Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Reply
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 04-18-2014, 05:20 AM   #1
Junior Member
 
225orourke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: PA
Posts: 20
Antenna and booster

I have no antenna but have jack your TV booster,if i put up a new antenna and then remont the jack your TV to it would i get more channels?
__________________

__________________
Jayco Designer 99 fifthwheel 3610,loving life and ever minute .
225orourke is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-18-2014, 05:42 AM   #2
Senior Member


 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 1,495
Quote:
Originally Posted by 225orourke View Post
I have no antenna but have jack your TV booster,if i put up a new antenna and then remont the jack your TV to it would i get more channels?
Having problems understanding the question. I think you say you have a TV booster but no antenna.

Yes, get an Antenna and orientate it for the best reception per channel. Signal boosters help.

Do not understand "remote the jack" - your TV should plug into the coaxial cable from your booster and the booster should connect to the coax going to the antenna.

Hope I was helpful
__________________

__________________
Libero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 09:31 AM   #3
Senior Member
 
wa8yxm's Avatar
 
Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 22,825
Not sure I understand.. You said you have no antenna but do have the jack... I assume you mean the wall plate.

Winegard sells 4 or 5 (or 6) different wall plates

One is a basic plate with an antenna connection, nothing else
One has an antenna connection and a 12 volt outlet
One more adds a switch and an indicator light to the last one
The Sensar Pro
And one with JUST the switch and optionally light (not common have seen ONE of these)

Assuming you have the 3rd.

You need to make sure the coax to the roof is good.. if you remove the plate and hold it so you are looking at the back, 12 volt outlet at the top, it's the left most cable.

Then you can put an antenna on the roof.. I recommend a Winegard Sensar IV and I also recommend replacing the wall plate with the Sensar Pro model (NOTE this takes a bit of work as the PRO has no front outlet so you bring a short length of coax out beside the beast).

IF you have some other configuration.. or if you are talking about a different jack.. please advise and we can do a better job.
__________________
Home is where I park it!
wa8yxm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 10:59 AM   #4
Junior Member
 
225orourke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: PA
Posts: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by wa8yxm View Post
Not sure I understand.. You said you have no antenna but do have the jack... I assume you mean the wall plate.

Winegard sells 4 or 5 (or 6) different wall plates

One is a basic plate with an antenna connection, nothing else
One has an antenna connection and a 12 volt outlet
One more adds a switch and an indicator light to the last one
The Sensar Pro
And one with JUST the switch and optionally light (not common have seen ONE of these)

Assuming you have the 3rd.

You need to make sure the coax to the roof is good.. if you remove the plate and hold it so you are looking at the back, 12 volt outlet at the top, it's the left most cable.

Then you can put an antenna on the roof.. I recommend a Winegard Sensar IV and I also recommend replacing the wall plate with the Sensar Pro model (NOTE this takes a bit of work as the PRO has no front outlet so you bring a short length of coax out beside the beast).

IF you have some other configuration.. or if you are talking about a different jack.. please advise and we can do a better job.
jack your tv is like a antenna i get about 5 channels with it . like dish channels . it sits on your roof .you can buy them almost anywhere for about $50 .
__________________
Jayco Designer 99 fifthwheel 3610,loving life and ever minute .
225orourke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 09:39 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: North Central Vermont
Posts: 1,018
Are you talking about the Jack brand antenna? I replaced my Winegard with one. But "jack your TV" sounds like stealing a TV.
__________________
2015 F350 XLT PSD CCSB SRW, Andersen Ultimate hitch
'12 Cougar High Country 299RKS, Mor/Ryde Pinbox
1/77 Armor Bn, 5th Mech, I Corps
SkiSmuggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 07:54 AM   #6
Junior Member
 
225orourke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: PA
Posts: 20
Its a add on to your to antenna . you get like satellite channels . three out of six channels. are HSN, QVC. and SHOPPING NET. the name of it is called jack your tv. so the question. Is if i add it to a antenna will i get more channels . because at this time i do not have. a antenna . Or better. yet does the regular antenna pick up good amount of channels. i know it depends on your area?
__________________
Jayco Designer 99 fifthwheel 3610,loving life and ever minute .
225orourke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 07:01 AM   #7
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: North Central Vermont
Posts: 1,018
I did a Google search and got nothing and it seems no one has experience with what you are asking about.
__________________
2015 F350 XLT PSD CCSB SRW, Andersen Ultimate hitch
'12 Cougar High Country 299RKS, Mor/Ryde Pinbox
1/77 Armor Bn, 5th Mech, I Corps
SkiSmuggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 09:47 AM   #8
Senior Member


