Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-09-2016, 06:41 PM   #1

Another Generator Question

We have a 36 Mobile Suites and purchased it with the generator prep, but no generator. We were not sure we would need it. I do have one Yamaha 2000 portable unit. I have researched a lot of websites and read a lot of different opinions on installed and portable units. Some folks have run a small portable for a night or two and they can run most things except the a/c. None of them mention the refrigerator. What I would like to know is will the small 2000 watt portable generator run the fridge and a few lights and still charge the batteries?
I am still on the fence as to wether to get another portable or put a propane unit in the prep box. But right now my main concern is if I can use the fridge for a couple of days with the 2000 portable unit and still keep the batteries up.
bluefin is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-09-2016, 07:14 PM   #2

What year/model of Mobile Suites?

Yes, a 2000 will run lights and the fridge, but will struggle to charge the batteries. To charge the batteries, use an automobile charger hooked to the gen and to the batteries--this will work much better.

But, if you are thinking of a 'couple of days' of running the gen a lot, that will work to keep everything charged to a usable state.

IF you have 2 good batteries, a 'couple of days' should easily be doable on the batteries alone, using a gen will help things along. We routinely run for 5-6 days without using ANY charger/gen. But, need to conserve electricity--running the furnace will take them down quickly--we have also replace every lamp in the trailer with LEDs.

Is this MS new or new to you? What batteries does it have?

Joe
'05 36TK3 Mobile Suites--retired but not forgotten
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2016, 07:40 PM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Another Generator Question

I think you will be ok with the 2000 watt portable genny. Given the understanding you have to manage your power usage. No air conditioning of course, but also be aware that you may exceed total load capability with the microwave oven, coffee pot, hair drier, etc.

Does the genny you have now include the capability to parallel another genny? May be an option.

Then there is the convenance factor. A onboard genny with transfer switch and electric start is easy to use.

You already have the 2000 generator. So try it out and see how it works for you. Then decide if needed/desired to spend dollars for larger onboard genny. IMHO.

We have the onboard genny and also a 3100 watt portable genny. The portable is quieter and uses less fuel, so sometimes is preferable. Also is a backup to the onboard should a malfunction occur.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2016, 07:47 PM   #4

I agree that the 2000 should do the job.

A residential fridge draws around 2.5 amps

I see them behind trailers and 5ers all of the time.

Just remember you only have 13 amps to use.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2016, 09:20 PM   #5

Honda 2000 gensets have a continuous use output of 1,600W, the 2,000W advertising is momentary start-up Wattage.
I have seen 5ers with a Honda 2000 on a metal slide-out tray, which makes use convenient, and storage easy.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2016, 09:21 AM   #6

I have an onboard Onan 5500 Lp but use a yam 2000 when dry camping to keep batteries topped off. When it's running it powers the converter/charger, 600 watt PSW inverter, fridge on 110v (non residential) as well as 110v lights including ceiling fan. The inverter powers the flat screens as well as the sat reciever. If I need microwave or A/C then I fire up the Onan, the auto transfer switch take over and chooses the larger amp input. I have six golf cart batteries and 300 watts of solar to help w the batteries during the day. We mainly dry camp.
rugersdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2016, 05:16 PM   #7

2 6 volt batteries. I can't see the info on them. And the unit is 2016.
bluefin is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
generator