Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-06-2015, 04:33 PM   #1

Anybody got any ideas?

Newcomer here, just posted my "newcomer" post a couple of days ago, and I have a real problem I need help with! I own an F350 dually diesel, that I installed an underbed gooseneck hitch on in 2007. I don't use that hitch much anymore, but have two gooseneck trailers, so don't want to lose it. We just purchased a beautiful little 25' Alpenlite 5th wheel (1985 - antique?). Went looking for a gooseneck adapter. This truck had the mounting brackets on it for a gooseneck, previous owner I guess, but I had to remove them to install the goose neck hitch. Crawled under and looked - no way to install a 5th wheel with the existing hitch. Bought the Curt X5 adapter from Amazon. It was delivered today, and of course doesn't fit. I called Curt, and they don't make anything that will fit my hitch (hide-a-goose), but said it was made by drawtite. Called them, and when I gave them the model number of my hitch,
he informed me that it had been obsolete or over 15 yrs, was obsolete when I bought it, and of course the co. that sold it to me is defunct. Of course they don't make anything that will fit it either. I have a son that is a welder fabricator, many certifications, and I'm sure he can modify this thing, but I sure hate to start modifying a $350 adapter. Anybody got any ideas?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-06-2015, 07:15 PM   #2

Check out B & W. They have gooseneck setups that a fifth wheel hitch attaches to.

Old 05-06-2015, 07:29 PM   #3

Excel Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Are you going to pull the 5er with a gooseneck set up? Or want to have both a gooseneck and fifth wheel hitch? If you want both then B&W has the setup.BTW...pulling a 5er with a gooseneck adapter is not a good idea. Severe frame damage can occur.
Old 05-06-2015, 07:34 PM   #4

Obviously, you've done some research.

You can install a fifth wheel to GN adapter on the Alpenlite, and make it a GN. I wouldn't. It wasn't designed for it.

Which fifth wheel hitch mounting system did you look at? There are many out there, some might fit around what you have.

Basically, whatever you do (other than install the GN adapter on the RV), makes it pointless to keep the old GN hitch that is in the truck. If you install Industry Standard hitch Rails, you can pin GN and 5th wheel hitches to the rails. If you install a B&W GN hitch and Companion hitch, you'll have both. So on and so forth.

Without seeing what you have right now and how it's mounted, we are just guessing as to what you can use. I can tell you for sure though, that a B&W will NOT work with what you have. Any brand rail kit needs brackets to the frame. Any "custom" fit brackets to your make and model will probably not fit with your current GN setup. The only one that might work would be the Reese 30035 install kit, which is the universal bracket kit.
Old 05-06-2015, 08:16 PM   #5

I am also an Old Man just like the OP. Therefore I'm not quite sure that I follow the problem. If he has a Gooseneck Ball in the bed, All he needs to do is use the Andersen Hitch. Ultimate 5th Wheel Connection That's what I'm using and it is only 32 lbs.

If I didn't follow the problem correctly, I apoligize.
rskeans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 09:46 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by rskeans View Post
I am also an Old Man just like the OP. Therefore I'm not quite sure that I follow the problem. If he has a Gooseneck Ball in the bed, All he needs to do is use the Andersen Hitch. Ultimate 5th Wheel Connection That's what I'm using and it is only 32 lbs.

If I didn't follow the problem correctly, I apoligize.

I love ours, but it weighs slightly more than 32 lbs. - more like 70 lbs.
Old 05-07-2015, 04:51 AM   #7

Thanks for the advice

Let me describe my setup a little better. The gooseneck hitch is an underbed frame mount, built by Draw-Tite, called Hide-a-Goose, rated at 30K#. Reading all the posts regarding possible frame damage with an adapter, I opted for a Curt X5, which I a 100# monster, complete with rails that sets on the floor of the truck with a square pin that drops into the gooseneck hitch, drilled to accept the locking pin located in the fender well. Rated at 20K#, it is a well made unit, I'm impressed by the design and quality, however, the square shank is much too long, and the hole is drilled in the wrong place. The
part of the pin that fits in the socket on mine is 3" long, with the lock hole centered. The adapter pin is 5" long, with the hole centered. Phone calls to Curt and Draw-Tite reveal that neither one make an adapter to fit my hitch. Draw-Tite told me that my hitch was discontinued 15 years ago - I bought it new in 2007.
Old 05-07-2015, 04:53 AM   #8

Anderson hitch

Looked at the Anderson Ultimate, and it looks like it has a ball on top - I need the hitch plate (5th wheel) on top.
Old 05-07-2015, 05:07 AM   #9

From what I read what you have should work, you may have to adjust the hitch part that goes though you're bed.
2006 Ford F-350 Crew Cab Lariat 4X2 PSD 6.0 TorqShift Automatic Transmission. Upfitter Switchers Chrome Door Handles, Oxford White with lower part being Arizona Beige Metallic. Creative Coating Sprayed in bed liner (local Company in Little Rock AR) 2
WD40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2015, 06:54 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOldMan76 View Post
Looked at the Anderson Ultimate, and it looks like it has a ball on top - I need the hitch plate (5th wheel) on top.
You buy two pieces.

This goes on the king pin -

Then the in bed piece -
Old 05-07-2015, 07:57 AM   #11

And the King Pin piece is included with the bed piece.
rskeans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2015, 08:46 AM   #12

Not sure if B&W Companion will work with other ball hitch setups or not. I recently bought an F350 dually with the turn over ball hitch and didn't want to put a gooseneck adapter on my 5th wheel so I opted for the Companion hitch. It's quiet and built very well.
Old 05-07-2015, 11:07 AM   #13

Just to clarify, the Andersen hitch does not void the trailer warranty where a gooseneck conversion (on the trailer) in almost all circumstances would, also the Andersen hitch has a higher tow and weight rating than the B&W Companion hitch.
Old 05-07-2015, 01:12 PM   #14

You should be able to modify the square pin that is too long to fit your hitch--should not hurt the strength enough to matter.
Figure out where the locking pin hits the longer shank while in the hole with the hitch--then get a new hole drilled and cut off the extra length. At least, from your details, that is what I would do. The shank/ball on my B&W is rated at 35K and doubt you could hurt it with an extra hole.
Joe

'09 F450--died, replaced with '10--retired
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote