Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-03-2015, 11:05 AM   #29

We are still at 98 cents...you certainly are at the tip..my DW is from Gananoque..

We live in NS...

ian
grassy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-03-2015, 03:32 PM   #30

The DRV 39DBRS3 advertised dry weight is 15,750#. It has two 8,000# axles. The DRV 38xxxx models have a dry weight of 15,000#, with dry pin weight of 3,000# A rough estimate for dry pin weight on your model may be calculated using FastEagles formula in his first reply.
Per the DRV numbers, 3,000 is 20% of 15,000. I would expect that same percentage to be applied to your model. We all know however, that is not real-world facts after the 5er is fully loaded, including a full fresh water tank and full propane bottles. Personally I expect full-loaded pin weight to be around/over 4,000#. I would not attempt extensive towing this particular 5er with anything less than a class 5 truck.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2015, 11:15 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
The DRV 39DBRS3 advertised dry weight is 15,750#. It has two 8,000# axles. The DRV 38xxxx models have a dry weight of 15,000#, with dry pin weight of 3,000#
Trust me, Ray, I've been all over the DRV website and I'm well aware of the weights they post (or don't post) on this model and similar models. And I've driven well over a hundred miles to the nearest DRV dealers several times to see the units myself and ask questions face to face. I can make assumptions based on estimates. Even if I knew the exact dry pin weight, I'd still be making assumptions until I actually put the rig on the scales loaded with everything I intend to carry. But unfortunately, I can't do that unless I buy it first.

I'll make my decision after the RV Super Show in Tampa later this month. I may take the cautious route and buy a somewhat lighter RV, even though we love this floorpan so much more than anything else we've seen. But I won't be buying a class 5 truck.
Radio Flyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2015, 12:26 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radio Flyer View Post
Trust me, Ray, I've been all over the DRV website and I'm well aware of the weights they post (or don't post) on this model and similar models. And I've driven well over a hundred miles to the nearest DRV dealers several times to see the units myself and ask questions face to face. I can make assumptions based on estimates. Even if I knew the exact dry pin weight, I'd still be making assumptions until I actually put the rig on the scales loaded with everything I intend to carry. But unfortunately, I can't do that unless I buy it first.

I'll make my decision after the RV Super Show in Tampa later this month. I may take the cautious route and buy a somewhat lighter RV, even though we love this floorpan so much more than anything else we've seen. But I won't be buying a class 5 truck.
We lived in Jax for 23 years before we started full timing. Got our fiver at lazy days in Seffner. I've been to the last couple of shows at the equestrian grounds in Jax and never saw any DRV units. We wintered in St. Pete one year and the show in Tampa had a full line of DRV trailers. We always coveted the DRV units but just didn't want the needed MDT to haul it with.

Do you know the American Legion post 137 on San Juan Ave has an eight site gated RV park on Cedar River with paved launching and floating mooring?

Good luck on your travels.

FastEagle
FastEagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2015, 08:11 AM   #33

Even if I knew the exact dry pin weight, I'd still be making assumptions until I actually put the rig on the scales loaded with everything I intend to carry. But unfortunately, I can't do that unless I buy it first.

You have answered your questions with this statement. As a long-time owner of a shorter DRV, and having monitored/participated in the 2 most-active Suites forums, I feel I can say your PW will be at least 41-4200lbs, probably more. What is the GRAWR for the Ram you are going to use? Why not test-drive a similar truck and take it to a scale that will give you the actual weights on the axles--at least that will give you a starting point on what the truck can handle.
As mentioned above, why not get on the SOITC forum and see if anyone already has a hitchup close to what you are thinking about? Lots of Ram owners there...if you were to end up 2-300lbs over some where, is that a deal-killer?
If you and your wife really like the floorplan on the trailer, I would think going to some lesser/lighter trailer will bother you down the road--spending +$150000 and not getting what you really wanted...
Good luck, hope you work it out.
Joe
'05 36TK3 Mobile Suites--retired but not forgotten
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2015, 09:47 AM   #34

