Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 07-18-2013, 06:13 AM   #1
Antifreeze or air pressure

What are the thoughts on winterizing with antifreeze vs blowing out the lines.

I have a '94 tour Master 5th wheel and there is no bypass for the water heater. So I have to lay on my stomach and disconnect the lines which almost always have water in them even after draining. I hollar to the wife to throw me towels to sop it up. Then there is a gallon of water still in the heater tank that didn't drain out and it pours out the bottom connection. Now I hollar to the wife to get me a cup out of the cabinet while I hold my finger over the opening.

I've done this routine twice since I bought this unit. Not fun.....I think using air pressure and blow out the lines would be so much easier.

I have considered getting the plumbing parts to make a bypass, but there's not a lot of room in the water lines to cut and install shutoffs and a new line between the two.

Rolfsted is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-18-2013, 06:17 AM   #2

I've been blowing the lines on my MHs for the last 15 years or so with no problems. I remove the plug from the water heater and drain the water, then open all the low-point drains, and drain the fresh water tank. Then I have a hose barb with a quick-connect I attach to my air compressor set at 35 pounds. I close all the low-points and plug the water heater then open all the faucets until NOTHING comes out. Make sure and flush the toilet and the sprayer. Once all the water is out, I reopen the low points and water heater and make sure nothing comes out of there. Once done, I pour about a cup of pink down each trap and I'm done. The entire process takes maybe 20 minutes.

Mark Anderson - FMCA 351514 - Louisville, KY
2007 Sportscoach Pathfinder 377DS - Freightliner XC
2006 Jeep Commander
Cricket SW3 Personal Transporter
topdownman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 06:26 AM   #3
Ford Super Duty Owner
Georgie Boy Owners Club
I have done it both ways .They both work well .If we go south and have to winterize on the way home I use antifreeze ,because I have no compressor . last year I filled the hot water tank with A freeze as well I plan to install the bypass kit before fall . If I don't get that done it will get more antifreeze .
1999 Georgie Boy Landau 3512 on Ford F53
2006 Mazda Tribute ,2001 Goldwing
Excell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 06:30 AM   #4
I like to blow out the lines as the antifreeze taste is difficult to flush from the system. Don't forget the ice maker and water filter if installed.
2007 Dutch Star 4320
2010 Mazda Miata 6 speed
Roadmaster tow
vraines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 06:39 AM   #5
I think I'll switch to blowing out the lines. Just seems like less mess. Plus every year you have to buy antifreeze all over again.
Old 07-18-2013, 07:23 PM   #6
Pink stuff

I first blow out the lines - have been doing this for 20 years, and then follow up with the pink stuff. With the bypass open for the hew heater, it's amazing how little of it you use. Remember, using the pink stuff alone, if there is still water in the lines, it raises the freezing point quite a bit.
elliott-maine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 07:35 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Used anti-freeze the first year PIA come next spring, been blowing out the lines ever since without any problem. Made it through sub zero winters without any of the pink stuff.
US Navy Vet, Liberty Tree Member of Oath Keepers, NRA & VFW Life Member, Alaska EMT.
2009 Safari Cheetah 40 SKQ
2009 Winnebago Chalet 231CR
sdennislee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 08:49 PM   #8
Originally Posted by sdennislee View Post
Used anti-freeze the first year PIA come next spring, been blowing out the lines ever since without any problem. Made it through sub zero winters without any of the pink stuff.
Me to. I use HW tank as a air tank and blow all the lines clear. 2 fills does it. I also removed check at HW tank so air flows both ways. It also stops shower water temperature imbalance.
Barbara and Laurent, Hartland Big Country 3500RL. 39 ft long and 15500 GVW.
2005 Ford F250 SD, XL F250 4x4, Long Box, 6.0L Diesel, 6 Speed Stick, Hypertech Max Energy for Fuel mileage of 21 MPusG empty, 12.6 MPusG pulling the BC. ScangaugeII for display..
caissiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 09:12 PM   #9
If you have a clothes washer using air to blow out the lines doesn't clear the washer pump, you have to use RV anti-freeze. I use both methods, and catch the anti-freeze for the next time I de-winterize- for re-use. I have done this for many years. I winterized our previous 40' 5er with washer/dryer using 2G of anti-freeze, never did have a water problem.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert theConstitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 11:45 AM   #10
I connect an air pump to the city water connection and the black tank sprayer connection and blow them out. Open the low point drains, make sure the water heater and fresh water tank are drained. Then position the water heater bypass valves to bypass, connect the hose to put in the antifreeze jugs, and pump in the antifreeze while I open faucets one at a time until antifreeze starts coming out. I again open the low point drains to let any water or antifreeze drain out.

It only takes 2 gallons of antifreeze - including what I pour down the drain traps, so the cost is minimal. I believe this is really cheap "insurance" against a pipe freezing in subzero weather here in Minnesnowta. And it doesn't take much flushing to remove any antifreeze "taste".

In the spring I just run water through all lines to remove the antifreeze
'05 NuWa 29.5 lktg HitchHiker II
'05 Chev 3500 4X4 Crew LB SRW Duramax/Alison
jamvir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 12:54 PM   #11

I bought a by-pass kit from Amazon ($18.39) when we had our 1995 Minnie. It doesn't take up any space because it goes between he cold and hot ports. As long as you're disconnecting the lines anyway, you can install this and be done!

Camco 35953 RV 8" Supreme Permanent By-Pass Kit for 6 Gallon Tank : Amazon.com : Automotive
Traveling whenever possible with DW, 3 kids and "Tate" the mut dog. 1999 Minnie Winnie 3F430V
Bondad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 02:25 PM   #12
That does look a lot simpler than what I was going to try and assemble from pex PVC
Old 07-19-2013, 02:34 PM   #13
Just south of Twin Cities

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
For fifteen years I have been pumping Vodka into my water lines. That's right, vodka. I buy the cheapest stuff I can find, bypass the water heater and pump vodka until it comes out of all the spigots. It does have some advantages.

1. Low freeze point.
2. You can buy it fairly cheap.
3. Leaves absolutely no taste.
4. Sanitizes the system.
5. You can have a party in the Spring.

Retired FAA ATC, VFW, LEGION, NRA (Life Member)
2002 Journey D L 36, 2013 Demco KarKaddy III,
Toad 2012 VW Passat Diesel
Lost little Bitzy New kitty named Oreo.
Cooperhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 02:35 PM   #14
I use both methods: blow first and then suck up a gallon of antifreeze.

The only downside to only using air pressure, is if you have to head south in mid winter. It takes about 24 hours to melt the residual ice in the system before your water system will work.

Stan Birch
1999 Winnebago Adventurer 32T Ford V-10
Stan.Birch is offline   Reply With Quote