Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-08-2013, 02:04 PM   #1

Anti-Chucking Hitch Comparisons/Recommendations

I was looking at the DEMCO Glide Ride pin box system for my Jayco 36REQS to reduce the chucking action on some of the lesser maintained freeways. It seems like a good product and, as an engineer, I like the design. I’ve read reviews on this forum and others and people like it. But has anyone compared it to the other options like the Reese Airborne, Mor/Ryde or Tri-Glide Air Ride pin boxes? At $700+ the DEMCO is expensive but is it worth it?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-08-2013, 02:21 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I am happy with my Mor/Ryde..2nd trailer with one.

Ken

Old 10-08-2013, 02:57 PM   #3

This is my first 5th.Wheel so don't have any experience with anything else but I am very happy with my Reese AirBorne and a B&W Companion set up. I have not experienced any chucking with this set up. All my previous towing experience was with Travel Trailers and I am really happy with how well this 5th. Wheel tows.
Bill
2013 Arctic Fox 27-5L 5th. Wheel, 5th. Airborne Pin Box, B&W Companion Hitch, RVS Wired Rear View Camera, TriMetric Battery Monitor. Honda EU2000i. 2002 F350 Superduty, CC, LB, 6 Speed. 7.3 Diesel. US Navy Retired, E8. No More Football for Me.
Traildust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 10:08 AM   #4

We currently have the Demco pin box coupled with Moryde IS Suspension. We installed a Moryde pin box on our previous 5th wheel. We are vary satisfied with our Demco pin box. Nothing can help on some of our nation's highways though. They are in such bad shape. Generally speaking, nothing shifts inside the 5th wheel and we have a nice ride in the truck.
Old 10-09-2013, 10:13 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
We're running the Demco GlideRide pinbox with the B&W Companion 5th wheel hitch. Our 5th wheel originally came with a solid extended pinbox, and just changing to the Demco eliminated 80% to 90% of the chucking we experienced, primarily when braking on washboard surfaces or surfaces with abrupt bumps or pavement ledges between slab pours. I'm very happy with the rig as it's currently set up.

Rusty
2014.5 DRV Mobile Suites 38RSSA #6972
Come join us on a TEXAS BOOMERS rally!
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 11:36 AM   #6

After 2.4 million miles driving, pulled about every kind of trailer made I still don't know what chucking is. OH! My wife informs me it's what a woodchuck does. LOL

chuckin da deuce chuckin da juice chuck up the deuce represent hailing greeting roll call ... "yo whats up baby *hold up 2 fingers* there you go you chucked a deuce.
Old 10-09-2013, 12:27 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Passin Thru View Post
After 2.4 million miles driving, pulled about every kind of trailer made I still don't know what chucking is. OH! My wife informs me it's what a woodchuck does. LOL

chuckin da deuce chuckin da juice chuck up the deuce represent hailing greeting roll call ... "yo whats up baby *hold up 2 fingers* there you go you chucked a deuce.
You are one lucky chucker.
Old 10-09-2013, 05:01 PM   #8

I've been using the Trail Air Tri-Glide pinbox now for several years.

The Tri-Glide portion is a Glide-Ride type base attached to a Trail Air support. The best of both worlds. The Tri-Glide takes care of all the fore-aft motion and the air ride portion takes care of the up-down jolts. We drive; the truck's suspension takes care of the road and the Tri-Glide Air Ride isolates us from whatever is going on with the trailer; and in watching the gyrations that the trailer is going through, that's a good thing. Expensive, but, worth every penny at the end of the day.

I think the Demco unit is good, but, a combination like the Trail Air Tri-Glide is even better. I know I won't have another 5er without it. You can't hide the fact that you've got a ton sitting the bed of the truck, but, you can forget that a trailer is hooked to it...

Don & Bronwyn + 1 Cat; J-Lo
2014 Thor Tuscany 40RX (AKA, "The Cat House")
2015 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk Towed
webslave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 06:09 PM   #9

Thanks FJ, Got a belly laugh. I have Airlift suspension but used to pull doubles from Dallas to LA and you would hear truckers call them Wiggle Wagons for a reason. Learned never to look back.
Old 10-10-2013, 06:01 PM   #10

I am not sure what the “official” description of “chucking” is but here is my definition.

