Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-01-2016, 06:48 PM   #1

Question Another Hitch Thread

Hope I can ask another 5th wheel hitch question.
I've towed several TT over the years but the wife and I are moving up to a new 5v'er.
Glacier Peak 26RLS (33 feet), dry weight 9650 lbs. and max trailer weight of 12995 lbs. Morryde extended pinbox.
Tow vehicle 2013 GMC Sierra 3500HD CC SB SRW.

I'm looking for suggestions on 5th wheel hitches both good and bad and the ever popular slider vs. no slider opinions.

Thanks in advance
BC Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-01-2016, 08:39 PM   #2

Excel Owners Club
I tow an Excel Winslow 34IKE with a B&W Companion hitch in my 2012 GMC Sierra 3500HD SRW with standard (6.5') bed.

I have had no issues or had a need for a slider hitch. I've towed this lash up 49K miles in 45 months. We primarily stay at state parks and COE's in back-in sites.

Much depends on the front cap design on the 5th wheel.

'16 GMC Sierra 3500HD
drfife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2016, 12:31 AM   #3

Outdoors RV Owners Club
I have only towed our fiver with a BD3 air hitch, tows real nice but nothing to compare it to.
Old 07-02-2016, 12:43 AM   #4

Every setup can be different. I've heard of and seen some of the extended pin boxes depending on the bed rail clearance and truck height getting very close to or touching the side rails well ahead of 90 deg. This aside of a slider or the front cap design. So do your due diligence with measuring and cautious first maneuvers no matter what products anyone recommends.
This said we very much like Morryde products.
It would be hard to beat the quality of a B&W Companion (puck mount), providing it fit your application.

Happy motoring.
J & J, DRV Suites ES-38RSSA #9679
GM Denali, 3500HD-Max, 4x CC, 8' DRW,
EZGo-TXT, Clubcar Precedent
MtnTrek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2016, 04:03 AM   #5

Slider or not depends largely on the front cap of this 5er... as for hitch, as usual I will always recommend a good made in the USA hitch by B&W. I personally use the Patriot 16k model and couldn't possibly say enough good about it! The companions are also very nice if you don't already have the hitch rails.
chertz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2016, 06:12 AM   #6

Mid Atlantic Campers
Carolina Campers
Send a message via Skype™ to Tugboat
I use and recommend a auto slider with a short box. The peace of mind that the one time you need that extra clearance it all ready moved.
Tugboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016, 10:12 AM   #7

X2 on the slider better to have and not need than to need and not have

when i had my short box i used my auto slider all the time and never had to worry but still put it close sometimes
Old 07-05-2016, 02:10 PM   #8

Thanks all for the replies.
One of the dealers here is recommending the Hi-Jacker 5th wheel hitch.
Anyone have any experience with this? Good or bad.
BC Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016, 02:51 PM   #9

Outdoors RV Owners Club
I'm towing our Glacier Peak F26CIS (31') with a Ford F350 SRW short bed (6'9") with a B&W companion.

Plenty of clearance for turning and bed rail height. The front caps on the GP 5'ers have a pretty good curve to them which helps out on the short bed trucks.
StuartN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016, 03:04 PM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Pull rite Superglide.

It is best to keep your 5th wheel and truck in similar geometry as you would a bumper tow...like Max 45 degrees... This reduces stress on the tandem axle hangers and springs....

But, if you get yourself in to an occasional tight spot...a slider will keep you from contacting the rear cab of the truck with the front cap of the 5th wheel. And if you have a manual slider...it will happen that day you "think" you won't need it.

I was pulling into a loop at Ft. Wilderness one day...and got to watch the guy in front of me burst the trucks rear cab window, bend the sheet metal, and I wasn't in a location to see how much damage was done to the 5th wheel. Not pretty...I'm sure it took some of the "Magic" out of going to Disney.

The Superglide is an insurance policy. I know mine got me out of more than a few tight spots over the 5 years I towed a 5th Wheel. The only time you have to do any thinking...is when you decide to buy it. After that...it does all the work of keeping you from making a bad decision.
Old 07-07-2016, 02:52 PM   #11

Mid Atlantic Campers
Carolina Campers
Send a message via Skype™ to Tugboat
2nd that
Tugboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 08:20 PM   #12

I have a Demco Highjacker autoslide 18k, I looked at alot of hitches before I pulled the trigger on this one. 1st Made in the USA with USA steel, big plus, 2nd wrap around jaw and locking bar, 3rd no adapter plates, 4th works flawlessly and never have to think about it. Now the bad, a little tricky to hitch, you have to be lined up darn near perfect, the first few times will have you cussing, but you get a rythm done after a while and it is easy once you get it. It's heavy, around 300# ,but the build quality is awesome, it's silent while working. I know there are alot of guy's that say you don't need a slider but better safe than sorry. I never take mine out so not concerned with the weight.
crors7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 08:23 PM   #13

crors7 is offline   Reply With Quote