Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-17-2015, 07:30 AM   #85

$$$napOn
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-17-2015, 11:07 AM   #86

I was lucky to find two Proto torque wrenches on CL for dirt cheap from a guy that used them on one project.. One up to 100# and the other up to 250.
Cummins12V98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2015, 06:25 PM   #87

I like the idea of not having rails in my truck. Can someone tell me what is involved with installing a ball on the floor of my truck so I can secure the Anderson hitch to the ball? Also, with that type of set up, is it relatively easy to remove the ball so the bed is completely free of obstructions? I am new to the 5er world, and have just purchased a 40' Solitude and Ford F350. The last piece of the puzzle is a hitch.
m3gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2015, 07:15 AM   #88

A friend of mine was going to buy the Anderson for his new F450 but ended up just swapping out his pin box to the Reese Goosebox. Only thing in his bed is the gooseneck ball and the Goosebox has shock absorption also. Its a nice setup for sure and if I didn't have my Hensley TS3 I'd consider it I think.
C130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2015, 08:28 AM   #89

Quote:
Originally Posted by m3gene View Post
I like the idea of not having rails in my truck. Can someone tell me what is involved with installing a ball on the floor of my truck so I can secure the Anderson hitch to the ball? Also, with that type of set up, is it relatively easy to remove the ball so the bed is completely free of obstructions? I am new to the 5er world, and have just purchased a 40' Solitude and Ford F350. The last piece of the puzzle is a hitch.
I use the B&W Turnover Ball. Turnoverball? - Gooseneck Hitch | Gooseneck Hitches | THE B&W ADVANTAGE. To remove the ball from the bed you just turn it over, hence the name. There is a lever accessed by way of the left rear wheel well. Pull to release the ball, go to the bed and turn it over, go back to the wheel well and let the lever spring back into position. Now you have a perfectly flat bed. I have a RAM so the installation was dippy simple as RAM is factory made for the B&W adapter. I don't have a clue about installation in a Ford, but there are thousands of Fords with the Andersen. It can't be much of a problem. I would just let the B&W dealer or a shop do the installation.
Old 12-27-2015, 01:35 PM   #90

Gooseneck ball

Quote:
What year truck,most newer 350s come from the factory with the gooseneck plate already installed,look under the bed liner or over the top of the rear tires in between the bed and the frame
Fsufreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2015, 08:15 AM   #91

Quote:
Originally Posted by C130 View Post
A friend of mine was going to buy the Anderson for his new F450 but ended up just swapping out his pin box to the Reese Goosebox. Only thing in his bed is the gooseneck ball and the Goosebox has shock absorption also. Its a nice setup for sure and if I didn't have my Hensley TS3 I'd consider it I think.
I considered the Goosebox too. Decided against it because if I ever need towed it limits me to goose ball only. Goosebox seems like a great setup though.
shane772 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2015, 05:09 PM   #92

I installed a B&W gooseneck hitch on my 2013 F250 without a lot of effort. I use the Anderson hitch. Have not had any problems.
Ford 250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2015, 08:11 PM   #93

Quote:
What rskean said. You'll need a gooseneck ball to attach the Andersen to. Our TV is a '14 Ram 2500 and dealership installed a B&W Turnoverball. Simple to use: extend and lock the lever, flip the hitch ball, reset the handle. That's it. They did have to cut three holes in my truck bed though. One for the ball itself and two smaller ones for safety chain attachments. I just bought/received the Andersen safety chains for the Ultimate hitch from Amazon. As soon as it warms up around here I'll install them.
EagleFixer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2016, 10:39 AM   #94

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Fixit View Post
The Andersen hitch is not a goose neck. It uses the pin, just puts an adapter on it, not an extension like a true goose neck adapter. The ball it attaches to is at the same height as a tradition fiver hitch, so I don't believe there is any added stress. it just couples differently. The light weight has my attention.

I am not at all enthusiastic about true goose necks for this reason. I don't believe the structure supporting the pin box is as stout as it is on horse trailers for example and I believe putting a goose neck on it causes increased stress. What I see is an increase in stress cracks in siewall at the front edge of the bedroom slide (based on my own observations with a limited sample size). I think if you call the manufacturer, they will say using a goose neck voids their warranty (at least that is what I have been told). So my two cents on that issue.

Steve
The Anderson hitch will not void the warranty - per dealer when I bought a new 5 er.
Some of the straight adapters will void the warranty. Check will dealer/installer before doing it.
Love mine; easy to remove from truck bed, light wt. Allows me to use entire truck bed when needed.
Ford 250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 10:44 PM   #95

I have one and like it.
2016 Wildcat 295RSX - 2015 GMC 2500HD DblCab Duramax/Allison 4x4 Z71 6.6' Bed Maxxis 16"E; AirBags; MorRyde RPB Andersen UltimateII Curt 4"offset;GrndCntrl 3.0 4pt;6K# Dexters;CRE3K w/Wetbolts; Champ.3100 Invrtr;Furrion48 Cam;Dish Sat, 10' Portabote
hbillsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 03:21 PM   #96

Hooked up the Andersen using a Kobalt torque wrench and everything was solid! No chucking or clunking of any kind. Granted I only towed around town but with the Harbor Freight torque wrench the hitch was chucking/clunking on the same route.
EagleFixer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2016, 05:54 AM   #97

This should make it a bit more interesting . . . ISR Series SuperLite 20K | PullRite Hitches
Guess Andersen must have been on to something.
Old 01-22-2016, 07:11 AM   #98

Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleFixer View Post
Hooked up the Andersen using a Kobalt torque wrench and everything was solid! No chucking or clunking of any kind. Granted I only towed around town but with the Harbor Freight torque wrench the hitch was chucking/clunking on the same route.
Might have been mentioned all ready ,torque setting on top tension nut is now 60 lbs up from 50.
1960C182 is offline   Reply With Quote