Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-31-2015, 10:06 PM   #15

National RV Owners Club
How about a thermostat for your tank heaters to keep them from freezing????

Belgian is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-31-2015, 10:44 PM   #16

Country Coach Owners Club
Google the part# or manufacturer if there is one on the device - there appears to be more writing on the side of the "thing".....

My guess is similar to others - it's a relay that monitors the outside/plumbing bay temperature (small wires that connect to the bottom) and when it reaches a certain temperature it triggers the power to the tank heaters; normally open until the trigger then it closes feeding power through.

Brian

BrianGlenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2015, 07:32 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belgian View Post
How about a thermostat for your tank heaters to keep them from freezing????
I thought about that, but I don't think DRV would mount that in the living area where it would still be warm, but could be freezing outside. I like all of the suggestions you guys are giving, though, so thanks. It makes me think, and gives me some leads on what to check.
tampabiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2015, 01:01 PM   #18

I can tell you 'what' it is, but not what it is 'for'...it is a box mounted control relay - the threads on the bottom are to mount it in a box with a conduit lock nut with the relay inside the box, the power cable comes in and out through the connector and wires to the relay, the yellow wires are the low voltage power to the coil, since high voltage and low voltage must be kept separate, the control wires come in through another KO (knock out) on the box and plug in to the coil.

In this case, they brought the high voltage into the box and tied it to the relay contacts and the control wires come into the same box and plug in to the coil, then they just stuffed the relay into the box. Code legal, just another way to mount it.

If it were me (licensed master electrician - YMMV), I would put a meter on the large black wires and determine which is hot and which is not, then I would jumper the two large wires together and see what comes on. It is wired NO (normally open), so it won't make a circuit until the coil is energized by the yellow control wires. I'm sure the yellow wires go to a 'stat of some kind, somewhere, and will switch the relay when the proper temp is reached. And yes, it could control the tank heaters - the yellow wires from a sensor mounted in the tank bay and the black wires to the heaters. You can mount the relay anywhere you like.

I don't see a need to send it in...go to Grainger with the picture -they will find a like relay, but won't be able to trace the wires for you to see what it does.

HTH!

Tim
Timay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2015, 03:00 PM   #19

Thanks, Timay. What you say makes perfect sense. I've found the wires that the small yellow ones connect to, but they appear to be going up the wall, not down where the tanks are. Since I'm no where near a power pedestal, I'll have to wait until next year to jumper them. Thanks again for your input.
Old 11-01-2015, 06:09 PM   #20

It's the relay box for the Vacuum. Does the vacuum turn on when you open the port? Or when you connect the hose? On ours, the 2 yellow wires are connected to the inlet on the port. The metal ring on the vacuum hose completes the circuit that closes a relay that powers the 110v to the vacuum
rollondown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 05:47 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by rollondown View Post
It's the relay box for the Vacuum. Does the vacuum turn on when you open the port? Or when you connect the hose? On ours, the 2 yellow wires are connected to the inlet on the port. The metal ring on the vacuum hose completes the circuit that closes a relay that powers the 110v to the vacuum
Our vacuum comes on when the port is opened. There's a small switch that is N-O held C when the door is closed, so the switch closes when the door is opened. That's not to say that that isn't what the relay controls. I'll check it out next spring. Thanks for the suggestion!
Old 11-04-2015, 09:13 PM   #22

Your gonna make us wait till next spring. Sigh....
Brentw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2015, 09:28 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brentw View Post
Your gonna make us wait till next spring. Sigh....

Yeah, that sucks! Now you all have peaked MY interest as well! It's not NICE to tease the animals and then just walk away with your bag of treats . . . .
Hit_the_Rhod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2015, 10:48 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hit_the_Rhod View Post
Yeah, that sucks! Now you all have peaked MY interest as well! It's not NICE to tease the animals and then just walk away with your bag of treats . . . .
Sorry, guys! I meant no disrespect, as I appreciate all the comments and suggestions you've given me. Right now my trailer is parked at a storage facility here in Fort Worth and I'm busy adding solar to it. I've got the panels up, the inverter/charger and solar controller mounted, and doing wiring when I can. Once I get my Trojan batteries installed, I may be able to power everything up. Then I can check all my systems, including maybe what that thing does.
Old 11-28-2015, 09:37 PM   #25

After transferring several circuit breakers from the load center to a sub panel, I discovered the cabling from the water heater breaker goes into the box, so it's some kind of relay to control that.
Old 11-29-2015, 05:36 PM   #26

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhudson View Post
Control relay for something.
I do believe we have a winner. It is clearly a control relay.

Water pump. Slide out, Some high powered something

I'd guess Slide Interlock save for the fact that the relay "Closes" when energized but then some work that way.

Nice that they put it where you can easily find it.
Old 11-29-2015, 06:29 PM   #27

Yeah, but if he hadn't found it, there would be no confusion....

Guess he was working on the solar install when he came across the alien item.

Joe
'09 F450--died, replaced with '10--retired
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2015, 09:47 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingnut60 View Post
Yeah, but if he hadn't found it, there would be no confusion....

Guess he was working on the solar install when he came across the alien item.

Joe
You are correct, wingnut60. I'm always wondering about how DRV wired my trailer. I also discovered that the breaker for my fridge didn't really shut off the power to it, it only turned off shore power to the inverter, which had a transfer switch in it. If I didn't hit the battery disconnect switch, the inverter would just run my batteries down keeping the fridge running. The things you learn doing a solar installation!