Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-05-2016, 03:51 PM   #1

Another Backing Question

We've had our 28 foot 5th wheel for over three years and I keep having a backing problem at campgrounds with narrow roads, like the ones we find at a lot of National Forest Campgrounds. When trying to back into a campsite on the passenger's side, I pull past the site with the rear of the trailer about 10 feet past the site and close to the curb. I always seem to get the front of the truck off the road and over the curb on the opposite side of the road. Is this normal for a narrow road? By narrow I mean that when you meet someone towing another rig, someone will have to move over or back out of the way.
Bill

2013 Arctic Fox 27-5L 5th. Wheel, 5th. Airborne Pin Box, B&W Companion Hitch, RVS Wired Rear View Camera, TriMetric Battery Monitor. Honda EU2000i. 2002 F350 Superduty, CC, LB, 6 Speed. 7.3 Diesel. US Navy Retired, E8. No More Football for Me.
Traildust is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-05-2016, 04:03 PM   #2

Florida Cooters Club
Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
If when you pull out of the site you have to drive off the other side of the road the same way you backed in, then yeah, probably normal. If, on the other hand, you are able to pull out and stay pretty much on the road, then it's a question of practice, practice, practice.

Old 07-06-2016, 06:48 AM   #3

With a 5'er, start with it close to the side that your backing into. With a TT, start wider. Also, my backing tip. Put your hand on the bottom of the steering wheel. Push your hand in the direction you want your trailer to go.

try backing this up a few times. (not as bad as you think once you figure it out)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Doubles.jpeg
Views:	94
Size:	54.1 KB
ID:	132205  
Old 07-06-2016, 07:55 AM   #4

I agree with practice, practice, practice....

Backup/side cameras can help with safety and give you peace of mind.

Go slow, check twice, and have a great time!

Tyler
Old 07-06-2016, 06:32 PM   #5

Ya need to visualize the path the trailer would take pulling out, then follow that path to park back in...
2014 Grand Design Solitude, 369RL, #107
2016 Chevy 3500HD, SRW, Diesel/Allison
Gsport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 06:37 PM   #6

without seeing the set up not sure how I would do. I know at my summer place for the camper I'm backing from a 1 lane private road into a driveway and never get the truck off the road but I'm also able to cut the corner some with the camper to get it in the drive. I doubt I could keep the truck on the road if I couldn't cut the corner with the camper....it would be close though.
Old 07-06-2016, 07:12 PM   #7

Looks like it's back to the big empty parking lot for me. Our truck is a 6 speed and I do have to put it in 4x4 High with the hubs unlocked to keep it slowed down. Reverse is a little fast on this truck so if I don't keep it slowed down it makes for a lot of brake and clutch work. I've got several rubber traffic cones, think I'll set them up like the narrow road campsites and see how I do. I do know that the front of my truck goes out over the opposite curb when backing. It just seems that I run out of room.
Bill
2013 Arctic Fox 27-5L 5th. Wheel, 5th. Airborne Pin Box, B&W Companion Hitch, RVS Wired Rear View Camera, TriMetric Battery Monitor. Honda EU2000i. 2002 F350 Superduty, CC, LB, 6 Speed. 7.3 Diesel. US Navy Retired, E8. No More Football for Me.
Traildust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 09:29 AM   #8

are you putting the camper on angle before you start? I'll cut hard to the right then back over to the left to get the rear of the camper kinda pointed in the right direction before even starting the reverse maneuver. I also start with a pretty drastic cut to get the back end started quicker and then level that out once I'm rolling.
The first few times I tried to get my camper in that drive it was pretty comical. haha After a few times though I got a system down on what I needed to do and now I can put it in there pretty easily. I think if it's something you're not doing very regular a parking lot and some cones will go a long ways towards helping you out. The key I think when dealing with tight back ins is to get that rear of the camper started turning quickly. That blind side tight back in is a tough one though.
Old 07-07-2016, 10:32 AM   #9

I'm new to the fifth wheel game this year, but have been backing bumper pulls for the previous 25 years. I am gaining experience each time out, but have found the front end of the truck swings wide with the 5'er. The track pulling out is wider too though so the other posts about the path pulling out makes sense. I have found that I have to swing wide especially with the right hand turns pulling out which means the truck is swinging wide backing in then from that side.
Old 07-08-2016, 07:44 AM   #10

The interesting part of this thread to me is, I have been backing trailers of some type since I was old enough to drive and since that was on a farm I was driving something at a pretty early age. So for me backing is almost second nature, but I don't think I could teach or tell anyone how to back.
So I would guess it's just practice, practice, practice.
Old 07-08-2016, 05:15 PM   #11

Some parks there just isn't enough room for the truck to work.

2003 Teton Grand Freedom. 2006 Freightliner Century 120 with Detroit 14L and Ultrashift.. Full time going from job to job. Building and maintaining plants across the USA. Sold 2006 Mobile Suites 32TK3
glennwest is offline   Reply With Quote