Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-17-2017, 10:55 AM   #1

Any last warnings before I buy Reese Goose Box?

My new 5er arrives in a few weeks, but I won't be getting a new truck until later in 2018.

I currently have a Hidden Hitch gooseball hitch in my truck. I am comfortable hitching up a gooseball.

My current truck is on the edge of weight rating, so trying to avoid adding a couple hundred pounds to the pin weight with a fifth wheel hitch, and I'm not interested in installing rails on a truck I'm selling in several months anyway.

Was leaning towards the Andersen Ultimate, but there are reports of cracking at the bedroom slide with the 5er model I am getting, and I don't want to complicate matters with a Lippert unapproved gooseball type hitch like the Andersen, should I suffer that failure, too. The Reese Goose Box is the only Lippert approved gooseball hitch.

Amazon has the 20k model on sale today, almost $100 off.

Any reason not to pull the trigger?

Todd
Tdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-17-2017, 04:09 PM   #2

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
The only advice I have is this:

I have seen properly designed Goosneck trailers.. The hitch is braced so a sudden stop the brace takes the pressure

I've seen a 5er converted to a gooseneck by an extension that pressed onto the king pin, then screwed on to that and extended the king pin down to the ball. NO additional bracing.. The Pin box was tore all to scrap when he panic stopped a short distnce from where I saw it.

That was not the worst thign that day

New looking 38' ceader creek... While i was chatting with the owner of the above trailer its owner finished refuelling and pulled out. turning a bit too soon and tearing the rear cap off when the trailer hit the concrete bumper at the end of the pump isle... (I was driving my Neon that day. not the House).
Old 12-17-2017, 04:42 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by wa8yxm View Post
I've seen a 5er converted to a gooseneck by an extension that pressed onto the king pin, then screwed on to that and extended the king pin down to the ball. NO additional bracing.. The Pin box was tore all to scrap when he panic stopped a short distnce from where I saw it
Right, that's not how this product is designed, it's a complete replacement box with an integral air bladder and dual shocks.

It's the only gooseneck hitch setup that Lippert approves for use with their chassis and won't put warranty claims in jeopardy.

I'm even thinking of putting a decal on it that says so since I'm sure a lot of RV owners will see it and tsk tsk my use of it... lots of gooseneck phobias around the RV world for good cause.
Old 12-17-2017, 06:11 PM   #4

I'm putting the 20k version on a 2018 Grand Design Reflection 367. Will be pulling it with a 2016 Ram 3500 standard bed 6 ft 4 in. I have reviewed this pin box for a long while. There is not much info out there. Everyone I have talked to on other forums all say they love theirs, and have no issues with it. When I get some road time with it I am planning on doing a review of it. My trailer is coming off line the 3rd week of January. I purchased mine through etrailer, was cheaper than Amazon at the time.
Catsgot9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2017, 06:13 PM   #5

Forest River Owners Club
I've been researching hitches of several months. I have decided on the Anderson hitch. I'd be interested in the information you have regarding the failure. almost all of the reviews were positive that I've found.
Thank you,
Kim
kksalmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2017, 07:11 PM   #6

I just purchased a new 5er on Black Friday and i had it installed on mine, all the salesmen and shop workers were looking at it and talking about how good it looked, they acted like they had never seen one before. Here are a few pics of it. The thing rides great with the shocks and air bag built into the hitch.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	23915666_10214203680143845_4370579741342621400_n.jpg
Views:	571
Size:	68.0 KB
ID:	186023   Click image for larger version

Name:	24131408_10214203680063843_595213198965898076_n.jpg
Views:	676
Size:	59.5 KB
ID:	186024  

Name:	24131468_10214203680583856_7930287501311614254_n.jpg
Views:	763
Size:	58.2 KB
ID:	186025  
MorganT69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2017, 07:19 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by kksalmon View Post
I've been researching hitches of several months. I have decided on the Anderson hitch. I'd be interested in the information you have regarding the failure. almost all of the reviews were positive that I've found.
Thank you,
Kim
I think you misunderstood what I wrote.

