Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-23-2018, 03:59 PM   #1

Anderson Ultimate fifth wheel hitch

hello my friends
bare with me since im new at this forum stuff.

who is using this style of hitch? who uses this hitch with crew cab trucks and are you able to turn 90deg? and if you are one of the ones that uses this hitch do you like it better than the traditional fifth wheel hitch?

i have 2016 ford f350 crew cab short box. please give me your thoughts

thanks
jrms88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-23-2018, 04:55 PM   #2

I use one never have any turning problems, last year was my first year with this style. The truck I purchased had the turn over ball so that was the easier option when we upgraded to fifth wheel from travel trailer. It's easier to remove and much lighter than the traditional fifth wheel hitch.
Rksolid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2018, 05:12 PM   #3

I had the Andersen Ulitmate Installed when I bought the Ford Super Duty and 3730FL just two days apart. It will turn to a 90 degree angle, but be careful to not go beyond that. I really like it because of its light weight, making it easy to get in and out without help. Since my truck had the Ford 5th Wheel prep kit installed, I had to modify the hitch but Andersen said it would not hurt the integrity of the hitch. If you have to back up at a steep angle, the hitch might turn, but the modification I did for the installed pucks stopped that.
Old 03-23-2018, 05:28 PM   #4

Outdoors RV Owners Club
X2. See this link for the mod Grzly03 is talking about. Andersen approves this modification for Fords.

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...n-hitch-5.html
Cornbinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2018, 07:24 PM   #5

I have one, and I've put alot of miles on it with no issues. I upgraded the safety chains, added the new Andersen safety chain attachment adapter, and it's been great. I have a long bed truck and can turn between 100-120 degrees with no issues.
aknavy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2018, 08:11 PM   #6

We have the 350 with the same setup using the Andersen ultimate hitch. We added the safety chains. I modified the ends of the chains the hook on to the eye bolts with the same rated strength as the hooks for the bed. That way I don't have to crawl into the bed of the truck to connect them up after I lock the hitch and ball. My Grand Design only sets the truck down about an inch, so we are pulling level.
SpiritDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2018, 08:51 PM   #7

I use this Hitch in my short bed truck and NO I cannot turn 90 degrees.
wnorton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2018, 09:00 PM   #8

The front of my trailer is recessed on the corners and I can go to 90 degrees.
Old 03-24-2018, 09:33 AM   #9

Never needed to turn 90* in the 5 years we've had or 5th wheel. I started out with the B&W Patriot and then decided to try the Andersen because of it's light weight and easier access to the cab when loading my kayaks on the trucks roof.
I have a LB so I don't have any 90* issues regardless of what hitch I use.
Andersen Pro's
Light weight. No chance for high hitching.

Cons. Takes longer to hitch and unhitch because the pin coupler has to travel higher. Not quite as easy hitching even with the funnel. Not all that inexpensive once you start needing chains or a taller ball.

My B&W is simply easier to use. The towing feel is exactly the same with both. Slight chucking on rough roads even with the MORyde pin box. Too bad the B&W is so dang heavy.
Cumminsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2018, 10:18 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rksolid View Post
I use one never have any turning problems, last year was my first year with this style. The truck I purchased had the turn over ball so that was the easier option when we upgraded to fifth wheel from travel trailer. It's easier to remove and much lighter than the traditional fifth wheel hitch.
may i ask what truck you have and is it crew cab?
jrms88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2018, 10:19 AM   #11

rain rain rain

Waiting for the uneducated w and inexperienced to start raining on your parade about the AU from members on this forum and the other forums that seem to follow AU threads and try their best to discourage people from buying them with ridiculous posts. I personally would never go back to the other style. AU`s are just to easy and do the job with out all the fanfare the others hitches have. I added a air ride 5th airborne pin box to the mix and it`s just to smooth now.
BSHGTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2018, 10:28 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cumminsfan View Post
Never needed to turn 90* in the 5 years we've had or 5th wheel. I started out with the B&W Patriot and then decided to try the Andersen because of it's light weight and easier access to the cab when loading my kayaks on the trucks roof.
I have a LB so I don't have any 90* issues regardless of what hitch I use.
Andersen Pro's
Light weight. No chance for high hitching.

Cons. Takes longer to hitch and unhitch because the pin coupler has to travel higher. Not quite as easy hitching even with the funnel. Not all that inexpensive once you start needing chains or a taller ball.

My B&W is simply easier to use. The towing feel is exactly the same with both. Slight chucking on rough roads even with the MORyde pin box. Too bad the B&W is so dang heavy.
This is exactly what I was talking about
BSHGTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2018, 10:35 AM   #13

Yes and and I have seen pictures of what some have called flaws. One showed what looks like not torqued to speck with a flexible pinbox. The 5er may have been overloaded and the hitch gets the blame. Mine is easy to connect with all the cameras on my rig.
Old 03-24-2018, 11:04 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by BSHGTO View Post
This is exactly what I was talking about

I don’t see anything wrong with Cumminsfan’s post. He wasn’t bashing. It’s interesting to read a comparison of the two hitches. Stop being so sensitive.
Yosemite77 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fifth wheel