Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-31-2016, 06:48 PM   #15

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Need to check your facts on some of your statements.

ORV and AF are not totally independant of one another as the chassis are produced in a separate plant for both companies.

Glacier Peak fifth wheels are by no means entry level nor are they light weight.

I compared the specs on the websites with the comparable AF unit to mine. While it does weigh 500 lbs more it gives up an equivilent amount of carrying capacity.

The Glacier Peak line is relatively new and not many have appeared on the used market.

AF is a full height fiver while the ORV is a mid profile design. Two distinct personalities in these trailers and both should be looked at as a choice when shopping for a quality unit.

Not trying to turn this into a Ford vs Dodge vs Chevy discussion.

Rick.

Tried being normal once, worst 2 minutes of my life!
Rickeoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-01-2016, 08:49 AM   #16

I took my information from Northwood Manufacturing itself..in an interview that they did...in reference to and after the buyout of ORV.

You are however correct on the weight carrying capacity. I went back and checked what I had then went to the ORV web site.I was relying on one of ORV's dealers who had the specs listed..should have gone to ORV directly. My mistake.

All of this is irrelevant if you don't like the floor plans..

BTW, RAMs rule

Old 02-01-2016, 10:39 AM   #17

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by grassy View Post

BTW, RAMs rule
I knew it

Old 02-01-2016, 11:11 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickeoni View Post
I knew it
Just funnin'... I pull with a class 5...
Old 02-01-2016, 10:25 PM   #19

We ordered our 29-5k in Dec. of '14 and took delivery last Feb (will be a year in a few days!!!) and went full time in May of last year. Prior to that we spent about 6 - 7 months of going to RV shows and researching on-line.

We love it and don't regret our choice one bit. In fact my wife and I just went to an RV show and after looking around we saw a few units where we liked this or that item better, but overall can't say that we would make a different choice after 9 months on the road.

The main reason we ordered it rather then taking one off the lot is that we wanted the queen bed so we could have the nightstands (and it is what we had at home so we are used to that) and all the dealers had kings in stock. But we also ordered the dual pane windows, fantastic fans in the living room and bedroom, the fireplace, heated tank pads, the 10 cu ft fridge, slide toppers, the black out roller blinds and the 4 pt levelers and the 16gal quick recovery water heater and the thomas payne dual recliner couch.

We have done our fair share of customizations (composting toilet, swapped out to 6 x 6volt golf cart batteries, inverter install, solar charger, solar panels installed, hard wired surge guard as well as moving the couch to where the two recliners go, removing the recliners and putting a desk where the couch normally goes.

The only issues we have had have been minor.
1.) We don't have the W/D but it is plumbed for that and the plumbing developed a leak. The dealer re-did all of the plumbing and put an extra valve in line so we could turn the valve and not even have any water in those lines.

2.) The ceiling fan in the bathroom had a very small leak one day after a heavy rain due to it not being 100% fully caulked properly around the flange. I re-sealed it myself, no damage.

3.) The brackets for the stove top lid broke (very cheaply made but that is the mfg of the stove's fault not Northwood).

4.) Springs broke in one of the roller shades and it won't roll up (working on getting replacements now but again that is a third party piece of equipment and not something Northwood built).

As someone full timing in an AF I would be happy to answer any questions at all about their rigs.

Not sure if that helps you at all, but wanted to give you some real world feedback from someone that has been living in one for the last 9 months.
cootersotg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 10:03 AM   #20

Glad to hear your review Cottersotg!!! We also ordered our 29 5K, will be delivered 1st of April or so. We wanted the queen bed too. We removed the sky light in the bedroom, we go to sleep in bed--no need to watch the stars! or we will make our own Just one more place for the hail to hit :( We had them remove the carpet on the door side in living room. That is just too hard to keep clean. Sounds like the same mods you made however we are keeping the standard windows.
Old 02-02-2016, 12:50 PM   #21

cootersotg, how do you think a 3500 srw would handle your 5er?
Old 02-02-2016, 07:30 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by ankie3467 View Post
We removed the sky light in the bedroom, we go to sleep in bed--no need to watch the stars! or we will make our own Just one more place for the hail to hit :(
Good idea, I kind of wish we thought of that. We never open it so it is kind of pointless and it was another thing to design around with our solar install.
Old 02-02-2016, 07:51 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK49er View Post
cootersotg, how do you think a 3500 srw would handle your 5er?
This particular AF is pretty heavy. The way ours came from the factory was about 12,500 lbs but is rated at 16k and that is one of the reasons we picked this rig because as full timers we wanted that 3500lbs of carry capacity.

We've maxed ours out. So if you are running it at the full 16k you are probably pushing the limits of what you would want to do with a SRW (even with airbags).

With a rig this heavy you might be fine going down the road, but I would hate to think about what a blowout would be like. That is part of why we went with a DRW, as full timers who move every 5 - 10 days I kind of figured that we are on the road a lot and thus our odds of having a blow out are more significant.

If I was just using this for a few vacations a year, wasn't maxing the weight and not putting a ton of miles on it I might consider a SRW but the way we travel I am definitely more comfy with the DRW.
Old 02-02-2016, 09:06 PM   #24

Thank-you cootersotg. We are looking at that 5er for FT and trying to figure out what TV to get. This is just the start of our search.
Old 02-02-2016, 10:57 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK49er View Post
Thank-you cootersotg. We are looking at that 5er for FT and trying to figure out what TV to get. This is just the start of our search.
Good luck with your search on both truck and 5er!!
Old 03-07-2016, 01:46 PM   #26

They are BOTH made in the same town, by the same owners about 5 miles apart.....
Old 03-07-2016, 03:25 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadztoy View Post
They are BOTH made in the same town, by the same owners about 5 miles apart.....

..are not the same trailer ..nor quality lever as high as AF..
Old 03-07-2016, 06:30 PM   #28

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by grassy View Post
..are not the same trailer ..nor quality lever as high as AF..
I think the levers are the same quality

what do you base your statement on?

Rick

Tags
door