Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Reply
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 12-10-2015, 09:44 AM   #15
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 2,207
The Andersen won't eliminate chucking period. Those that say no chucking either never had it in the 1st place or the hitch they replaced was real sloppy.
If someone buys an Andersen then goes out and buys a 5th wheel that he's never towed before and has no chucking, that doesn't mean the Andersen eliminated the chucking. How does he know the 5th wheel would cause chucking with any other hitch.
Not all 5th wheels chuck. If the Andersen eliminates chucking then that means I can tow with a 5% pin weight and the front of the 5th wheel 3" higher than the rear while traveling over the worst concrete expansion joint highway.
__________________

__________________
Cumminsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-10-2015, 10:08 AM   #16
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 254
I followed up on this topic reading reviews of which over 90% of owners of Andersen hitches seem to be deliriously happy (which I do not mean in a satirical way). Check out the reviews on Amazon to read the results for a sampling.

I found only one report of component failure and an additional note that some states require safety chains with any hitch using a ball coupling. That owner was unaware of the law and was required to unhitch by a Texas state trooper where he was and could not move the fiver until chains were installed, if I am reading his post correctly.

Dozens and dozens of owners continue to report it either greatly reduced or completely eliminated chucking Not all reported complete elimination of chucking! (I am assuming common sense was employed in terms of leveling, fifth wheel weight distribution, pin weight, and so forth).

That leaves me with only a few possibilities. Either the Andersen hitch really does work as well as people are describing. Owners reporting high levels of satisfaction are delusional. Or none of them have fifth wheels that ever had an issue with chucking and don't know what it is (although more than one sounded knowledgeable on the subject).

It seems safe to at least conclude Andersen hitch owners are satisfied with their purchase. Some sound like they are glowing! Now I have to admit, I don't understand how the effect can be so dramatic as not all traditional hitches have slop, but it is difficult to overlook so many reports which seem to be consistent. I also do not understand why neither of the main suppliers to dealerships are distributing Andersen hitches. Maybe the company is still too small to be on their radar screens.

Steve
__________________

__________________
Steve & Andra
02 Ford Powerstroke 7.3
Current "Next Last" RV - 08 Copper Canyon
Mr_Fixit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2015, 10:26 AM   #17
Senior Member
 
77Travco's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Kerrville, Texas
Posts: 160
Looks like just the ticket for flatbed setups!
__________________
77Travco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2015, 11:32 AM   #18
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 1,346
The hitch has NOTHING to do with "CHUCKING". Its the fore and aft movement between the RV and TV that gives the on and off tugging feel. Loose hitch is just a loose hitch.

Andersen is fine with a lighter RV. On the upper limits the frame base will cause bed deflection with the fore and aft motion of the RV.

No way to lock RV to hitch is a big Negative.
__________________
Cummins12V98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2015, 11:59 AM   #19
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 254
It does lock the RV to the ball just as a travel trailer or horse trailer locks to the ball.

How do you actually account for the wide ranging reports of reduced chucking. This is not from a few owners? The number reporting improvement is very large and borders on universal from owners? Simply saying they are wrong doesn't account for their self-reports.

I don't know. I am just reporting what I have found.

Steve
__________________
Steve & Andra
02 Ford Powerstroke 7.3
Current "Next Last" RV - 08 Copper Canyon
Mr_Fixit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2015, 12:47 PM   #20
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Fixit View Post
I followed up on this topic reading reviews of which over 90% of owners of Andersen hitches seem to be deliriously happy (which I do not mean in a satirical way). Check out the reviews on Amazon to read the results for a sampling.

I found only one report of component failure and an additional note that some states require safety chains with any hitch using a ball coupling. That owner was unaware of the law and was required to unhitch by a Texas state trooper where he was and could not move the fiver until chains were installed, if I am reading his post correctly.

Dozens and dozens of owners continue to report it either greatly reduced or completely eliminated chucking Not all reported complete elimination of chucking! (I am assuming common sense was employed in terms of leveling, fifth wheel weight distribution, pin weight, and so forth).

That leaves me with only a few possibilities. Either the Andersen hitch really does work as well as people are describing. Owners reporting high levels of satisfaction are delusional. Or none of them have fifth wheels that ever had an issue with chucking and don't know what it is (although more than one sounded knowledgeable on the subject).

