Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-24-2014, 02:37 PM   #15

Lots been said about ease of setup with MH. I really question this. With autolevel standard on most full time units now set up not that much different. You do have to hitch and unhitch, rather simple. You have to hookup sewer and water on both. Only separation I see is length of time setting. DPers need to run. They don't fair well sitting for extended times. With my gypsy working style 5ther works best for us. I might stay up to a year on same job. Most are 3-4 weeks but some are long term. And if you tow with an HDT many of the commodities of the MH is provided.
2003 Teton Grand Freedom. 2006 Freightliner Century 120 with Detroit 14L and Ultrashift.2016 Smartcar carry on deck. Full time going from job to job. Building and maintaining plants across the USA. Sold 2006 Mobile Suites 32TK3
glennwest is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-24-2014, 03:19 PM   #16
JDT

We did two years ago. We had a 39' dp for 7 years. It is a fun way to travel and more convenient for the person not driving. When we decided to make a change we looked at new dp's but the cost for something on the same level or nicer than what we had drove us away. You can get a lot more bang for your buck with a fiver/truck combo. Our traveling friends recently bought a used but very nice 2012 40 foot motorhome and they have $40k more in it than we do in ours.

As for ease of set up I can hook and unhook from the Excel faster than I could the car we towed behind the motorhome. We have auto level on the fifth wheel and didn't on the motorhome so that is also faster. All in all we have been very happy with the choice we made.
JDT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 03:34 PM   #17
D333RLT Tower

Texas Boomers Club
Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by plasma800 View Post
interesting points.

We move around a lot when we travel. Several days to get where we are going, couple of days there, then off to a new spot for a while.

There are things I really love about my class a, but fixes and repair bills aren't one of them. Worrying about the thing breaking down also isn't one of them.

We do a lot of trade shows mixed with some work from the road type stuff. We've been known to sit in one place for up to two weeks, and we've also been known to stick and brick it for a couple of months before heading back out.

With a 5th wheel, it sure seems like you can get a lot for your money when you compare the two. And if the 5th wheel sits for a while, not the end of the world.
Don't forget about the "big A" truck you are going to need to properly haul that fifth-wheel.
We did go from class A to fiver but then went back to class A. Wife just couldn't stand to ride in the F450 (rough riding when unloaded) and once in your fifth wheel you are not done with steps like in your class A.
Old 07-24-2014, 06:43 PM   #18

Tiffin Owners Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
MH vs 5er

I can't say what I regret ....however the 5th that we have has most things that a MH has .generator.. Auto levelers, it remembers the level when we are ready to hook up , , have push button for sewer drainage..(. You still have to hook up the hose ) water , electricity .. The difference for us between the two , we would rather pull the 5ver and have our truck, than have a car in tow.... For the type of use... 5th wheel works, it is a matter of personal choice for each individual .
GFDOUCET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 06:48 PM   #19

Monaco Owners Club
The only time I would consider moving from my Class A Monaco into a 5ver is when it's time to give up the road and settle in on being in one spot for the duration with no intentions of moving it unless there was an emergency.

There are some really beautiful large 5vers that would make great full-time living units but for traveling I prefer my Class A.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 11:27 PM   #20

We've had 2 fivers (a Carriage and our current Brookstone), and 2 MH's (A Bounder and a Damon Intruder). We love both options...but currently the 5ver works for us. The MH was better for us when we had young children traveling with us..we could hit the road in the mornings while they were still sleeping. Now that it's just the two of us, the fiver seems better for us and we like having a truck as our 2nd car (Ford F350 dually diesel). There is a lot more versatility in fiver floorplans. Husbands sister and husband just got a 40ft DP with 2 baths. They're also putting a 2nd bath in fivers now too. They mostly go off for golf weekends. We couldn't justify spending $225K AND the price of a new toad to do only that! We spent HALF that on our fiver and truck...plus our fuel mileage is twice as much! We went from 6-7mpg with our MH to averaging 13mpg with our 39' fiver. I could probably count on one hand the number of times I got up from the passenger seat to use the bathroom while,going down the road in the MH! As far as a MH being better for traveling?? We just took 2 month long coast to coast road trip in our truck and fiver where we were on the road nearly every day except for a few times where we visited relatives, etc. No problems at all with setup, etc. just as quick as with the MH...and hubby says it's quicker for him to hook the truck to the fiver, than hitching the toad to the MH.
Anyway...I could go on...but just our .02cents
Old 07-25-2014, 07:19 AM   #21