 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 1,495
Quote:
Originally Posted by 225orourke View Post
Its a add on to your to antenna . you get like satellite channels . three out of six channels. are HSN, QVC. and SHOPPING NET. the name of it is called jack your tv. so the question. Is if i add it to a antenna will i get more channels . because at this time i do not have. a antenna . Or better. yet does the regular antenna pick up good amount of channels. i know it depends on your area?
225orourke

1. I was confused about your initial post but I now suspect you are talking about the Jack OA8000 Antenna. Not "Jack your Antenna" is this true?

2. Since this "Jack" unit is an antenna, (by definition you have an antenna) I am wondering how you would "add on to your antenna" (your words), I think meaning a supplementary antenna (one not imbedded in the "Jack" unit). In this scenario, the TV would be connected to the Jack antenna or some other antenna. Don't see how it could be both at the same time. All OTA VHF&UHF TV signals are received on antennas, but if you connected them in parallel, expect an impedance mismatch and possible different phase relationships resulting in degraded performance.

3. I totally do not understand the statement "like dish" in one of your previous posts. I presume you are referring to a DISH TV signal which would be in EHF bands and goes into receiver that decodes specific channels for viewing. What does "like dish" mean? Confused.

4. Received radiated OTA EMF signal stength is subject to the "inverse-square-law", the medium composition, the wavelength and the transmitted power. The electromagnetic signal-to-noise ratio can be enhanced through antenna selection and its orientation to maximize signal strength to your receiver front end. Most (likely all) TV antennas have a directional component and are tuned for mid frequency band reception. There will be different gain factors over an omnidirectional antenna and the wavelength of the antenna vs that of the received signal. Some can get several DB gain quotents. I have no direct knowledge of the performance specs for the "Jack" antenna vs DB gain through the TV frequency spectrum. It would be interesting to see these specs.

Not certain if I have helped or not but if you parallel antennas, expect a degraded performance.
__________________
Libero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 10:26 AM   #9
Junior Member
 
225orourke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: PA
Posts: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Libero View Post
225orourke

1. I was confused about your initial post but I now suspect you are talking about the Jack OA8000 Antenna. Not "Jack your Antenna" is this true?

2. Since this "Jack" unit is an antenna, (by definition you have an antenna) I am wondering how you would "add on to your antenna" (your words), I think meaning a supplementary antenna (one not imbedded in the "Jack" unit). In this scenario, the TV would be connected to the Jack antenna or some other antenna. Don't see how it could be both at the same time. All OTA VHF&UHF TV signals are received on antennas, but if you connected them in parallel, expect an impedance mismatch and possible different phase relationships resulting in degraded performance.

3. I totally do not understand the statement "like dish" in one of your previous posts. I presume you are referring to a DISH TV signal which would be in EHF bands and goes into receiver that decodes specific channels for viewing. What does "like dish" mean? Confused.

4. Received radiated OTA EMF signal stength is subject to the "inverse-square-law", the medium composition, the wavelength and the transmitted power. The electromagnetic signal-to-noise ratio can be enhanced through antenna selection and its orientation to maximize signal strength to your receiver front end. Most (likely all) TV antennas have a directional component and are tuned for mid frequency band reception. There will be different gain factors over an omnidirectional antenna and the wavelength of the antenna vs that of the received signal. Some can get several DB gain quotents. I have no direct knowledge of the performance specs for the "Jack" antenna vs DB gain through the TV frequency spectrum. It would be interesting to see these specs.

Not certain if I have helped or not but if you parallel antennas, expect a degraded performance.
Thanks so much that did help me a lot . I do appreciate your time with this . Plus everyone else.
__________________

__________________
Jayco Designer 99 fifthwheel 3610,loving life and ever minute .
225orourke is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
antenna



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Z- Boost cell- data booster doctorlock Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc. 0 01-15-2014 09:13 AM
Power to antenna power booster Ace 123 Gulf Stream Owner's Forum 5 11-09-2013 09:38 PM
Antenna booster '03 Pace Arrow Jwhines Fleetwood Products Owner's Forum 4 08-28-2013 08:11 PM
Winegard antenna wont receive local signals Ramzfan Winnebago Industries Owner's Forum 17 08-16-2013 12:14 AM
old tv antenna useage ??? monkey Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc. 25 07-30-2013 11:31 AM

» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:47 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.