Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Northwood Manufacturing Owners Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-31-2016, 11:53 AM   #1

Arctic fox 29 vs 27 vs.....

Did not want to hijack the previous af thread. So i will start a new one. There appears to be a few owners here. Looking at the arctic fox 27 and 29 models and have some questions that might be answered here. 1. already having a 2008 dodge mega DRW what might be the approx total length of the 29-k with my dodge. 2. Were is the extra 6 ft or so feet in the 29-k compared to the 27. does the 4 point auto lvl make for an easier setup? 3. Bedroom air mandatory in 85+ heat. 3. in the 29 is TV located to far to see a football in the air......4th and final and probably the most important since i want to stay around 50ish...What is a good price to pay??? i know i just thought.....

Moving up from my lance 1181 for more storage.tankage and longer stays on the road. Not a full timer just want a little more space but not to much to were we cant get into some smaller spaces. nevada beach tahoe has 38 ft total with tv. Already booked there in july....

Thanks to all for any replies and inside knowledge.
Fishkiller1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-31-2016, 01:14 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishkiller1 View Post
Looking at the arctic fox 27 and 29 models and have some questions that might be answered here. Were is the extra 6 ft or so feet in the 29-k compared to the 27.
The living area is quite a bit larger in the 29, more storage/seating/etc. But the bedroom in the 29 is much larger and easier to get around in.

Quote:
does the 4 point auto lvl make for an easier setup?
I'd get it if I was to order. And if I bought one on the lot without it I'd ask the dealer to get it for me and use that as a price kick in.

Quote:
Bedroom air mandatory in 85+ heat.
Our local dealer only orders the bigger trailers with dual air. But to be honest, with the great insulation these rigs had I'd try one AC first. They are all pre-wired for two so you could upgrade later.

Quote:
in the 29 is TV located to far to see a football in the air......

No, the 29 is only 35'2" long. They don't put as big of TV's in these as some other companies do, but I saw no issues with TV placement. You are sort of craning your neck but that is common in most rigs.

I have looked at the AF 5'ers and really like them. But the wife pointed out the minimal inside storage compared to our 31' Keystone TT. She is correct, but our TT is an oddball trailer as it is wall to wall cabinets.
The bedroom in the 27 is impossible for me as I am 6'6" and getting around the bed was a nightmare. The 29 is better and doable but not as nice as a lot of trailers we've looked at. If you can do the bedroom in the 27 and it's just you and the wife it may be the better choice.
Good luck, Bob
Bob1340 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 02:44 PM   #3

I own the 27-5L. It is a tad under 30'; I pull with an F350 dually diesel. That may be a bit more truck than I need, but it pulls like a dream! My wife and I moved from an Arctic Fox 990 camper; it was a bit small for us. We wanted a smaller 5th wheel (for COE, national park, etc. campgrounds) but had to be a SOLID unit and room to spread out. Naturally, compared to the camper, it is very spacious. I am just at 6' and have no problem with the bedroom, but then, the bedroom is not that important - I spend most of my time outside of it! The living area is very comfortable, TV is perfectly situated across from the recliners, kitchen is laid out very well (my wife loves it), and the way the living room/dining room/kitchen is designed, it all feels bigger than it really is. A deal breaker for us was it had to be totally livable with all slides in, which it is. Everything except for a large kitchen pantry is accessible. The basement storage is smaller than what I would like, but we just put stuff in the back of the truck, so it's really not a big deal. We also will "camp" with my daughter and husband from time-to-time, and we are all comfortable in this rig. More than four, and it may start to feel like it's closing in on you. But for two, I think it is an ideal combination of openness (for living) and shortness (for parking). We did get a lot of options to simplify our life like the 50 amp upgrade, 5500 generator, auto-level, central vacuum etc., but we plan to keep this for many years, so it will all be worth it. We bought new - like all RVs, we had some "warranty" items that needed to be addressed, but all were minor and easily fixed by our dealer. We have had it almost a year now and have been very happy with it.
Johndaniels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 05:12 PM   #4

Hi Fishkiller,

We own the 295k. We pull it with an F450 crewcab, long box truck. Truck and trailer measure 52' from front of truck bumper to rear trailer bumper when hooked up. I suspect your truck and trailer combo would be very close to that.

