Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-28-2013, 07:12 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsteinberg48 View Post

I think my 5er will be about 11K.
If you have already settled on a 5er in this weight class, you should be ok. You should still run just the truck across the scales to check all your weights and calculate available payload, and the weight you have available to the rear axle load limit, from the posts so far I thought that you were trying to calculate the weight of the largest trailer that you could tow.
An 11K trailer will at 15 % put 1650 lbs plus the hitch weight ( approx 400 lbs) on your rear axle , the placement of a fifth hitch will add some weight on the front, but only 5 to 10 % of the pin weight the rest is straight down on the rear axle .
When you get you truck and axle weights , you need at least 2050 lbs available on your rear axle weights. To handle an 11K trailer.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-28-2013, 07:34 PM   #30

Thanks.

Old 04-28-2013, 08:27 PM   #31
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsteinberg48 View Post
I thought the 5th wheel spreads the pin weight over both wheels or am I thinking of a WD TT hitch?
With a properly-installed 5er hitch, the center of the kingpin will be about 4" in front of the center of the rear axle of the tow vehicle. So hitch weight will be about 90% on the rear axle of the truck, with the other 10 percent on the front axle of the truck. None of the 5er hitch weight gets distributed to the trailer axles. So yes, you were probably thinking of a weight-distributing hitch for a travel trailer. About 25% of the hitch weight gets distributed back to the trailer axles with a properly adjusted WD hitch.
Old 04-28-2013, 09:26 PM   #32

I don't know what I was thinking but I did not select DRW. The weight limit on rear axel is 9,375 so a lot more than I thought. Problem solved. Thanks, guys.
Old 04-28-2013, 09:48 PM   #33

The trailer pin/GN weight can be from directly over the trucks rear axle to 4" inches forward of the rear axle. There can be little to no weight transferred forward to the trucks front axle. Weight transfer has much to do with a trucks wheelbase/pin location and actual hitch weight.

My short bed truck pin is zero over the axles for zero front axle gain or loss.

My old one ton DRW long bed chevy has its pin/GN hitch weight 3 inches forward of the rear axle with a 60 lb gain on a 16000 ln GN stock trailer with 4800 lb hitch weight.

Now lets look at some actual numbers from GM weights calculator Model Information - Online Ordering Guide that figures all std and options for you. We have no idea of all your trucks options and std packages but I configured a '13 3500 DRW loaded LTZ 2wd extended cab long bed truck through the weight calculator.
It shows the LTZ DRW has a 5900 lb payload per GVWR.

It also shows a 6600 lb payload on the trucks 9375 RAWR.

GM specs also show a 16500 lb for a bumper pull.

Gm specs also shows a 22800 lb tow rating for a GN/5th wheel trailer.

Isn't it amazing how much we can tow and carry now with the new gen trucks. And especially GM weight calculator that eliminates the old theory that tow ratings are from a stripper model. Of course most folks have know that for many years now.

I weigh all my vehicle on a single platform scales at my small town local feed mile/grain elevator for free (scales are open 24/7). Simply drive the fronts all the way on for the front axle. Now pull forward for front and rear axle weight. Now pull forward till the front axles are off the scale . Now you have the rear axle weights.

IMO everyone should know there truck separate front and rear axle weights with and without the trailer.

EDIT; Hmmm, just saw your new post. Your truck doesn't have a Cummins unless it a RAM. And does your truck have 4 rear tires or two rear tires.
JIMNLIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 10:21 PM   #34

Need to edit that sig. I have 4W. Thanks.
Old 04-28-2013, 11:37 PM   #35

Check out fifthwheelst.com for some pre- purchase calculators and towing safely explanations.
Old 04-28-2013, 11:57 PM   #36

Cool. Thanks.

Tags
weight