Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 07-27-2014, 01:30 PM   #29
Originally Posted by plasma800 View Post
Ok so this raises an interesting point.

If were to go out and buy a brand new chevy 3500HD - their site says towing up to 19000 lbs I think. But what weight would you "really" want to tow there? 12,000 lbs? 15,000?

To be honest, I don't need a 45' 5er --- As far as I'm concerned, there's almost too much space in my 40' some of which I think is wasted space. When we were looking at new Class A - we saw one that was 34' feet that we loved!
Pretty sure you could tow those weights with a single rear wheel truck. We towed our 34' (actually 35' 5") Excel which weighs 15,500 loaded with a 2012 GMC 3500 Duramax single rear wheel with the standard bed for a couple of years. We were within specs for the truck but close on the load capacity. I think our hitch weight of 3100 lbs caused some uncomfortable bucking, chucking, whatever you call it though. It really made the wife uneasy when we hit some rough roads. The new dually is so much better as all that is gone and I feel like I'm in better control. I feel like it is a perfect match for our fifth wheel.

2013 Excel Winslow 34RKM
2015 GMC 3500 Denali Duramax 4X4 dually
JDT is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-28-2014, 07:43 AM   #30
Texas Boomers Club
A lot will have to do with the type of towing you'll be doing too. If you just plan on staying local and don't use the RV for cross country trips a single wheel truck will do just fine. I would still try to find one of the 1 tons in single wheel for the payload though. They are getting harder to find. If you plan on cross country trips the dually is a more stable platform and and like JDT says it makes for a more comfortable ride. Your Revolution is a nice RV too, so changing for me would just depend on how much I used it. In our case back when we had the A it was a gasser and it sat for a good part of the year and only got 6 miles to a gal. That was a lot of money on upkeep and payments to just let sit and then when we did use it costs a fortune in gas to go anywhere. Plus we had to keep a small car on hand to tow so we could go places when we got there. With the 5er and truck I can do most of the up keep and I always had a truck anyways. Now I can get a larger car which we need lol lol, and the truck gets 11 mpg towing. The only upkeep on the trailer is check the brakes and maybe grease the bearings and keep good tires on it. Good tires is the most important thing on a 5er. Dump the ST tires before you even leave the lot... If you get a 12k lb trailer then regular LT truck tires is the way to go. Especially here in Texas with the heat and our speed limits. I can at least tow 65-70 mph depending on traffic and road condition...you do that with ST tires and you will tear up a big chunk of your trailer. You don't have to worry bout brake controllers any more. I think all the newer trucks come with a built in controller and all the big 3's controllers are fairly decent. Now the really new trucks all have built in hitch hook ups..eliminates the bed rails for a flatter bed when not towing. On the trailer make sure it comes with one of the better suspension systems like EZ Flex or Equa Flex. If it is just regular old leaf springs even with shocks the trailer bounces like a basketball. That becomes real important if you get a rear kitchen like I have lol lol it will pre-scamble your eggs lol lol .....So for comfortable towing that is basically all you need. You can get into the air ride hitches and pin set ups but I would only get into that if you get a heavier rig. Mine tows just fine with out those. I was scared to death when I made the change just looking at the size of a 5th wheel hooked to my truck, and I have towed a lot of different trailers. But once I left the dealers lot and got on I 35 I was grinning from ear to ear. Went home and loaded up with the rest of our stuff and left the next day for Pa. I am still cautious and make sure I stop at truck stops where I have lots of room. But at least now I can back up and wind or passing semi's no longer freak me out........

