 amp cord in the wintertime. Intellitec corp. came up with a SHED system. It uses a 30 amp cord and will shed some of the load if you try to over draw the amps. If you have two Air conditioners going and turn on the microwave. The system will shed (turn off) the compressor on one AC so you have enough power to run the microwave. If you are using the microwave for an extended amount of time, It will run the front AC for 8 minutes and then shut it down (the compressor) and run the rear AC for 5 minutes.
Old 01-07-2015, 10:36 AM   #28

Our first "practice" fifth wheel, an Arctic Fox, came with a nice 30A power cord that flexed and stored easily, never gave it a second thought even in freezing weather. When we upsized to a bigger AF, the new one came with a 50A cord and power reel I thought it was a frivolous accessory and didn't see why it was needed. Now I do....
road dogs is offline   Reply With Quote