Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-19-2015, 01:34 PM   #15

A unit that's already 10-12 years old won't garner much more attention if it's 15-17 years old even with auto level. JMO but I'd rather take the added cost that you're trying to recoup and apply it to a newer unit. Auto level on a used up 5th wheel just doesn't appeal to me. But that's me.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-19-2015, 04:54 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale & Mark Bruss View Post
Just viewing recouping the cost misses the value of having the feature to use. You could say why buy an RV since you cannot recoup the cost of it.

In this case, automatic leveler system are a real value to me as it is so easy to setup in the campground. No boards to level the wheels. And we can level the trailer without torqueing the frame if you just use front jacks for leveling.
With independent front electric jacks no blocks on wheels necessary. That is why I can't see the need.

2003 Teton Grand Freedom. 2006 Freightliner Century 120 with Detroit 14L and Ultrashift.. Full time going from job to job. Building and maintaining plants across the USA. Sold 2006 Mobile Suites 32TK3
glennwest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2015, 05:32 PM   #17

So you torque your frame. If that is what you want.
Lots of RV Information at www.dmbruss.com
Dale & Mark Bruss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2015, 05:46 PM   #18

Quote:
Agree. I do not think using the landing gear to level side-to-side is comparable to a complete auto leveling system.
Mr_Fixit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2015, 08:53 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by glennwest View Post
With independent front electric jacks no blocks on wheels necessary. That is why I can't see the need.
?

Could explain how that works?
Old 12-20-2015, 10:18 AM   #20

I have actually had one of my customers try to accomplish that feat on a severe slope. Completely trashed the gear box on gear box on the leg doing most (all) of the lifting. Had to go in with bottle jacks to raise it and get it back on the truck.

Steve
Mr_Fixit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2015, 04:47 PM   #21

Lippert has a new hydrolic jack system that each jack is self contained and the only wiring is to run the jacks. No hoses running thru trl. They claim it is 30% faster then thier other hyd model. Alot easier to install by dealers also.
Old 12-20-2015, 05:18 PM   #22

So Lippert is coping Quadra Big Foot. Now if they would make steel jack pistons for heavy lift.
Old 12-21-2015, 08:02 PM   #23

A few years ago we toured the DRV factory as part of our research. They day we were there they happened to be starting a new coach, so we got to see the levelers on the frame but without anything else in the way. Even I could understand it then.

The more I think about it, the less inclined I am to even consider adding an auto-level system to a coach that doesn't have it UNLESS the system was a factory option. Even then, I'm not sure that it would be worth the cost. Better to just buy a coach that already has it installed.
kb0zke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2015, 04:02 PM   #24

Granted extreme off side level my system wouldn't work. I stay away from such so far.
2003 Teton Grand Freedom. 2006 Freightliner Century 120 with Detroit 14L and Ultrashift.. Full time going from job to job. Building and maintaining plants across the USA. Sold 2006 Mobile Suites 32TK3
Old 12-22-2015, 04:19 PM   #25
Commercial Member

Quote:
Granted extreme off side level my system wouldn't work. I stay away from such so far.

If you are referring to auto-leveling, you have to learn the limits of the jacks. I used blocking in those situations and if really extreme, manual level.

Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum
TravellingRVDoctor, LLC
Old 12-22-2015, 05:08 PM   #26

Quote:
I have 4 points of level as you do unless you have 6 point system. My Teton doesn't need 6 point. I am not torquing frame anymore than you are. Also Teton made it this way.
Old 12-22-2015, 07:25 PM   #27

Quote:
I have 4 points of level as you do unless you have 6 point system. My Teton doesn't need 6 point. I am not torquing frame anymore than you are. Also Teton made it this way.
Lets see, left front, right front. That is two. The rear stabilizers do not lift anything, they just stabilize.

In the later Teton years, when they delivered four stabilizing jacks, they clearly stated that those jacks where not for supporting the weight of the trailer, only stabilizing.

You lift a frame in one corner and you are torqueing the frame. HWH has a great video presentation of the impact of single cornet lifting.

Leveling system drop the jacks to the ground. From there, they all level the RV by extending either the side jacks (2 or 3) or the front jacks (2) or the rear jacks (2). By applying lift on the sides or the ends, the frame is not stressed as when just one corner is raised. That is the difference between a leveling system and independent front jacks.

Leveling system cost money but they protect your frame and make site setup a whole lot easier.
Old 12-22-2015, 09:49 PM   #28

We disagree, Teton manual says to level this way. Extreme use blocks under wheels. Have not read any teton frame problems. I'll spend the money on IS.

Tags
install