Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-16-2016, 07:23 AM   #169

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cummins12V98 View Post
dryancy

Don't be so sure that RV can't come off that Andersen. That push pull handle that can't be locked is very easy for some joker to pull and wala your RV has popped off the ball going over some of the fine roads we have here.

Look on RV.net there is a thread about the Re design of the Andersen. Looks like under hard braking the hitch can fail as in the tubes distorted! They just came out with a updated hitch.
I've been running the Andersen on a short bed GMC for about a year, 12000 miles. Just a few comments:

1) Stupid me forgot to tighten the locking handle a few trips ago. Went over some very rough roads and though it sounded different. Happy ending is that it never came off. Seems like 1600# on top of the ball is too heavy to bounce off (at least in my setup).

2) Kingpin adapter install is optional either way (ball front of pin or back). FYI. Mine is back of pin and I moved my in-bed ball toward the tailgate 4" using a Curt ball extension ball. Andersen approves this setup.

3) Andersen Ultimate is lifetime warranty. I did in fact have to slam hard on my brakes to avoid an accident once and my earlier model Ultimate experienced a slight bend at the tubes near the top where the ball is. I towed another safe and smooth 3,000 miles before I even noticed the bend. The ball design really does have a lot of angle positioning ability that accommodates twists and turns and yes bends.

I called Andersen and they overnighted me the new frame which does now have heavier tubes (also they included a pre-pay label to send bent one back). By the way, shipping an Andersen is UPS acceptable, it only weighs 32#. If you watch their youtube video you can see where the themselves bent the early protype. If you have one and it's not bent, don't worry about it. Should it ever bend, you will still be towing fine and you can have them replace at that time.
hbillsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-19-2016, 11:47 PM   #170

Finally got around to using my Anderson for the first time in my new ride����. I must say it doesn't chuck like before with the old setup. It still moves and rocks forward and backwards but it does it together so it's a lot smoother with any slack in the connection. Over all I'm very pleased so far.

2014 Wildcat 344QB-OK
EastTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2016, 01:38 AM   #171

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastTexan View Post
Finally got around to using my Anderson for the first time in my new ride����. I must say it doesn't chuck like before with the old setup. It still moves and rocks forward and backwards but it does it together so it's a lot smoother with any slack in the connection. Over all I'm very pleased so far.

Can't go wrong with the Andersen Hitch. Best in its class.
TheMatrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2016, 03:27 AM   #172

EastTexan You had a LOOSE hitch that is not chucking. Andersen will NOT stop "Chucking".

Chucking is the fore and aft tugging between the RV and TV.
Cummins12V98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2016, 08:58 AM   #173

^^^Make sure you retorque top bolt once trailer weight is applied.
Old 03-21-2016, 07:52 AM   #174

Nice pics. Just noticed they changed the signage. Up until recently there was a single blue Andersen triangle that faced forward. Basically, if you looked out the back window and down you could read it. Now I see a pair of signs one on each side. Better advertising is all. I think it was a good change.
Old 03-21-2016, 07:54 AM   #175

Quote:
Originally Posted by hbillsmith View Post
Nice pics. Just noticed they changed the signage. Up until recently there was a single blue Andersen triangle that faced forward. Basically, if you looked out the back window and down you could read it. Now I see a pair of signs one on each side. Better advertising is all. I think it was a good change.
All 4 post used to mount on the ball post as well. I how much stronger these new ones are?
Old 03-21-2016, 08:04 AM   #176

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zac808 View Post
All 4 post used to mount on the ball post as well. I how much stronger these new ones are?
Yea. Now I see it. The back 2 posts moved behind the ball instead of under it. My 12000# Wildcat rides fine but I can see how a heavier one could benefit. Its nice when a mfg continues to make improvements.
Old 03-21-2016, 08:41 AM   #177

Here are pics of the new and the old.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	andersen new.jpeg
Views:	121
Size:	341.7 KB
ID:	121937   Click image for larger version

Name:	andersen old.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	88.1 KB
ID:	121938  

Bob1340 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2016, 01:55 PM   #178

I use my F-250 for much more than towing the 5th wheel RV. The Anderson hitch is quick change, light wt. At 72; I have no problem changing it. Had it over a yr. Towed the RV 8k.
Ford 250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 01:47 PM   #179

Quote:
dryancy

Looks like you could use a set of air bags!

I am betting you have well over 1,400# pin weight if so that RAM should be sitting level.
I just looked your RV specs, you are in the 3K pin range EASILY! No wonder your AZZ is dragging. I would highly advise you weigh your trucks rear axle. Good chance your rear tires are overloaded.

Don't be so sure that RV can't come off that Andersen. That push pull handle that can't be locked is very easy for some joker to pull and wala your RV has popped off the ball going over some of the fine roads we have here.

Also Chucking has nothing to do with the hitch, a loose hitch is a loose hitch.

Look on RV.net there is a thread about the Re design of the Andersen. Looks like under hard braking the hitch can fail as in the tubes distorted! They just came out with a updated hitch.
Shoot man, I thought I was pretty level. Where did you get the specks for my rig. I thought I found it to be 1400.
dryancy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2016, 10:47 AM   #180

Quote:
Originally Posted by dryancy View Post
Shoot man, I thought I was pretty level. Where did you get the specks for my rig. I thought I found it to be 1400.
The internet has info on most everything.

You REALLY need to weigh your rear axle. Also what are the load rating on your Truck tires?

Your RV is HEAVY you really need to know your weights and equipment.

Not trying to be critical! Just helpful.
Old 03-23-2016, 11:45 AM   #181

Quote:
EastTexan You had a LOOSE hitch that is not chucking. Andersen will NOT stop "Chucking".

Chucking is the fore and aft tugging between the RV and TV.
From my post "It still moves and rocks forward and backwards, but it does it together so it's a lot smoother without any slack in the connection".

Learn to read then reply, ok? Good talk 👍🏼

2014 Wildcat 344QB-OK
EastTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2016, 11:29 AM   #182

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastTexan View Post
From my post "It still moves and rocks forward and backwards, but it does it together so it's a lot smoother without any slack in the connection".

Learn to read then reply, ok? Good talk 👍🏼
I can read you said "I must say it doesn't chuck like before with the old setup." nice you left that part out quoting your self!

I stand by what I said! Andersen will NOT stop "CHUCKING" !