Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Reply
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 03-07-2016, 07:51 PM   #29
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 447
who knows, I could be wrong..maybe they will be the flagship of the Northwood line..time will tell...it is interesting...they don't seem to be considered for the northwood rv owners association....odd..
__________________

__________________
2010 Northwood Arctic Fox 29-5T
grassy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-07-2016, 08:04 PM   #30
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 2,203
I'm still not sure what the purpose is to even have ORV. Yes they make great trailers, but if in fact they're part of NW, then why didn't NW just start a new line, like they did with the Fox Mountain?
I'm not a business person so I'm not sure of the business advantages of branching off to start a new company.
__________________

__________________
Cumminsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 08:12 PM   #31
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 342
I've been in a couple of the Arctic Fox 27-5L and 29-5T units and a small Mountain fox 235RLS. Not impressed at all with the floor plans. Well built units. I looked at a big unit they had 35-5Z which was nice but almost 80K list and 16K lbs. I am interested in looking at the Mountain Fox 325RKS but wager a dime to a doughnut the bedroom won't suit my 6'6" frame. I haven't seen any Glacier Peak units yet but all their bedrooms do not have slide out beds and I haven't seem a 5'er yet where that configuration works for me. I could be interested in the 29-5T but for that price I'd expect some inside storage.
__________________
Bob1340 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 11:26 PM   #32
Senior Member
 
RussOnTheRoad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 481
Quote:
Originally Posted by krf9113 View Post
Hi, I'm looking at both of these rigs that are approximately 30 feet in length. I would appreciate any input or comments regarding these two RV's.
Thank you
My search for a quality fiver brought me to the Glacier Peak and Arctic Fox. When I realized that all of the Glacier Peak floor plans put the toilet in the same space as the shower I ruled them out. I do not want to be sitting on the can while somebody else is in the shower or visa versa.

I'm still considering the Arctic Fox, however, in particular the 29-5t. They used to have the toilet next to the shower but in 2013 they moved the toilet across the hall into its own room. The 27-5L is too small for me. It would be great for short trips but I'm looking for something I can use full time. Plus it has that same issue with toilet/shower placement. The others larger than the 29-5t are larger than I'd like and place greater limitations on where I can go. They might be more than I need.

There have been some posts where the authors have equated build quality with the weight of the units. I once believed that myself, but now I'm not so sure. I think that greater weight may in fact indicate better materials such as plywood instead of luan, but better materials doesn't by itself indicate better build quality. I think that's half of it, the other half being how well things are actually assembled. You can do a sloppy job of assembling quality materials just as easily as you can with lower quality materials. For example, are tap holes carefully drilled for screws or are they carelessly located or driven into the wood thereby increasing the chances of splitting it? When countersink screws are used have countersunk tap holes been drilled? Is glue used during assembly where wood surfaces are attached. In other words, is the workmanship up to snuff?

I plan to ask Arctic Fox about their assembly methods when I have enough questions to ask. I also plan to spend an hour or two looking at a 29-5t indie, on top and underneath, in every nook and cranny I can access in an effort to get a feel for the workmanship.

There is a tricky aspect to workmanship, however. While the materials used may be the same from one 29-5t to the next, there is no guarantee the workmanship will be. One unit may be assembled by newbies or slobs and another by the most experienced and careful craftsmen. When it comes to workmanship it may be more of a crapshoot than materials.


AF makes certain statements in their videos and literature. For example, that they have an "independently certified offroad chassis using aerospace interference grid technology". Sounds very impressive, but what exactly does all that mean? Certified for what, to what standards and are there any conclusions you can safely reach knowing that or is it just marketing hype? What value is it really? I don't know, but I intend to find out. I'm not trying to pick on Arctic Fox here. After all, they are at the head of the pack in my search for a fiver. I just want to know more about the product. The more times I watch their videos, the more questions they raise. It would be the same with any company, I expect.

HTH.
__________________
RussOnTheRoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 11:46 PM   #33
Senior Member
 
Rickeoni's Avatar


 
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 1,361
That is why there are so many floor plans. We looked at many manufacturers and it came down to two, AF and ORV. We went with ORV based on our love of the floor plan in such a short unit.

As for the separate commode and shower, we only have one bathroom in our house and could not see the need to have them in separate rooms. Again, the reason for many floor plans.

We are only weekenders and decades away from full time status, so the need for washer dryer prep was not for us. As far as Fox Mountain is concerned, it was a no go from the start as DW did not like.

The one feature that we both wanted in any new RV was the ability to use the entire rig with all slides in.

Good luck in your search.