Should not be telling you this because I hate the idea ,but MS will move the axles forward a bit (6") it will make for a lighter pin.
hone eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 09:35 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by hone eagle View Post
Should not be telling you this because I hate the idea, but MS will move the axles forward a bit (6"). it will make for a lighter pin.
That's interesting. Based on rough measurements I took while at a Florida dealership this past summer, the "back-of-ball" ratio is already at 67% (in the caution zone). I'd be sacrificing even more stability in order to gain a slightly lighter pin. Probably not a good idea. Good to know, though, that the factory is flexible with the customer's desires. Thanks for the heads-up.
Old 01-06-2015, 10:12 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingnut60 View Post
What is the GRAWR for the Ram you are going to use? If you were to end up 2-300lbs over some where, is that a deal-killer? If you and your wife really like the floorplan on the trailer, I would think going to some lesser/lighter trailer will bother you down the road--spending +$150000 and not getting what you really wanted...
The rear axle is rated at 9750 lbs and the rear axle curb weight is 3343 lbs. I'm not so worried about the axle as I am about the payload, which is only 5680. And often the tire loading safety label is even more restrictive.

I'm not sure if a couple hundred pounds over wood be a deal killer, but I know it would bother me. On the other hand, it would bother me more if we settled for a smaller unit and realized a short time later we wished we hadn't.
Old 01-06-2015, 10:14 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastEagle View Post
Do you know the American Legion post 137 on San Juan Ave has an eight site gated RV park on Cedar River with paved launching and floating mooring?
No I did not. I'll have to look into that. Thanks.
Old 03-18-2015, 04:30 PM   #38

2015 Mobile Suite 38RSSB3

Here are my numbers Street side front 4295 rear 4091,Curb side 3686 rear 3480...Axle weight front 7880 rear 7440 total axel weight 15320...Pin weight 5185 Total trailer weight 20385 dry with nothing in it...My truck is going to be just about at its rated limits once we put our gear in it...But I just pulled it 800 miles from Georgia where I bought it to Maryland where I live and the old truck did a great job with it...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Ram and DRV.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	152.3 KB
ID:	88866  
suiteowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 04:40 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radio Flyer View Post
We’ve narrowed our search for a full-time RV to a very short list, with the DRV Mobile Suites 39DBRS3 at the top of that list. I have no doubt that a properly equipped RAM 3500 dually can pull the fully loaded trailer but I don’t know at what point the kingpin will exceed the truck’s payload or rear axle capacity because the manufacturer has not published the dry pin weight.

Is there anyone out there who owns one of these units that has actually put it on the scales? If so, what are the numbers?
Your trucks rear axel capacity is right around 10,000 pounds you should be fine as too pin weight with that truck...
Old 03-18-2015, 05:15 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by suiteowner View Post
Here are my numbers Street side front 4295 rear 4091,Curb side 3686 rear 3480...Axle weight front 7880 rear 7440 total axel weight 15320...Pin weight 5185 Total trailer weight 20385 dry with nothing in it...My truck is going to be just about at its rated limits once we put our gear in it...But I just pulled it 800 miles from Georgia where I bought it to Maryland where I live and the old truck did a great job with it...
At the moment my major concern is my hitch it is a 18,000 pound Reese...In August I have decided to trade my truck in for a new Ram of course...The new trucks have the holes in the bed for a new designed hitch that you can purchase from Dodge or after market models...I will be getting a new heavier hitch then...I feel I will be okay with my current setup until then...
Old 03-19-2015, 08:15 PM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by suiteowner View Post
At the moment my major concern is my hitch it is a 18,000 pound Reese...In August I have decided to trade my truck in for a new Ram of course...The new trucks have the holes in the bed for a new designed hitch that you can purchase from Dodge or after market models...I will be getting a new heavier hitch then...I feel I will be okay with my current setup until then...
I would highly suggest this hitch! 25K towing and 6,250 pin! RVK3600 B&W

Cummins12V98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 08:43 PM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cummins12V98 View Post
I would highly suggest this hitch! 25K towing and 6,250 pin! RVK3600 B&W

Cummins did you get that hitch from the dealer when you bought your truck? It looks beefy!!!!

Tags
weight