First, Lippert, who makes almost all the frames found on new RVs these days, will not honor warranty claims if you're using a gooseneck hitch other than the Reese Goose Box. That includes the Andersen Ultimate.

Again: Lippert will not honor a warranty claim if you suffer damage to the frame and are using the Andersen Ultimate.

However, Andersen has their $5mm warranty that will cover any claims that Lippert denies.

The RV I purchased has a known issue with frame cracks under the bedroom slide. Doesn't happen to all of them, but if it does happen to mine, I don't want to complicate a warranty repair because I was using the Andersen Ultimate. I know I could have Andersen cover the costs, but I just don't want to be stuck in the middle in case it gets ugly.

There is no inherent issue with the Andersen design, it's just that it is not approved by Lippert.

I bought the Reese Goose Box today. As Catsgot mentioned, not a lot of reviews out there on the product, but those that do write reviews love it

And it's been out for over 5 years now, so I figure if it were destroying frames, like other gooseneck hitches on 5ers, we'd be hearing about it by now, and Lippert would not keep exposing themselves to that failure.
Old 12-17-2017, 07:22 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by MorganT69 View Post
I just purchased a new 5er on Black Friday and i had it installed on mine, all the salesmen and shop workers were looking at it and talking about how good it looked, they acted like they had never seen one before. Here are a few pics of it. The thing rides great with the shocks and air bag built into the hitch.
Awesome! Thanks for the feedback.

I see you're using safety chains, everything I read about the part said they weren't required?
Old 12-17-2017, 07:39 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tdave View Post
Awesome! Thanks for the feedback.

I see you're using safety chains, everything I read about the part said they weren't required?

Required or not, I would use them, it takes what 10 seconds to hook them up, not a big issue at all.
Old 12-17-2017, 07:46 PM   #10

How did you attach them to the pin box? Can't tell from the photos.
Old 12-17-2017, 07:59 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tdave View Post
How did you attach them to the pin box? Can't tell from the photos.
I didnt everything was installed at Camping World with my Truck, so its set up for my truck specifically. I will try and get a photo and upload it for you though.
Old 12-17-2017, 08:12 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by MorganT69 View Post
I didnt everything was installed at Camping World with my Truck, so its set up for my truck specifically. I will try and get a photo and upload it for you though.
Here is the picture looking into the chains.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	File Dec 17, 9 03 42 PM.jpg
Views:	818
Size:	205.6 KB
ID:	186036  
Old 12-18-2017, 07:37 PM   #13

Tdave -
I've been using a Reese Goosebox for 3 years with absolutely no problems. It's a smooth ride with no creaks or groans.

Since it's considered a gooseneck (ball) hitch, most if not all states require safety chains. Chances are very, very, VERY slim a police officer will ever notice. But.

There are 2 holes at the back of the Goosebox for the safety chains to be attached. That's where they're bolted in MorganT's pic.

The way the Goosebox locks to the ball, I really don't believe there's a need for chains.

I wouldn't overthink the size of the chains, just make sure they're long enough when you make tight turns. Speakin' from experience, of course.
Old 12-18-2017, 11:18 PM   #14

I have had one for 2 years now, and I can't say enough good about it. Very smooth towing under all conditions both on roads and off road. I also have have very good clearance on the pickup rails, tailgate and cab. My truck is a 2016 3500 Duramax standard bed. I do use an offset ball that gave me 5 inches to the rear, and 2 inches of height. This gives me extra cab clearance, and rail clearance. I use safety chains, that take all of 20 seconds to attach and give me an extra safety net. I have had 5th. wheel trailers for 35 years, and would never again have a 5th. wheel hitch in the truck again. I like the clean bed of the truck when unhitched, and not having to store 150lbs. of rusting hitch. If there is a drawback, it takes me a little longer to hitch. I have to get out and see how close I am to the hitch. With the wife's help, I back right under the first time. My trailer came with a Moride pin box, that I sold when the Goosebox was installed. Dave-R