RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-14-2019, 07:00 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoobert View Post
LOL, that is exactly the youtube video you seen of a andersen hitch failure?

You know that was a picture of user error right? But dont let the facts get in the way of your biased opinion.
Feel free to share some of these MULTIPLE youube links of the failures. Love when people flat out make crap up to validate their views. But feel free to prove me wrong with some of these multiple youtube links.
I'm sure you could claim this as user error as well. No one should expect a hitch to withstand a panic stop. And the excuse that it was never re-torqued is lame. Not welding the complete circumference of the tube is just poor quality.

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...ch-haters.html

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-15-2019, 07:26 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSM180 View Post
I'm sure you could claim this as user error as well. No one should expect a hitch to withstand a panic stop. And the excuse that it was never re-torqued is lame. Not welding the complete circumference of the tube is just poor quality.

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...ch-haters.html
You really know absolutely nothing about these hitches do you?

Yes that is user error as well. The guy even says it wasnt installed right and he never bothered to recheck it. But hey if I put my wheel on backwards and it rubs the frame, it must be them damn goodyear tires.

You notice what the two errors have in common other then the user?

A fifth wheel hook up that andersen says not to use, but if you must use it to buy some bars to lock out the pivot on the rotoflex. Havig a hitch that moves is not a good thing with the andersen. It allows the inbox to get at an angle the andersen was not ever designed to carry.
The roto flex allows the hitch to pivot down at an angle that is to extreme for the andersen and not needed because the ball allows for FAR more off camber movement then the regular fifth wheel hitch ever will.
They sell the lock out kit for 39.99 but because you know nothing of the hitch other then your unfounded hatred you just see andersen and start hating and spewing bull droppings.

Still waiting for your MULTITUDE of youtube links showing all these failures. You know the ones you claimed to have watched, just post a couple we can see these failures in the video you watched. Or can we just chalk these up to lies you flat made up to try and substantiate your biased hatred of a hitch you dont own or know anything about?

Scoobert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2019, 08:35 AM   #17

Florida Cooters Club
Coastal Campers
You guys can keep it and enjoy it.......along with all the other brands of rigid hitches. No thanks.
jdpm is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2019, 04:43 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdpm View Post
You guys can keep it and enjoy it.......along with all the other brands of rigid hitches. No thanks.
We get it, you have some weird hatred for something you dont own or know anything about.

Still waiting for you to provide some links for the MULTIPLE andersen failures on youtube.
Or at least admit it was all just lies you made up to try and give credence to your weird hatred for a hitch.
Scoobert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2019, 06:48 AM   #19
IC2

This is from a 10 second Google search 'Andersen Hitch Failures'. There are a fair number of different ones shown along with photos from Andersen lovers. If you wish, you can dig into each of the photos and find out why these failed. Several failed, gleaned from my half hour of looking, under heavy/e-stop type braking seems to be their downfall :

https://www.google.com/search?sa=X&q...w=1408&bih=662

There are enough broken Andersen hitches and damaged tow vehicles to never ever consider this as a way to haul our 12,000 plus pound, 38 foot 5th wheel safely. I've only seen where one B&W (or for that matter, any other major brand) failed and that was after a base redesign and reported on this forum. The owner, IIRC, worked through this with B&W. I have yet to see where a head unit broke.

I don't, as mentioned above, care for their design, especially the too light weight aluminum version - your and others choice, but just not mine.
Old 10-17-2019, 07:16 AM   #20

Quote:
You really know absolutely nothing about these hitches do you?

Yes that is user error as well. The guy even says it wasnt installed right and he never bothered to recheck it. But hey if I put my wheel on backwards and it rubs the frame, it must be them damn goodyear tires.

You notice what the two errors have in common other then the user?

A fifth wheel hook up that andersen says not to use, but if you must use it to buy some bars to lock out the pivot on the rotoflex. Havig a hitch that moves is not a good thing with the andersen. It allows the inbox to get at an angle the andersen was not ever designed to carry.
The roto flex allows the hitch to pivot down at an angle that is to extreme for the andersen and not needed because the ball allows for FAR more off camber movement then the regular fifth wheel hitch ever will.
They sell the lock out kit for 39.99 but because you know nothing of the hitch other then your unfounded hatred you just see andersen and start hating and spewing bull droppings.

Still waiting for your MULTITUDE of youtube links showing all these failures. You know the ones you claimed to have watched, just post a couple we can see these failures in the video you watched. Or can we just chalk these up to lies you flat made up to try and substantiate your biased hatred of a hitch you dont own or know anything about?
I do know something about these hitches, I bought one and returned it.

One of the reasons for the return was, from my 40+ years experience as a FAA licensed inspector of aircraft structures, the design and construction was not capable of handling the advertised capacity.

Have a great day!
Old 10-17-2019, 08:23 AM   #21

I really don't know the cause of either of my 2 failures. Allways torqued bolts before & after setting rv on ball. I lean towards having to use the ball set in tallest setting . My first was the earliest version of the aluminum and the replacement had schedule 80 tubes and additional brace. The replacement had even more bracing . I just couldn't make myself use the 3rd one.
Andersen gave no hassle at all. I sent photos and they sent new hitch and I used the box for returns and they paid freight . I do miss how smooth towing it was compared to what I use now but I don't think the B&W will fail in the same way.
1960C182 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2019, 06:17 PM   #22

Overland Owners Club
Guess we have to have this discussion every once in a while. I like my AUH, have had it for two and one half years on two 5th wheels and through 2 trucks. About 20,000 miles towing 18k Montana and 20k DRV. No problems of any kind. Easy in, easy out, no maintenance required, no air to fill, would buy it again. Getting ready for 3rd RV, a GD Solitude with the Rota-flex.
Old 10-18-2019, 09:58 AM   #23

I went to that link IC2 provided. Appeared many of those images were of the same damaged hitch, just from different angles. Some other pictures were of the earlier design that has been discontinued

All I know is that I’ve had mine for 4 years and no issues including a few panic stops.
minnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2019, 05:45 PM   #24

you are absolutely right.
barr0208 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2019, 11:21 AM   #25

Quote:
Can you post some links for all these failures you have seen or watched?
Especially ones where its shown the hitch was at fault.

Here are 2 of the pics of my Andersen hitch failure. Straight from the horses mouth. You can clearly see the bent aluminium. Although it didn't cause any damage, I could see the hitch was failing and replaced it before it caused damage. My trailer is heavier than any mentioned in this thread, but within the published limits by Andersen.

Andersen customer service was the best. It was truly a no hassle complete replacement including shipping. I still use the second (revised) hitch today.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20171106_112037.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	243.7 KB
ID:	264718   Click image for larger version

Name:	20171106_110418.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	343.1 KB
ID:	264719  

McRod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2019, 05:19 PM   #26

Smile Anderson Hitch

My 2 cents. Seems to work great for me. 5th wheel is 34' 14k pounds, 3rd year of use. Just spent 8 months and 10 states on the road and never a issue.

I especially like that I can take off the Hitch by myself and don't need 2 men and a boy to remove a traditional Hitch.

It gave me back the bed of my truck when I am not towing.
Dennisok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2019, 07:23 AM   #27

I have the rail mount version for 3 years in 2 different trucks no problems at all and also like being able to use my bed when not towing.

barr0208 is offline   Reply With Quote