Rick
__________________
2008 F450, 2016 Outdoors RV Glacier Peak 26 RKS

Tried being normal once, worst 2 minutes of my life!
Rickeoni is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 01:04 AM   #34
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 342
Nash, who owns Northwood, bought out a fleetwood plant next to the Northwood plant. That's what started ORV. So to say they are different companies is true. But they are associated. I really like the bigger 5th wheel but there is no way I can maneuver in the bedroom. Closest dealer is 140 miles away but me thinks it's a wasted trip. I make go look at the TT's they sell.
__________________
Bob1340 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 07:56 AM   #35
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Tri-Cities
Posts: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickeoni View Post
I think the levers are the same quality

what do you base your statement on?

Rick
Take the plant tours IN BOTH PLANTS! The frames come off the same lines. I think you'll be impressed. The new Glacier Peak 5th, is among the finest made.

The Nash's build one of the best quality units in the industry.
__________________
dadztoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 08:33 AM   #36
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 447
Quote:
Originally Posted by RussOnTheRoad View Post
My search for a quality fiver brought me to the Glacier Peak and Arctic Fox. When I realized that all of the Glacier Peak floor plans put the toilet in the same space as the shower I ruled them out. I do not want to be sitting on the can while somebody else is in the shower or visa versa.

I'm still considering the Arctic Fox, however, in particular the 29-5t. They used to have the toilet next to the shower but in 2013 they moved the toilet across the hall into its own room. The 27-5L is too small for me. It would be great for short trips but I'm looking for something I can use full time. Plus it has that same issue with toilet/shower placement. The others larger than the 29-5t are larger than I'd like and place greater limitations on where I can go. They might be more than I need.

There have been some posts where the authors have equated build quality with the weight of the units. I once believed that myself, but now I'm not so sure. I think that greater weight may in fact indicate better materials such as plywood instead of luan, but better materials doesn't by itself indicate better build quality. I think that's half of it, the other half being how well things are actually assembled. You can do a sloppy job of assembling quality materials just as easily as you can with lower quality materials. For example, are tap holes carefully drilled for screws or are they carelessly located or driven into the wood thereby increasing the chances of splitting it? When countersink screws are used have countersunk tap holes been drilled? Is glue used during assembly where wood surfaces are attached. In other words, is the workmanship up to snuff?

I plan to ask Arctic Fox about their assembly methods when I have enough questions to ask. I also plan to spend an hour or two looking at a 29-5t indie, on top and underneath, in every nook and cranny I can access in an effort to get a feel for the workmanship.

There is a tricky aspect to workmanship, however. While the materials used may be the same from one 29-5t to the next, there is no guarantee the workmanship will be. One unit may be assembled by newbies or slobs and another by the most experienced and careful craftsmen. When it comes to workmanship it may be more of a crapshoot than materials.


AF makes certain statements in their videos and literature. For example, that they have an "independently certified offroad chassis using aerospace interference grid technology". Sounds very impressive, but what exactly does all that mean? Certified for what, to what standards and are there any conclusions you can safely reach knowing that or is it just marketing hype? What value is it really? I don't know, but I intend to find out. I'm not trying to pick on Arctic Fox here. After all, they are at the head of the pack in my search for a fiver. I just want to know more about the product. The more times I watch their videos, the more questions they raise. It would be the same with any company, I expect.

HTH.
With our conversations, I cannot see you being happy with any RV unit...it is all about expectations. Nothing is perfect. You are looking for perfection and I don't see it even in 1 million $ plus class As.. Too bad.

Good luck in your search..
__________________
2010 Northwood Arctic Fox 29-5T
grassy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 08:38 AM   #37
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Tri-Cities
Posts: 14
Yep!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickeoni View Post
We looked at both, wound up with the Glacier Peak. Same owners, similar construction. We just liked how the glacier peak felt, a little more upscale and a slightly more modern inside.