This is a great discussion and for me finding this thread couldn't be more timely. I currently live 3/4 time in and older class A gasser which hardly ever leaves the campground. I plan to retire in two years and then my wife and I will spend a couple years exploring America. We are struggling with the decision to go DP or 5ER. The comments about a DP sitting still for extended periods is something I hadn't thought about. Until I retire the new RV won't move much. We will head off to Talladega or the Gulf Coast 4 or 5 times a year for extended weekend trips but the rest of the time the RV won't move. I also worry about DP operating costs. If the F350 breaks down it can be fixed at the local Ford dealership. Our current plan is to find a 5ER I can live in 3/4 time and a Truck to pull it. In two years when I retire, we will have worked out the bugs in the rig and be ready to hit the road.
KD4XR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 05:23 PM   #22

Texas Boomers Club
I think a lot has to do with the kind of funds you have. We had an A but it was an older Bounder that was terrible to drive and no slides. Went to a 5er and have not looked back. The only way I will go back to a A is if I hit the lottery. To have the room and comfort and also the road manners of my truck and 5er you would have to get a large diesel pusher. They are just way too expensive. And then you have to tow a car to get around. And the upkeep and maintenance is way more then my 3500 and trailer. So when I hit the lottery yes I will have a Prevost lol lol
steelpony555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 12:08 PM   #23

Funds didn't fit in picture for us. Not that much diff anyway. Have to buy truck and 5ther.
2003 Teton Grand Freedom. 2006 Freightliner Century 120 with Detroit 14L and Ultrashift.2016 Smartcar carry on deck. Full time going from job to job. Building and maintaining plants across the USA. Sold 2006 Mobile Suites 32TK3
glennwest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 03:52 PM   #24

Fleetwood Owners Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by steelpony555 View Post
I think a lot has to do with the kind of funds you have. We had an A but it was an older Bounder that was terrible to drive and no slides. Went to a 5er and have not looked back. The only way I will go back to a A is if I hit the lottery. To have the room and comfort and also the road manners of my truck and 5er you would have to get a large diesel pusher. They are just way too expensive. And then you have to tow a car to get around. And the upkeep and maintenance is way more then my 3500 and trailer. So when I hit the lottery yes I will have a Prevost lol lol
I'm feelin' you on this thought!

I've never driven that large of a truck with a long towable on it, but I can tell you that long distance driving in a class a can be nerve wracking at times. I wonder how the manners of the HD truck and 5er are?
RVM#78 - -USAF- F-15 Eagle Radar Vet
'5 Fleetwood Revolution- '15 Airstream Intl Sig. 27FB
Jay, Andrea, Stella '14 Ram 3500 Aisin '18 ORV F30RLS
plasma800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 09:09 PM   #25

Texas Boomers Club
It is just how you set up your rig. Even a 5er and truck need set up to tow great. The trailer may need suspension work as well as better tires then the ones coming from the factory. Most time a 3500 tow will tow a 5er just fine. But once you're set up, you can tow very relaxed. You still have to be careful not to get into a tight place just as with a large A. But setting up a 5er to tow is still cheaper then buying a diesel pusher. But with my rig I have gone up to 10 to 12 hours non stop and come out feeling like I just drove there in my car. Of all the RV's I have towed or driven the rig I have now probably has the best road manners, well except for the pop up.....
Old 07-27-2014, 10:05 AM   #26

Fleetwood Owners Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
It is just how you set up your rig. Even a 5er and truck need set up to tow great. The trailer may need suspension work as well as better tires then the ones coming from the factory. Most time a 3500 tow will tow a 5er just fine. But once you're set up, you can tow very relaxed. You still have to be careful not to get into a tight place just as with a large A. But setting up a 5er to tow is still cheaper then buying a diesel pusher. But with my rig I have gone up to 10 to 12 hours non stop and come out feeling like I just drove there in my car. Of all the RV's I have towed or driven the rig I have now probably has the best road manners, well except for the pop up.....
Ok so this raises an interesting point.

If were to go out and buy a brand new chevy 3500HD - their site says towing up to 19000 lbs I think. But what weight would you "really" want to tow there? 12,000 lbs? 15,000?

To be honest, I don't need a 45' 5er --- As far as I'm concerned, there's almost too much space in my 40' some of which I think is wasted space. When we were looking at new Class A - we saw one that was 34' feet that we loved!
Old 07-27-2014, 11:31 AM   #27

Texas Boomers Club
Most any 3500 will be able to handle up to 18k lbs with no problems and tow just fine. Buuuut I know lots of folks that tow way more weight then that with 3500 duallies lol lol ....yeah I know the weight police will be along shortly to rant and rave, but that don't stop these ranchers or hot shots from towing up in the 20-25k lb range lol lol.....Would I want to tow that much with mine even though it can??? Nah.... But towing most 5ers is not a problem for them. In the range you are talking at 12k even a 2500 would do well. My trailer is 125000 lbs (just weighed it on the last trip) and we do tow long distances so I like the dually. Now lots of guys don't like duallies cause they don't fit in Walmarts parking lot??? I use mine as a daily driver and no I don't fit in a lot of drive thru's but I don't have a problem in Walmart or the grocery store. Here in Texas you will find lots of families where their dually is their daily driver even to go on vacation. But at 12k that truck will still have lots of pick up and go and won't get pushed around. I recently got a used low mileage Dodge Laramie and it is one of the most comfortable rides we have made. It does have all the bells and whistles, probably more then my Cadillac does, and that makes for a nice ride if you travel long distances....

Dang, just seen you're from Houston, then you should know there are lots of duallies around here lol lol
Old 07-27-2014, 12:13 PM   #28

Fleetwood Owners Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Most any 3500 will be able to handle up to 18k lbs with no problems and tow just fine. Buuuut I know lots of folks that tow way more weight then that with 3500 duallies lol lol ....yeah I know the weight police will be along shortly to rant and rave, but that don't stop these ranchers or hot shots from towing up in the 20-25k lb range lol lol.....Would I want to tow that much with mine even though it can??? Nah.... But towing most 5ers is not a problem for them. In the range you are talking at 12k even a 2500 would do well. My trailer is 125000 lbs (just weighed it on the last trip) and we do tow long distances so I like the dually. Now lots of guys don't like duallies cause they don't fit in Walmarts parking lot??? I use mine as a daily driver and no I don't fit in a lot of drive thru's but I don't have a problem in Walmart or the grocery store. Here in Texas you will find lots of families where their dually is their daily driver even to go on vacation. But at 12k that truck will still have lots of pick up and go and won't get pushed around. I recently got a used low mileage Dodge Laramie and it is one of the most comfortable rides we have made. It does have all the bells and whistles, probably more then my Cadillac does, and that makes for a nice ride if you travel long distances....

Dang, just seen you're from Houston, then you should know there are lots of duallies around here lol lol
Yeah totally. Plus I try to avoid walmart if I can (cept for overnighting, and then I don't care where I fit

Admittedly, parking a long wide truck can be troublesome, but I also don't mind walking.

Wife and I are looking for land near Houston, and I betcha that truck would come more than handy there though!

Tags
5th wheel, class a