Chucking is not an up/down motion problem it is a momentary speed up/slow down problem of the TOWED vehicle! The suspension/tires of both the towing vehicle and the TOWED vehicle are designed to take care of the “up/down” motion.

Most concrete highways are made up of individual slabs of concrete, where 2 slabs join and/or where there are patches there is almost always a ˝ to 1 inch and sometimes more difference in level.

When driving and approaching a “up” slab, when the TOWED vehicle tires hit the slab the vehicle has to “climb” up to the new level which takes energy from the system and consequently there is a momentary slow down (pulling back) of the TOWED vehicle. When approaching a “down” slab just the opposite occurs, when the TOWED vehicles tires go “down hill” to the new level there is energy added to the system and the TOWED vehicle momentary moves toward the towing vehicle. Hence on some concrete roads when the level of the individual slabs aren’t the same there is a constant momentary “speed up/ slow down” of the TOWED vehicle. Remember that during all this the towing vehicle is maintaining a constant speed.

BTW- I can’t compare my Demco pin box hitch to the other hitches that “smooth out” the ride but it is hands down smoother than the old “solid” mount 4 way swivel hitch that I removed and threw away (sold it for scrap)!

Just my $.02
1998 Hitchhiker ll, mod#31RLBGBW, RBW L'tl Rocker Hitch, Generac NP50 G generator
richardcoxid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 09:01 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
I towed a 2011 Mobile Suites 36TKSB3 today that was equipped with the MorRyde pinbox. I was surprised by the amount of chucking we experienced on the West Sam Houston Tollway (concrete pavement) in comparison to the Demco GlideRide on our 2004 Mobile Suites 36RE3 - very disappointing!

Rusty
2014.5 DRV Mobile Suites 38RSSA #6972
Come join us on a TEXAS BOOMERS rally!
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 12:25 AM   #12

There are six points that can create chucking.
1. The axle wrapping caused by not fully loaded springs.
2. The bed rails to hitch pin clearance build in the hitches for eazy removal.
3. The clearance in the first longitudinal pin that allow the head to swing side to side.
4. The clearance in the pins that allows the head forward and back tilt.
5. The jaws themselves could have enough clearance to allow movement of the pin.
6. And last could be unloaded tires on a dually with smaller tires.

My setup is solid with my 20 years old hitch. The only possibility is the pin box pin that wears. The hitch is solid in the box and the forward and back tilt is wedged in solid like class 8 truck 5th wheel hitch. With no sideways tilt. My tires are much larger then a dually and absorbs the shocks much better. And springs are loaded properly without axle wrap.
It all makes sense to me because I have not seen any solidly pined hitch at any RV shows on display.

Floating pin boxes acts similar to hitting your head on a mattress compared to hitting your head on the wall. They dampen the movements listed above

My setup has never created any chucking on 3 trailers and 4 trucks with solid pinboxes and same 5th wheel hitch on fully loaded trucks.

My neighbor has chucking with his 4 way hitch and dually F350 towing his lighter 5th wheel and is shopping for a more practical 3/4 ton. But he did not experienced any problem towing his heavy TT with same F350.

I did feel a faint chuck on my GM 1/2 TON with a fairly light 5th wheel hitch weight. And I blamed it on unloaded springs, and axle wrapping was created on level roads and disappeared in the hills.
Old 10-13-2013, 06:32 PM   #13

Demco Glide ride and B&W companion hitch, air bags on the fiver, road has to be real bad before I notice any jerking, on concrete expansion joints that haven't been ground down you feel the rhythm of them could almost lull me to sleep but for the rocking country tunes.
For those who would like to know the concrete cups at the end of the slabs as they dry, the top of the slab drys faster than the bottom so the top shrinks at a faster rate and pulls up the edges.
Old 10-16-2013, 12:38 PM   #14

In my opinion, these six items mentioned by caissiel don't create chucking as much as allowing it. The trailer is a load with momentum in one direction that gets altered with a jerk on start up or due to uneven pavement. This force is transferred to the pin connection and needs to be absorbed by the trailer or truck suspension. By introducing an energy absorbing pin box most of the energy is absorbed before it gets to the truck and you don't feel in your seat. I like the Demco and MorRyde designs but the Tri-Glide, though expensive, seems to be the best.

Tags
comparison