2010 Dodge Ram Laramie Big Bertha
2014 Cedar Creek Silverback 29IK
Dave and Jeannie with Chico & Princess Miss Bella
steelpony555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 12:52 PM   #31
We've had a 5th wheel for 7 years now 4 of which we were transiate and traveling to different campgrounds every weekend. About 3 years ago we decided to go seasonal and pull out for special occasions. As others have said it depends on what type of life style or travel your doing. As a seasonal I love the 5th wheel. We drive up in my wifes RAV and I leave the tow vehical at home. It's basically our little cottage. But if I was to go full time or go out to travel the country months at a time there is no way I would want to be hauling a 5th wheel around. I know plenty of people do, but my 4 years of hauling it around 26 weekends plus 3 or 4 weeks for vacation a summer determined that for me. 2 couples that we travel with have Class A's and on the longer trips IMO that is the way to travel. So much more convenient and comfortable. Also if you have pets you don't have to cage them up. Bathroom convenience, Kitchen convenience. Pull into Walmart and you have AC from house batteries for a quick overnight rest. Plus the bigger or heavier the 5er the bigger the TV. The 5ers that have all the emenities of a Class A are very heavy and your TV is going to be fairly hefty if not a 5th wheel hauler. Then thats the vehical you have to travel around in to sightsee or what have you. You want to go to the local country store for a gallon of milk your basically hoping in your 18 wheeler cab to drive there. That's at least the reasoning I've had when trying to decide what to do when we retire.
BQuint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 11:31 AM   #32
We went from 39'dp to 5th wheel. If you spend a lot of time on the road MH is better. More freedom to move around and use facilities and get refreshments. I like the livability of the 5th wheel.
sunnybrook3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 09:57 PM   #33
My wife and I had 2 FifthWheels, then 2 motorhomes, a Newmar Ventana and a 42' Holiday Rambler tag. Our motorhomes were quality units in good working order.

Last month we traded out Holiday Rambler back in on a new Heartland Landmark and we are pulling with a late mode Ram 3500.

We loved the convenience of the motorhome but we feel we have more room in our new fifthwheel even with 1 less slide. Basement storage is immense in the big trailers, in fact we now store in 1 bay the same stuff that filled 2 on the motorhome. Set up is fast and easy with the various auto levelling systems that are now being used on trailers.

Finally and I have put this out there on another forum - the thing that I don't miss at all from the motorhome was the large hole in the center of it where we used to throw all of our money!

Adam Hunter and Family.
2009 Newmar DutchAire 4330 (The only DA 4330)
2015 F150 SuperCrew Toad
Adam Hunter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 05:41 AM   #34
I went from a class A to a 5ver. They each have their pros and cons, whether a TT, 5ver, or MH. If you travel and move a lot, then a class A is the way to go.
Appy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2014, 03:36 PM   #35
Like most on this thread have eluded to, there is no right or wrong answer.

For us, we FT with two growing kids who need their own beds so we needed a bunkhouse-type RV. Very few are built that way in the MH arena so we looked at 5ers. Without a doubt there is just more livable space in a typical larger 5er than a MH, at least when it comes to room enough for 4 people. If it were just my wife and I, we'd be in a DP MH for sure. The ease of use with a MH is far superior to that of a FW, for both setup and driving. I'm not so sure I agree with the Mx cost issue on the engine and drive-train side of things, since you'll have do the same with a one-ton pickup. But other things like brakes, suspension, and tires will certainly cost more to maintain. Other than that, the systems are the same: Water heater, black and gray water, furnace, propane, air conditioners, both the FW and MH are identical in that regard. THe fiberglass roof of a MH is far better than a TPO rubber membrane that 5ers come with. However, if you maintain your rubber roof you should be able to get 15 years out of it... easily. And if it's still in good shape at that point all you have to do is a dicor re-seal and you're good for another 5-7 years.

Setup: I don't know that it takes all THAT much longer. The more you do it, the better you get at it and the more routines you build- into your approach. It goes faster each time but a lot of that depends on how well you stay organized, and, more importantly, the layout of the sight pad. I've seen motorhomes that have had to use wood blocks and jack-pads on all their levelers just to attain level so in that instance they are going through the same set-up time as we 5ers are. The spot I was given at FishingBridge in YNP was so pot-hole ridden that it took me an hour to set up. That was extreme. Most times it takes me 20-30 min to set-up. I've done it in as little as 10 min. Breaking camp always takes longer because of all the stuff we have to put away including mats, my port-a-deck, awning, tables and chairs, etc. That wouldn't be any less with a MH.