It seems safe to at least conclude Andersen hitch owners are satisfied with their purchase. Some sound like they are glowing! Now I have to admit, I don't understand how the effect can be so dramatic as not all traditional hitches have slop, but it is difficult to overlook so many reports which seem to be consistent. I also do not understand why neither of the main suppliers to dealerships are distributing Andersen hitches. Maybe the company is still too small to be on their radar screens.

Steve
The problem with your analogy is the manufactures web site. Go to any manufactures web site and the consensus would be a positive feedback.
It's a determination that you will live with, right or wrong, happy or sad. We're just stating our opinions and experiences. Your RV weight is less than 10,000lbs. What is the smallest diameter of the hitch ball vs smallest diameter of king pin?
__________________
Maverick50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2015, 12:47 PM   #21
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 329
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cummins12V98 View Post
The hitch has NOTHING to do with "CHUCKING". Its the fore and aft movement between the RV and TV that gives the on and off tugging feel. Loose hitch is just a loose hitch.

Andersen is fine with a lighter RV. On the upper limits the frame base will cause bed deflection with the fore and aft motion of the RV.

No way to lock RV to hitch is a big Negative.
On Chucking, the hitch has everything to do with chucking. The only thing between the RV and TV is the hitch.

There is NO bed deflection when the Andersen is properly torqued to 50 ft-lbs.

If I were towing your 23,000 lb rv with 6000 lb pin weight I would also use another hitch. Not everybody has a 6000 lb pin weight.

I don't see the Big Negative about locking the RV to the hitch. You have the only setup that I've seen in my 30 years of towing that has pad locks on everything.
__________________
'14 RAM Longhorn,DRW,4x4,CC, LB, 4.10, Aisin, 70gal underbed fuel tank.
Lifestyle 36FW, 8000lb axles, disk brakes, 19,100lbs
Andersen AL Ultimate hitch
rskeans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2015, 01:43 PM   #22
IC2
Senior Member
 
IC2's Avatar


 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Upstate New York
Posts: 1,879
I have a B&W with no chucking on two different pretty good sized 5ers. That is unless the base attachments were loose - and that only happened a couple times on my Ford 5er option. If I didn't have that B&W 20K hitch, I would seriously consider an Anderson.

If the Anderson uses a hitch ball attachment and there is chucking, that coupler needs some attention or else the interface to the truck chassis has a loose component.

To that statement hitch ball size vs a 5er pin - most TT hitch balls are usually 2-5/16 while a king pin is 2".
__________________
Dave W along with my DW, Susan and our poodlepups, Callie & Molly,2011 Ford F250 6.7 CCLB, 5er Hitch Option w/B&W Hitch,,Ride Rite air bags, 2014 Montana High Country 343RL (38')
IC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2015, 02:05 PM   #23
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 254
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick50 View Post
The problem with your analogy is the manufactures web site. Go to any manufactures web site and the consensus would be a positive feedback.
It's a determination that you will live with, right or wrong, happy or sad. We're just stating our opinions and experiences. Your RV weight is less than 10,000lbs. What is the smallest diameter of the hitch ball vs smallest diameter of king pin?
I didn't go to a manufacturers website and what about the folks in this forum. Should I also simply disregard the folks here. If that is the case, why should anyone post anything at all.

I am not towing with an Andersen, I have a conventional hitch, and I have no dog in this fight. What I am responding to is not being stated as an opinion. It is being stated as a fact. At the same time, the reports of actual owners are being responded to as though they are not fact. I don't get it. If a hitch really does not impact chucking, I am totally willing to accept that. As I stated, I do not understand how an Andersen hitch reduces chucking. The reports that it does interest me.

It really very easy to find negative reports on virtually any RV you name via the Internet. That doesn't seem to be the case with Andersen hitches, maybe they are there and I just haven't found them, but it is not for lack of trying.

Steve
__________________
Steve & Andra
02 Ford Powerstroke 7.3
Current "Next Last" RV - 08 Copper Canyon
Mr_Fixit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2015, 02:37 PM   #24
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 26
I too have the Ultimate 5th Wheel Hitch and as this is my first 5th wheel, I haven't a clue what "chucking" is. But I did tow my new 5er from Ogden to Boise without a single bang, groan, or grind from the hitch connection. As someone else pointed out, 90% of owners deliriously happy with their Andersen. I too scoured the internet for reviews on the Andersen because I'd never heard of it and the dealer was throwing in the hitch and a B&W Turnover Gooseneck hitch as part of the purchase. The only negative reviews I could seem to find were from self-appointed mechanical engineers who'd never actually used or seen it in use. The only "issue" I've had so far (I've only hooked and unhooked it twice) is lining it up with the kingpin coupler. My truck's rear seat head rest is positioned perfectly to block the ball. I do have a couple of 36" fluorescent yellow guide poles I used for hitching up my previous tow-behind campers but they don't work because the Andersen hitch ball and kingpin adapted are aluminum so the magnets on the pole don't work. Once I figure this little conundrum out, it should be as easy hitching up as my tow-behinds.
__________________
EagleFixer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2015, 02:54 PM   #25
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 254
You know, I have read comments about things not working on multiple hitches of all persuasions in various forums on the Internet (not this one). I have also read discussions for years about things to do and not do in terms of use and repair which I question ever occur.

So far all I seen here is folks who own the product saying they are well pleased and folks who have not owned it saying the ones who own it are wrong or there is some problem with it. What am I missing?

An inquiring mind wants to know.

Steve
__________________
Steve & Andra
02 Ford Powerstroke 7.3
Current "Next Last" RV - 08 Copper Canyon
Mr_Fixit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2015, 03:13 PM   #26
IC2
Senior Member
 
IC2's Avatar


 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Upstate New York
Posts: 1,879
Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleFixer View Post
........The only "issue" I've had so far (I've only hooked and unhooked it twice) is lining it up with the kingpin coupler. My truck's rear seat head rest is positioned perfectly to block the ball........

Just a quick off topic - if you have a late model Ford, that center headrest is easily removed by pushing a couple releases on the extending rods and giving it a slight yank. The two side headrests can also be removed the same way. I 'assume' other brands headrests come out the same way. I have all three of mine out normally as seldom do I have back seat riders other then our two pup. What a difference in rearward viewing with them removed plus you can easily see the pin and hitch.

Now, back to the subject:

Steve - you ain't gonna win !!!
__________________
Dave W along with my DW, Susan and our poodlepups, Callie & Molly,2011 Ford F250 6.7 CCLB, 5er Hitch Option w/B&W Hitch,,Ride Rite air bags, 2014 Montana High Country 343RL (38')
IC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2015, 03:30 PM   #27
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 254
I know it Dave. i just have this crazy idea that input from folks who actually own what they are discussing may have a tiny bit of validity. Of course, there is still my fall-back position, they all ate the mushrooms and are delusional. Oh no, not you too!

Steve
__________________
Steve & Andra
02 Ford Powerstroke 7.3
Current "Next Last" RV - 08 Copper Canyon
Mr_Fixit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2015, 04:43 PM   #28
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 2,207
Help me understand something here. If I have a 5er that's 2-3" high in the front or/and less than 20% for pin weight and is chucking, I can then install and Anderson 5th hitch and it will cure a poorly designed and poorly setup 5th wheel that's chucking.
Sounds like a magic elixir for 5th wheel towing.


Or better yet if I go out and buy my 1st 5th wheel, have an Andersen 5th hitch installed, then take it out for a tow and low and behold NO CHUCKING. Wow who would've thought it would cure a problem that didn't exist in the 1st place.




To be serious for a moment. If the Andersen was available when I got the B&W I would've bought it. I think it's a great hitch. If in fact it really does stop chucking on a properly setup 5th wheel then I would sell my B&W and get one. I just don't see how it would.


The problem with this topic is there's never enough information to form a complete story. Guys say it stops chucking but never explain what the chucking was caused by.


It reminds me of the guy that say a TT tows as well as a 5th wheel. After you dig into his story you find out he's towing an R-Pod with a long bed 3/4 ton truck. But he will defend his opinion without ever giving reasons why.
__________________

__________________
Cumminsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Fifth Wheel Hitch Question AboutTime Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion 5 05-20-2015 05:21 AM
How much extra capacity for a fifth wheel hitch do I purchase? computernerd 5th Wheel Discussion 15 02-16-2015 06:01 PM
Best 5th wheel hitch? Batten54 Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion 8 01-27-2014 06:00 PM

» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:52 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.