RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-16-2018, 06:06 PM   #1

Another Westlake/Grand Design Failure

Lucky me, not only did I have one Westlake tire fail - tread came off like a retread but the tire remained inflated on the way to my destination. I had another one fail the exact same way on the return trip home.

Both tires, tread came off and remained inflated.

Both destroyed crap underneath and along the side of a one year old camper (Momentum 350M)

Luckily I was able to find a tire dealer at our destination to order me a new tire or I would have been stuck along the side of the road on the way home.

So, I spent hours in the 95 degree heat changing tires during my vacation.

What amazes me is GD had gone to a higher rated tire for the exact same camper I have now and never told anyone or did a recall.

Why would I ever buy a camper from them again or recommend them to anyone??

Guess its time to lawyer up and call NHTSA to see what they can do to help.

hammmitc is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-17-2018, 07:22 AM   #2

Just curious:
1.) Do you use a tire pressure monitoring system?
2.) How fast do you normally drive when you tow?

Old 07-17-2018, 07:39 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by raineman View Post
Just curious:
1.) Do you use a tire pressure monitoring system?
2.) How fast do you normally drive when you tow?
A TPMS system would not work in this type of failure. The inner tire still held air and the tread did separate from the tire carcass. TPMS is not a cure-all for tire failures. It just makes people feel warm and fuzzy about their towing a trailer.

The only time I ever had a TPMS system work was on my wife's car. I was driving and ran over a nail, heard the tire pop and felt it going flat. Then the idiot light and dinging told me I had loss air pressure, Really!
Old 07-17-2018, 08:29 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimcumminsw View Post
A TPMS system would not work in this type of failure. The inner tire still held air and the tread did separate from the tire carcass. TPMS is not a cure-all for tire failures. It just makes people feel warm and fuzzy about their towing a trailer.

The only time I ever had a TPMS system work was on my wife's car. I was driving and ran over a nail, heard the tire pop and felt it going flat. Then the idiot light and dinging told me I had loss air pressure, Really!
Inner tire on a fifth wheel? I must have missed something. Are you referring to the core of the tire? I will also have to disagree strongly about TPMS. Has saved our bacon twice. Once with a temp warning
on a tire that was about to blow, then a 2nd time with a low pressure warning when the metal valve stem started leaking. In each case it prevented a larger expense. In this case the TPMS likely would have shown hire temps before losing the tread.

I am confident that most RVs appreciate a good TPMS.
Old 07-17-2018, 09:20 AM   #5

Oh man!

A tire blew and you are going to sue!
I understand you are upset but lets get real here. The burden of proof is in you.

Can you prove the tire was properly maintained. Properly Inflated, inspected,not overloaded (rig gvw). Not scrubbing due to mis alignment, or damaged in any way from driver error.

Can you prove the tire was not sized correctly from the factory and the factory knew about it and decided to install it anyway. The fact they changed tire ratings in later years does not prove that.

Tire failures are a fairly common problem. The manufactures are well versed, as is their legal teams in dealing with things like this. In addition they have staff lawyers with hundreds of thousands of dollars at their disposal.

Tire and wheel problems have been argued throu the courts for so many years there is even a sticker on the rig near the tire that states. "Drivers is responsible to check lug nut and tire pressure."
Old 07-17-2018, 10:25 PM   #6

Outdoors RV Owners Club
I would point out that based on the title of your thread you knew these tires had a questionable history. Unfortunately many brands sell trailers with terrible tires. It is up to the consumer to replace them with better tires. I would be willing to bet that your axles are barely adequate as well. Typical places to shave a few dollars off the build cost.

NHTSA is not going to do anything about trailer tires since a blown trailer tire rarely results in an accident and trailers do not carry passengers.
keymastr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 02:33 AM   #7

no tire pressure monitoring system - checked the tire pressures before leaving and returning

tires did not blow they maintained air pressure.

Only went 600 miles over two days each way.

toy hauler was empty in the back, not over loaded

I torqued all of the lug nuts before leaving and greased the hubs.