We have had it in pretty warm weather without a/c in the bedroom and it seems pretty comfortable for us anyway.

I think the rest of your questions were answered in Bob's post, so I won't repeat them.

Good luck, and have fun shopping.
Old 03-31-2016, 06:19 PM   #5

Arctic Fox 27-5L- what is exterior height?

We are "this close" to closing a deal on what we think is the perfect fifth wheel for us in the Arctic Fox 27-5L fifth wheel.

Now triple checking specs and see that the exterior height is "approximately" 13 feet 3 inches--which includes the air. The unit we are looking at has the 15K air conditioner. Does anyone know the true height? Our garage door is 13 feet 8 inches.

thanks!
lifeisgrand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 09:28 PM   #6

Quote:
Did not want to hijack the previous af thread. So i will start a new one. There appears to be a few owners here. Looking at the arctic fox 27 and 29 models and have some questions that might be answered here. 1. already having a 2008 dodge mega DRW what might be the approx total length of the 29-k with my dodge. 2. Were is the extra 6 ft or so feet in the 29-k compared to the 27. does the 4 point auto lvl make for an easier setup? 3. Bedroom air mandatory in 85+ heat. 3. in the 29 is TV located to far to see a football in the air......4th and final and probably the most important since i want to stay around 50ish...What is a good price to pay??? i know i just thought.....

Moving up from my lance 1181 for more storage.tankage and longer stays on the road. Not a full timer just want a little more space but not to much to were we cant get into some smaller spaces. nevada beach tahoe has 38 ft total with tv. Already booked there in july....

Have you been to nroa2003.com, the Northwood Owners site? I'm thinking of buying an AF and have found good info there.
RussOnTheRoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 11:31 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeisgrand View Post
We are "this close" to closing a deal on what we think is the perfect fifth wheel for us in the Arctic Fox 27-5L fifth wheel.

Now triple checking specs and see that the exterior height is "approximately" 13 feet 3 inches--which includes the air. The unit we are looking at has the 15K air conditioner. Does anyone know the true height? Our garage door is 13 feet 8 inches.

thanks!
It should fit. I think mine measured about 13' 2". Mine has the 15k AC.
Johndaniels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 02:23 PM   #8

Every one is a little different in height. Mine is a 2016 27-5L with the 13.5 air conditioner, and it is 13' 5". You better measure very carefully. Dave-R
Dave-R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 04:24 PM   #9

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Just let the air out of the tires when putting it in the garage
Old 04-01-2016, 07:38 PM   #10

I just had my 2013 27 – 5L that has the 13.5 air-conditioner measured while it was being weighed and it was 12' 9". I'm a full-timer so that was hitched up with a full load ready to travel.

theboondork
Old 04-12-2016, 12:57 PM   #11

My wife and I have been full timing in our 2015 29-5k for just shy of a year and LOVE it.

We opted not to get the bedroom A/C as we knew we would do a lot of boondocking and thought the Fantastic Fan was a better option in the bedroom (they use the same placement so it is one or the other). We knew that it was pre-wired so we could always swap out down the road if we wanted.

We have family in LV and have been here when it has been in the high 90's and in those temps the bedroom A/C would have been nice, but we have spent far more times out in the boonies where the A/C would have been useless but we were able to run the Fantastic Fan so we think we made the right choice.

The rig is well insulated but I find it really comes down to how the sun hits the rig. In the desert I have been in 85-degree days where the sun was bearing down on us and the rig felt warmer then I would like (though liveable) with the one A/C. But I have also been in 95 - 100% temps where I have been in a shady spot with no direct sun and the rig was plenty comfortable with the one A/C. So if you pick the right spot to park that makes a difference.
cootersotg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 12:59 PM   #12

Also regarding the TV placement. For me the size of TV is fine, but the proximity to the slide made it difficult to see from the couch. Ultimately it didn't matter to me as we removed the recliners and put the couch over there and then I put a desk / workstation set up in the slide where the couch was.

But when the couch was in the slide the person sitting next to the window could only see about 2/3 of the screen.

The other half of the couch saw the screen fine and of course the recliners did as well, so not sure if that matters to you.
cootersotg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2016, 05:01 PM   #13

I would go with the six point level system. More stable.
rjdreyer is offline   Reply With Quote