Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-29-2014, 11:52 PM   #15

Radio Flyer

My 11HO Dually does not have as strong of a suspension as the 13 and newer RAM's and my truck sits level and rides great with 19k in tow and 5K pin along with a hitch and a toolbox including a generator.

I am well under my axle ratings but over the combined by a mile at 14K. I only add under 200# to the front axle when hooked up.

Be concerned all youn want but I won't be when I hook the new RAM to the new 39TKSB3 that I am sure is as heavy as the unit you are looking at.

The rear axle rating for the RAM is what you should be looking at IMHO.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-31-2014, 05:50 AM   #16

Or

Buy so much truck you don't need to do the math

I hate math

hone eagle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2014, 07:10 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by hone eagle View Post
I hate math
So do I. I bought a Freightliner ... far cheaper than the RAM 3500 I was going to buy...
Old 12-31-2014, 08:29 AM   #18

Quote:
Or

Buy so much truck you don't need to do the math

I hate math
Be honest you enjoy looking down on the little people!
Old 12-31-2014, 10:02 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cummins12V98 View Post
Be honest you enjoy looking down on the little people!
Not at all
I do how ever try and get my 2 cents in , because if I had a dollar for every time I was camping and a guy stopped dead in his tracks and looked at my TV, 'thats a semi ?' - cool idea. I could camp for free.
Its just that its a option that should be considered by anyone that tows heavy.

far far cheaper
cost per mile is the same (9 MPG)
far far more comfortable
far far safer
and if your a cummins fan you can get the 'big un' :-)
Old 12-31-2014, 11:11 AM   #20

Quote:
Not at all
I do how ever try and get my 2 cents in , because if I had a dollar for every time I was camping and a guy stopped dead in his tracks and looked at my TV, 'thats a semi ?' - cool idea. I could camp for free.
Its just that its a option that should be considered by anyone that tows heavy.

far far cheaper
far far more comfortable
far far safer
I was just messing with ya!

I am sure it's nice to be able to see traffic way ahead at times. I can't argue at all with what you have said except for comfort. I have towed many different rigs over many years and have been in a rollover towing something too big for my rig. So I am very sensitive about my tow rigs. I have been extremely pleased at how well my RAM Dually handles 29K combined in all weather and road conditions.

My wife drives the Dually but no way would she drive a MDT or HDT!
Old 12-31-2014, 01:29 PM   #21

My wife drives it ,fully automated trans.
My shoulders and neck are never stiff anymore,even after a 12 hour stretch ,not for everyone but works for us,besides I can't afford to keep up with the high dollars the pickup guys spend, too rich for me.
The last Dodge I saw up here in Canada (loaded DD) would of been over $100,000 tax in.
Yikes
Old 12-31-2014, 09:46 PM   #22

Quote:
Not at all

far far cheaper
far far more comfortable
far far safer
Or you can get the lil' one, the lil' one is ONLY 10.8L

It is nice have the 2 position Jake brake, and 250 gallons of fuel!
rollondown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2015, 12:36 AM   #23

The DOT has gone just about overboard with itís directions to the RV trailer manufacturers in regards to vehicle weight identification. They MUST certify the trailerís GVWR. They MUST certify each of the trailerís axles GAWR. They MUST select tires and rims and set the recommended tire pressures. They MUST provide a valid cargo placard with each new trailer. And they MUST establish a hitch weight that will equal the trailers GVWR when combined with total GAWR.

If they have not advertised their established hitch weight in any of their public documents than ask them for the weight used when certifying the weights displayed on the trailerís certification label.

Iím not responsible for the following quote. Itís from a FMVSS Q&A PDF..

ďThe FMVSS have requirements for the manufacturer to use proper tires and rims for the gross axle weight rating (GAWR) and the gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR). The manufacturer may determine the GVWR by adding cargo capacity (if any) to the curb weight of the vehicle as manufactured. The wise consumer, before purchase, will determine if the vehicle has sufficient cargo capacity to carry the weight of water, additional equipment (such as televisions, and microwave ovens), and luggage. The manufacturerís certification label must show the GVWR. The GVWR must not be exceeded by overloading the vehicle. There is little the government can do to assist a consumer who has purchased a vehicle that has insufficient cargo capacity for its intended use.Ē

FastEagle
FastEagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2015, 11:11 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by rollondown View Post
Or you can get the lil' one, the lil' one is ONLY 10.8L

It is nice have the 2 position Jake brake, and 250 gallons of fuel!
Ya the 250 gallons is what keeps the cost per mile less then my old 7.3.
With a range of over 2000km I only buy fuel before and at the end of camping season.
Old 01-01-2015, 03:15 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastEagle View Post
There is little the government can do to assist a consumer who has purchased a vehicle that has insufficient cargo capacity for its intended use.Ē

FastEagle
Frankly, in my original post I was actually seeking corroboration to the assumption I had already made, and that is, I can load everything I need to live comfortably on the road this particular trailer without the resulting pin weight overloading the truck's payload or rear axle rating because I'll probably need only about half of the listed CCC.

That unit offers a generous 3995 lbs of cargo carrying capability. Of all the 5th wheels I've seen (after nearly a year of research) that seems rather high. Many, many of them boast 2,000 to 3,000 lbs CCC, and folks seem to be happy with that. However, having zero experience to date as a full-timer, I really don't know much gear we can live with or without.

If I knew the actual dry pin weight, I could mathematically determine how much cargo I could carry before reaching any one of several weight limits. Perhaps a better question might have been how much stuff (weight) does the typical full-timer lug around in their RV. I think I'll post that in the full-timer section.
Radio Flyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 09:27 AM   #26

About 1200# per person. Wife and I plus 2 small dogs add less than 3k
2003 Teton Grand Freedom. 2006 Freightliner Century 120 with Detroit 14L and Ultrashift.. Full time going from job to job. Building and maintaining plants across the USA. Sold 2006 Mobile Suites 32TK3
glennwest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 11:56 AM   #27

Quote:
My wife drives it ,fully automated trans.
My shoulders and neck are never stiff anymore,even after a 12 hour stretch ,not for everyone but works for us,besides I can't afford to keep up with the high dollars the pickup guys spend, too rich for me.
The last Dodge I saw up here in Canada (loaded DD) would of been over $100,000 tax in.
Yikes
What part of Canada do you call home ?

A RAM 3500 with some brake work and a jake is over 100K here ...before the 15% tax..

And maintenance and cost per mile is cheaper as well..

I didn't go as large as you did but it just made economic sense to us...we will do the MDT for awhile so my wife can get used to it...we have an ultra shift and jake ..and out rig is just under 13K so we will be getting better mileage and it will gibe us a chance to go larger if we want to..our MDT is low mileage ...

Ian.
Old 01-02-2015, 06:19 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by grassy View Post
What part of Canada do you call home ?

A RAM 3500 with some brake work and a jake is over 100K here ...before the 15% tax..

And maintenance and cost per mile is cheaper as well..

I didn't go as large as you did but it just made economic sense to us...we will do the MDT for awhile so my wife can get used to it...we have an ultra shift and jake ..and out rig is just under 13K so we will be getting better mileage and it will gibe us a chance to go larger if we want to..our MDT is low mileage ...

Ian.
Essex ontario -20 minutes from the international crossing and duty free fuel.
around $0.60 a liter
woot woot

Tags
weight