Rick
We did the same thing. ......for the same reasons!
__________________
dadztoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 10:06 AM   #38
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 2,203
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob1340 View Post
I've been in a couple of the Arctic Fox 27-5L and 29-5T units and a small Mountain fox 235RLS. Not impressed at all with the floor plans. Well built units. I looked at a big unit they had 35-5Z which was nice but almost 80K list and 16K lbs. I am interested in looking at the Mountain Fox 325RKS but wager a dime to a doughnut the bedroom won't suit my 6'6" frame. I haven't seen any Glacier Peak units yet but all their bedrooms do not have slide out beds and I haven't seem a 5'er yet where that configuration works for me. I could be interested in the 29-5T but for that price I'd expect some inside storage.
The 325 bedroom is a clone to the 235. You won't fit. I'm 5'6" and at the front my heads almost touching. Plus you wont be able to sit on the toilet without banging your head on the forward wall.
Not sure why you are looking at the 35-5Z, your truck is not big enough.
You also won't like the GP bedrooms either. Problem mid profile 5th wheel bedrooms is that the floor around the bed is raised about 6". So you'll be stepping up even more.
IMO you need to stop looking at NW 5th wheels since you don't like the 27-5L and the rest are too heavy for your 3/4 ton truck.
ORV doesn't have any 5th wheel bedrooms that will work either.
A TT is your best bet.
__________________
Cumminsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 10:17 AM   #39
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 2,203
RussOnTheRoad
The reason NW weighs more than others is because they're built with heavier materials. Go into other brands and grab an end wall that's not connected to a counter or such and pull on it. It won't move. Now walk into any their brand and try the same thing. I guaranty that 8-10 times the other brands wall will wiggle. NW puts stiffener bracing throughout their trailers. Lots of wood backing in the aluminum studs for support. Extra gussets welded on the frame. Shocks are added. Dual pane windows are standard on the Silver Fox models. All that adds more weight. Look at the holding tank sizes they have. You can't have large holding tanks without having enough support for them. Again added weight.
You can go look at lighter brands but they won't be as solidly built.
Will NW have some problems? Yes they all do. It's a by product of RVs. NO brand is immune to issues. And if you're thinking you'll find the perfect RV then you're in for a big surprise.
Are NW trailers the best? Heck no but they at least are trying to be the best. JMO after owing one is that they don't skimp in construction areas that others do.
Do they put some cheap junk in them? Yes. But again that's a by product of what's available to MFGs.
I would put ORV in the same league as NW.
I've been to enough RV shows and looked at all the other brands. Most are a bit more blingy than NW. But all you have to do is open a drawer and look at the thin piece of wood that the drawer front is attached to and that gives you an indicator of how they're building the unit. If they're cuttting corners there then where else are they cutting corners?
__________________
Cumminsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 11:41 AM   #40
Senior Member
 
Rickeoni's Avatar


 
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 1,361
Quote:
Originally Posted by dadztoy View Post
We did the same thing. ......for the same reasons!
What model did you get?
__________________
2008 F450, 2016 Outdoors RV Glacier Peak 26 RKS

Tried being normal once, worst 2 minutes of my life!
Rickeoni is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 12:27 PM   #41
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Always changing
Posts: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cumminsfan View Post
I'm still not sure what the purpose is to even have ORV. Yes they make great trailers, but if in fact they're part of NW, then why didn't NW just start a new line, like they did with the Fox Mountain?
I'm not a business person so I'm not sure of the business advantages of branching off to start a new company.
My understanding is that it is not the same company. My understanding is that Northwood does not own ORV, rather ORV is owned by the same people that own Northwood.

So they are completely different companies under different management just the same ownership.
__________________
Me and the wife and the dog
2001 Dodge Ram 3500 DRW
2015 Arctic Fox 29-5K 5th Wheel
cootersotg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 12:54 PM   #42
Senior Member
 
Rickeoni's Avatar


 
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 1,361
Quote:
Originally Posted by cootersotg View Post
My understanding is that it is not the same company. My understanding is that Northwood does not own ORV, rather ORV is owned by the same people that own Northwood.

So they are completely different companies under different management just the same ownership.
They have two different assembly lines, but share the plant where the frames are made. So you are right not the same company, but siblings under the skin. More akin to Chevy/GMC.

If you look at both units carefully you will see many simularities. IMHO the major difference is in the intended useage, ORV is set up with smaller, more luxurious features and are aimed at the person who likes to go camping frequently but still has a S&B home. AF units are taller, wider and are geared toward more full time living with more interior storage and WD hookups...

Both are well designed units with great constuction materials and are at the top of their class in their price range. Will they have problems, of course they will, try towing your house down the freewat ay 60 MPH and see how long it lasts.

The difference is in the customer service after you purchase. By reading some of the posts here on how various manufacturers treat clients as if they don't exist and then comparing how responsive the ORV/AF siblings are, I am amazed at the arrogance of some.

I have had 3 issues with my unit and they have taken some time to repair, but all was done with direct contact with several individuals from ORV, with one reponse taking less than five minutes from the time I sent the email, with a phone call from the manufacturer.
__________________

__________________
2008 F450, 2016 Outdoors RV Glacier Peak 26 RKS

Tried being normal once, worst 2 minutes of my life!
Rickeoni is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
door



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Thoughts on Arctic Fox 27 5 edlapointe 5th Wheel Discussion 70 12-07-2017 09:59 PM
Glacier Peak F27BHS opinion jtbuilds Outdoors RV Owner's Forum 7 11-04-2015 07:29 AM
First 7 months with 2015 Glacier Peak PRT Outdoors RV Owner's Forum 9 10-09-2015 06:07 PM
NASH Arctic Fox Owners Forum John.W Outdoors RV Owner's Forum 24 10-07-2015 10:10 PM
From 5th wheel to Navion IQ ajlcal Class C Motorhome Discussions 4 02-18-2014 08:45 PM

» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:47 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.