I tow between 60 and 65, all travel was on interstate roads.

Did not know these tires had a terrible history until after they failed or I would have changed them.
Old 07-18-2018, 06:01 PM   #8

Sorry to hear you had that experience.
Curious:
Do you run the max. side wall pressure listed on the tires or something else?
Have you ever weighed your equipment?

Was the second failure on the same axle if so which axle [order 1,2] (front, rear)?
Was the second failure tandem to the first [order 1,2] (same side of trailer, front, rear)?

The beauty of these forums is the exchange of info. There are many posts / threads on the marginal equipment supplied on RV towables, particularly tires. Plus a heat wave doesn't help low reserve capacities perform well.
If you post your tire / wheel size(s) you may get suggestions on the most reliable upgrades available.
J & J, DRV Suites ES-38RSSA #9679
GM Denali, 3500HD-Max, 4x CC, 8' DRW,
EZGo-TXT, Yamaha-G22E
MtnTrek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 02:52 AM   #9

was running the max pressure on the side wall

happened on the right side of the trailer which has the least amount of weight on it.

the rear right went first on the trip down, on the return trip the right front went, both on the same side.

I am going to weigh it this weekend. I had very little weight in this thing, no motorcycles and all tanks were empty.

Wheel size 235 80 16 - Westlake Super ST - going see what the dealer offers, but will go with something heavier than a 10 ply tire
Old 07-19-2018, 05:02 PM   #10

As you noted the tires did not suffer rapid decompression but suffered from DE-lamination with the tread separating from the carcass. I's very common for a tandem tire next to a failure to give way very quickly as it incurs damage directly, or also by increased load capacity due to fault of the previous failure.
Try to note if there is a discrepancy between your axles. Nose high trailers put more load on the rear axle?
Have you done much hard maneuvering with your trailer? Road hazard? Clipping a curb on a close right turn is common? Very hard continued jacking of the tandem axles in tight places is the number one cause of belt separation. It has a cumulative effect. If one has a frequent condition calling for scuffing the tandems that can't be avoided it might help to throw down some sand, or soapy water in that spot.

On past trailers we've had very good luck with Sailun tires in that size.

some dealers offer a Hercules trailer tire (LR-G) that fares well also. I've not seen enough reviews of the GY Endurance model yet.
Best of luck.
EZGo-TXT, Yamaha-G22E
Old 07-19-2018, 08:09 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnTrek View Post
.Very hard continued jacking of the tandem axles in tight places is the number one cause of belt separation. It has a cumulative effect. If one has a frequent condition calling for scuffing the tandems that can't be avoided it might help to throw down some sand, or soapy water in that spot.
Would you mind explaining this to me....I don't understand?
manwithnorv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 12:24 AM   #12

When we back our trailers, we're theoretically able to cut the TV sharply by "jacking" the nose of the trailer sometime approaching >75 deg. We compensate by allowing the steering wheels to go "neutral", or we opt to cut the steering wheels the other way to "chase" the nose. Basic backing stuff.
As we approach those perpendicular angles with less rolling movement we scruff the tandem axles basically sideways. This exerts tremendous forces on the suspension components, bearings and the tires. Many will note that their tires look as if they are about to roll the tire's beads off the rims! Not good for tires! This is the primary reason LT tires are often not recommended for heavy tandem axle applications (another topic).

Try to avoid these types of sharp maneuvers if possible as they can lead to premature cord, belt, and tread separations. If you have to continually maneuver in this fashion, seek any ways to lessen the severity of the forces. A shallower approach, larger arc, reduce sideways force, friction.
EZGo-TXT, Yamaha-G22E
Old 07-20-2018, 03:44 PM   #13

Saliun makes a G rated tire that has done very well by owners
jacknife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2018, 07:23 AM   #14

Its a tire, let your insurance repair rv and let it go. Sounds like you just want "pain& suffering "

1960C182 is offline   Reply With Quote