I have a Thor Jazz International BHS. The best part about that FW is the storage space. We keep looking at new ones but none have the storage this one has. I hate clutter so the storage allows me to stay organized yet still carry everything I need for full-timing.
cptgregger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 02:19 PM   #36
I think more important is the towing options of a MH verses the 5ver. You can pull boats, quads, snowmobiles, concession trailers comfortably. Pulling a 5ver plus anything creates a very long convoy, you better know what your doing, your weight and balance and have balls of steel.
2000 Damon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 09:50 PM   #37
I have seen a few MH Pulling boats but l have never see one on a boat ramp putting the boat in. I guess they do.
jacknife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 09:56 PM   #38
Fuel mileage is never good on an MH. They have the aero dynamics of a brick. But if you get a real heavy fiver it will not be good either. Most newer TVs get on the 10-11 range towing about 15 grand or so average. I guess as the saying goes if you can afford to buy it, then you can afford to drive it.
Old 10-26-2014, 05:33 AM   #39
Newmar Owners Club
You have to weight in on what you want to do when you get to where your going. Yes our 5-ER has more room, more slides (40') but, it can't carry our kayaks and the dully will not fit into tight fishing spots. So for us the Newmar 34' gasser with jeep holding the 2 12' kayaks was the answer. Just did not want to give up the "on the water time", it's our mental health. Figure out what your going to do with your time on the road and what toys are a must and go from there. Yes our 5er tows better with DW truck, yes we get better mileage, and we love our king size bed Alpine, but it can't help us fish and boat across this great country! The Used Newmar can and does meet the traveling requirements, while the Alpine sits on the lake in a seasonal site. Just my .02
2 of us + 1 rescue, Sadie (not sure who rescued who)
Toad: 11' 2dr Jeep Wrangler, 2010 Fit Sport
11' Bay Star 3302,11' Alpine 3555RL 40' 5er
T Gibson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 06:50 PM   #40
I have see a couple of fivers with Kayak racks on the back.
Old 10-27-2014, 07:11 PM   #41
We have a 40 ft 5th wheel RV towed with a 4 x 4 SRW truck. The tandem kayak sits on the cab while towing and over the box without the RV in tow. Never worry about cost of repairs. When truck is to old we will just get a newer one. The RV is a keeper. The last one we owned for 15 years and last truck 9 years. This truck is now 9 years old and worth 75% purchased price 7 years ago. So to us a truck and RV combination is right. If we need the car the wife follows me and gas mileage is no concern as the wear on the car is the same towing or driving. Plus we use both vehicles as kayak transporters when doing river currents. One at drop area and the other at the destination.
Barbara and Laurent, Hartland Big Country 3500RL. 39 ft long and 15500 GVW.
2005 Ford F250 SD, XL F250 4x4, Long Box, 6.0L Diesel, 6 Speed Stick, Hypertech Max Energy for Fuel mileage of 21 MPusG empty, 12.6 MPusG pulling the BC. ScangaugeII for display..
caissiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 08:08 PM   #42
Originally Posted by plasma800 View Post

Wife and I are looking for land near Houston, and I betcha that truck would come more than handy there though!
Not to get off topic but I couldn't resist commenting...

My wife and I are also looking for property somewhere in the Houston area. We would like to build a pole barn for RV storage, smaller workshop with A/C, garage, etc. We would like to attach a 2000ish sq. ft. living quarters to the pole barn. This would of course require us to find land that didn't restrict this type of set-up. I am still working and plan to until January 2019 but we would like to sell our too big of home in the 'burbs and move into the above described set-up.

Back on topic...at some point we would add an RV to this equation. We are still pretty torn on whether to go with a DP or a 5er (owned a 5er in the past but never had a DP) and as often as I read threads like this I never find anything that sways me one way or the other...they both have positives and negatives and my pro/con chart has yet to deliver the final/final answer for us. Alas, at some point we must decide.

Larry & Jan

Ex-Navy/retired Coast Guard CWO w/ 34 Years Total Service. Goal: 2016 - Sell our house and begin full-timing. January 2019 - Retire for good from my job and hit the road.
LJSteinmetz is offline   Reply With Quote

5th wheel, class a