Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-17-2013, 03:06 AM   #29

Winnebago Owners Club
I would not include any Heartland product in your list. They do not make their own frames and have had many problems inspite of their meteoric rise in volume. They make good lipstick but poor bones.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-17-2013, 01:52 PM   #30

Full time RV

We purchase a Lifestyle RV for several reasons, one it is warranted for full time use. Check the manufacturers warranty as many specifically state the warranty does not apply when used full time.

Old 11-24-2013, 06:32 AM   #31

We are in the process of purchasing a Holiday Rambler Presidential, Washington Model. We currently full time in a motor home and were looking for a fifth wheel because we will be sitting more and traveling less. Our main criteria was a residential refrigerator... we'd seen the disastrous remnants of defective RV refrigerators. We have one in our motor home, and it was offered in the Presidential we selected. The Presidential is intended for full time use and appears to be a well designed and constructed unit.
gator67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 08:27 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by POPPASMURF View Post
I would not include any Heartland product in your list. They do not make their own frames and have had many problems inspite of their meteoric rise in volume. They make good lipstick but poor bones.
They make more then 100 unit per year and the frames have been greatly accepted and any problems have been well supported by the manufacturer.

More then I can say about my previous high end unit. They went out of business due to many claims of inferior axles and frame strenght like mine had.

I bought my Heartland because it had the best axles and frame system I had seen and in 5 years of ownership I can actually enjoy the strenght of it.
Old 11-24-2013, 08:40 AM   #33
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
cassiel, I am happy that you are pleased with your Heartland product with 5 years of RV experience under your belt. I have been Rving since 1984 and have owned everything except a class B and a truck camper.

Lippert has way less than a sterling history with frames, axles and leveling system. As a retired engineer, I still look at the bones of a trailer. If it does not have a good foundation, it will be problems down the road.

There are a lot of "happy" owners out there with their Heartland RVs. One fellow I know is on his second Heartland and has had frame issues on both that required a trip back to the factory. They did step up and provide a "fix" (patch) for it so he was happy.

Personally, I would not include any heartland or Thor product in the class of a full-time RV. They are just a bit weak in the foundation department, but that is just my opinion and everyone has one.

Ken
Old 11-24-2013, 10:50 AM   #34

He says 5yrs of ownership, nothing about total rv experience!!
Old 11-24-2013, 03:04 PM   #35

Depends a lot on where you will be going geographically. If you going into cold areas, skiing, you need a very good insulated unit. If you stay in deep south it isn't near as important. I personally have not found a rv manufacturer that do a better job insulating that DRV. Talking to a large dealer in Minnesota yesterday he committed on customers trading Redwoods, Trilogys, for DRVs due to the insulation.
2003 Teton Grand Freedom. 2006 Freightliner Century 120 with Detroit 14L and Ultrashift.. Full time going from job to job. Building and maintaining plants across the USA. Sold 2006 Mobile Suites 32TK3
glennwest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 03:47 PM   #36

New Horizons Owners Club
There are several fine unit that can be used for fulltiming just do your research and get what works for you.

Our choice was New Horizons.. Great units, built with fulltimers in mind. Custom built from the ground up with a frame strong enough to hang a Goldwing off the back.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	035 (640x427).jpg
Views:	45
Size:	209.8 KB
ID:	50681   Click image for larger version

Name:	Living area3 (640x427).jpg
Views:	54
Size:	185.1 KB
ID:	50682  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Living area1 (640x427).jpg
Views:	46
Size:	174.3 KB
ID:	50683  
Old 11-24-2013, 03:54 PM   #37
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by glennwest View Post
If you going into cold areas, skiing, you need a very good insulated unit. If you stay in deep south it isn't near as important.
I'm not so sure about that. I can keep it cold enough to hang meat in our Mobile Suites on a 100+ degF Texas day with no shade - NOT the case with our previous lesser-insulated 5th wheels. Insulation works against heat just as much as cold.

Rusty
2014.5 DRV Mobile Suites 38RSSA #6972
Come join us on a TEXAS BOOMERS rally!
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 04:10 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyJC View Post
I'm not so sure about that. I can keep it cold enough to hang meat in our Mobile Suites on a 100+ degF Texas day with no shade - NOT the case with our previous lesser-insulated 5th wheels. Insulation works against heat just as much as cold.

Rusty
Rusty yours and mine both were built before DRV cared a lot about insulation. They do an excellent job now. I have complete wall void of insulation above window. Called factory and he acknowledged this.
2003 Teton Grand Freedom. 2006 Freightliner Century 120 with Detroit 14L and Ultrashift.. Full time going from job to job. Building and maintaining plants across the USA. Sold 2006 Mobile Suites 32TK3
Old 11-24-2013, 04:16 PM   #39
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
Ummmm....OK, but I wasn't complaining about the insulation on mine. I haven't tried it in sub-zero temperatures, but from the 20s to 110 degF, it's been just fine.

Rusty
2014.5 DRV Mobile Suites 38RSSA #6972
Come join us on a TEXAS BOOMERS rally!
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 04:27 PM   #40

We're full timing in our Heartland Big Horn & are pleased with the quality of construction as well as the extra insulation & heating strips with the Yeti option. We could have chosen a more expensive 5er but chose our 3670 after several years of research. I'm sure we all have our personal preferences. This one, in our opinion, is the best for us.

Martha
Old 11-24-2013, 04:29 PM   #41

I have been in sub zero with mine. -3 t0 12. Didn't use a ton of propane like others do. We did use a portable electrical heater to supplement. Could not sit next to window on slide. I recently removed that window to reseal it.( It had tar running down glass). there was no insulation upper or lower. It does now. Also I drilled a hole for a antenna cable penetration in the wall between the slide with entertainment above window and it is void of insulation. this is when i called factory.
Old 11-24-2013, 04:36 PM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy Living View Post
We're full timing in our Heartland Big Horn & are pleased with the quality of construction as well as the extra insulation & heating strips with the Yeti option. We could have chosen a more expensive 5er but chose our 3670 after several years of research. I'm sure we all have our personal preferences. This one, in our opinion, is the best for us.

Martha
I really looked hard at the Landmark by Heartland. they use the white foam insulation. Would be much better if they used blue dow. Not wide body either. They have excellent factory support. I am going to get a larger unit soon and this is why I researching them. Will likely get another DRV though. They are a much better built unit. Not downing Heartland. They are about 20% higher in cost also.