Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-25-2015, 03:07 PM   #15

Sorry everyone......I posted my answers on another thread by mistake. Now I have to re-post here. I'm still trying to get used to how this site works. :-)
fiddleddd is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-25-2015, 03:09 PM   #16

jimcumminsw.....I hear you about Keystone. Years ago when we were shopping for Keystone products I also read about some customer service issues. Montana is one of the brands we're looking at, and right now we can't even get someone to call us back from the factory. So if they can't even get back to us about SELLING a unit, it does make me question. :-) Cedar Creek sounds good but most of the floor plans are too long. My husband does not want a unit over 40 feet.....preferably around 38'. However, there is one floor plan we intend to take a look at.

I'll certainly take a look at the owner's forums. Thanks for the suggestion! And also.....sorry I posted on your other thread. I'll go in and see if I can delete the comments I made there.
Old 03-25-2015, 03:10 PM   #17

SkiSmuggs......isn't that always the way? Yes, I realize you have to take what you read with a grain of salt. Thanks!
Old 03-25-2015, 03:13 PM   #18

CampingCajun, Yes, you're right of course. We're looking for a Snowbird or Full-timing unit. Though we don't plan to be full-timers, we know a lot of other people who started out wanting to travel in their RV for only half of the year, but eventually became full-timers. Who knows with us? :-)
Old 03-25-2015, 03:17 PM   #19

tuffr2.....thanks for the explanation! We're going to look seriously at both the Lifestyle and Bayhill in the Evergreen line. We took a tour of New Horizons, and though I agree it was a GREAT product, it was way too rich for our blood! :-)
Old 03-25-2015, 03:24 PM   #20

Gsport.....good to hear about Grand Design. There is a dealer in our town, and we're looking at them. In fact, one of the floor plans we like is the 369RL, and it's a good length for us. Thanks for your answer to my question about accessing the refrigerator on your thread. Since we now have a travel trailer, we just enter, open the fridge and sit down at our bench seat. We wondered how it would be in a 5th Wheel. You said you open the slides so you can sit down to eat. I would be worried that all of the extra wear and tear on the slides by opening them every time we eat on the road would eventually make them wear out sooner? Do you think? Maybe that's a silly question?? :-) But I probably have a bunch more silly questions up my sleeve. Ha! Maybe I'll post that question somewhere to see what most people do. Thanks so much!
Old 03-25-2015, 06:27 PM   #21

Being that the kitchen/living room slide are hydrolic and not electric I'm not worried about the life of the slides at all..
2014 Grand Design Solitude, 369RL, #107
2016 Chevy 3500HD, SRW, Diesel/Allison
Gsport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 08:44 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiddleddd View Post
jimcumminsw.....I hear you about Keystone. Years ago when we were shopping for Keystone products I also read about some customer service issues. Montana is one of the brands we're looking at, and right now we can't even get someone to call us back from the factory. So if they can't even get back to us about SELLING a unit, it does make me question. :-) Cedar Creek sounds good but most of the floor plans are too long. My husband does not want a unit over 40 feet.....preferably around 38'. However, there is one floor plan we intend to take a look at.

I'll certainly take a look at the owner's forums. Thanks for the suggestion! And also.....sorry I posted on your other thread. I'll go in and see if I can delete the comments I made there.
That's Ok. I have ordered and waiting for delivery of my Cedar creek 34RL sometime in April 2015 we will be receive the unit. This is a 37' long unit with three slides. The only issue we had with this style is the placement of the Theater/recliner seating. We ordered the Theater seating at no additional charge. My wife would like them across from the TV not at a right angle.

The dealer stated if I buy a flexible arm to move the TV for easier viewing they would install the unit free of charge. I purchased a MORryde TV1-006 from TVforMYRV.com. This arm locks in place when traveling and will position the TV for easier viewing from the Theater seat at the rear of the coach. The unit will fit and support a 46" Jensen TV that is in the camper. DW is happy.

Jim W.
Old 03-27-2015, 01:28 PM   #23

Columbus

We bought ours in 2012. Our Columbus is really nice. It is a 2013 model and I guess the newer ones have features ours doesn't but it doesn't matter to us. I wouldn't call it an all seasons rig, but you could full time with it easily. Our model is the 365 but it is about 40' long. We pull with a 3500 Ram (not a dually) with no problems. This is a Forest River product and the company has been around for quite some time. I would put this at one of the higher end fifths....not a MobileSuites or a Newmar, but just about as good.
kaykaydee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 03:47 PM   #24

Jayco is a great brand. Have one now. Price is a factor to think about.
Iowa6.6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2015, 05:43 PM   #25

Quote:
wingnut60......Buying used is a great idea, and we're not totally against the idea. It's just that we would need to make sure of who the owners were, and have it looked over by a technician to make sure it's in great shape. Do you think the fact that DVR has been bought out by Thor will affect the quality or threaten the existence of the Tradition or Mobile Suite 5th wheel?
I sure hope not Thor's president addressed the buy out in a letter and stated all the management builders craftsmen and facilities and quality of construction will stay the same...But time will tell I bought a new Mobile suite 3 weeks before it was announced that DRV was being sold to Thor...I would have still bought my Mobile Suite...But I will have to see how there products look in a few years before I purchase another one now...As you can tell I'm not a big fan of Thor or Heartland products everything I've ever seen them produce was substandard IMO...
suiteowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 10:28 AM   #26

That's anyone's guess. Time will tell.
2003 Teton Grand Freedom. 2006 Freightliner Century 120 with Detroit 14L and Ultrashift.2016 Smartcar carry on deck. Full time going from job to job. Building and maintaining plants across the USA. Sold 2006 Mobile Suites 32TK3
glennwest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 10:51 AM   #27

Quote:
wingnut60......Buying used is a great idea, and we're not totally against the idea. It's just that we would need to make sure of who the owners were, and have it looked over by a technician to make sure it's in great shape. Do you think the fact that DVR has been bought out by Thor will affect the quality or threaten the existence of the Tradition or Mobile Suite 5th wheel?
We started the order process with Alicia at Rolling Retreats the day Thor announced the purchase of DRV. We talked about it withAlicia and decided to proceed with the order. The whole process has been great from Alicia to Greg Vaughn at the factory. We will be trading in our current MS 36SB3 on the 2016 39'TKSB3 at the end of next month.

From what I have heard and my experience so far I would not hesitate buying off a lot or ordering a new DRV.

BTW the DRV frames are two 2"X6" steel tubes stacked on a 2"X3" steel tube making their frame a 2"X15" stacked boxed frame.

The Tradition is a 12" I beam.
Cummins12V98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2015, 05:48 PM   #28

Evergreen Owners Club
I would not be so certain those boxed frames are actually stronger than the 12 I- beam. I would bet the boxes are much thinner steel meaning they are subject to degradation much faster as rust will eat through much sooner.
schrod is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags