Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-08-2016, 12:56 PM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cumminsfan View Post
RussOnTheRoad
The reason NW weighs more than others is because they're built with heavier materials. Go into other brands and grab an end wall that's not connected to a counter or such and pull on it. It won't move. Now walk into any their brand and try the same thing. I guaranty that 8-10 times the other brands wall will wiggle. NW puts stiffener bracing throughout their trailers. Lots of wood backing in the aluminum studs for support. Extra gussets welded on the frame. Shocks are added. Dual pane windows are standard on the Silver Fox models. All that adds more weight. Look at the holding tank sizes they have. You can't have large holding tanks without having enough support for them. Again added weight.
You can go look at lighter brands but they won't be as solidly built.
Will NW have some problems? Yes they all do. It's a by product of RVs. NO brand is immune to issues. And if you're thinking you'll find the perfect RV then you're in for a big surprise.
Are NW trailers the best? Heck no but they at least are trying to be the best. JMO after owing one is that they don't skimp in construction areas that others do.
Do they put some cheap junk in them? Yes. But again that's a by product of what's available to MFGs.
I would put ORV in the same league as NW.
I've been to enough RV shows and looked at all the other brands. Most are a bit more blingy than NW. But all you have to do is open a drawer and look at the thin piece of wood that the drawer front is attached to and that gives you an indicator of how they're building the unit. If they're cuttting corners there then where else are they cutting corners?
Hey, I've got no argument about the materials used. Never said anything to that effect. AF is at the top of my list in terms of rigs I'm considering.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-08-2016, 01:01 PM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by grassy View Post
With our conversations, I cannot see you being happy with any RV unit...it is all about expectations. Nothing is perfect. You are looking for perfection and I don't see it even in 1 million $ plus class As.. Too bad.

Good luck in your search..
I'll never be totally happy with any rig. I don't expect to be, but I won't be kicking myself for failing to scrutinize the rig I purchase after the fact. Is anybody ever completely happy with their rig? I haven't met that person yet.

Now, back to the discussion at hand: Arctic Fox vs. Glacier peak...

Old 03-08-2016, 01:15 PM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by RussOnTheRoad View Post
I'll never be totally happy with any rig. I don't expect to be, but I won't be kicking myself for failing to scrutinize the rig I purchase after the fact. Is anybody ever completely happy with their rig? I haven't met that person yet.

Now, back to the discussion at hand: Arctic Fox vs. Glacier peak...
Good points. I didn't mean to sound demeaning. Your post just came across as if you were looking for the perfect RV. I totally agree with your position as you explained. I've only owned 3 trailers. However I understand where you're coming from as far as wanting to know all you can. If and when we get our next RV I suppose I'll be like you and want to know all there is about the ones I'm interested in. And so far only NW and ORV seem to offer the most bang for the buck. I'm a member of the NROA and for the most part it's deader than a door nail when it comes to problems with trailers. Yes there's the small stuff like all other brands have but very rarely larger issues where owners are leaving their trailers at dealers lots for weeks at a time because they can't find the problem or fix the problem.
Another thing I've learned over the years is that no two RVs are alike. And if I find the model I want on a lot and it doesn't meet my expectations I'll move to another unit or another dealer for that matter. If I end up ordering one then I guess I'll have to either accept it and ask the dealer to fix any issue or if possible decline and look elsewhere.
Good luck in your search.
Old 03-08-2016, 02:49 PM   #46

Quote:
Good points. I didn't mean to sound demeaning. Your post just came across as if you were looking for the perfect RV. I totally agree with your position as you explained. I've only owned 3 trailers. However I understand where you're coming from as far as wanting to know all you can. If and when we get our next RV I suppose I'll be like you and want to know all there is about the ones I'm interested in. And so far only NW and ORV seem to offer the most bang for the buck. I'm a member of the NROA and for the most part it's deader than a door nail when it comes to problems with trailers. Yes, there's the small stuff like all other brands have but very rarely larger issues where owners are leaving their trailers at dealers lots for weeks at a time because they can't find the problem or fix the problem.
Another thing I've learned over the years is that no two RVs are alike. And if I find the model I want on a lot and it doesn't meet my expectations I'll move to another unit or another dealer for that matter. If I end up ordering one then I guess I'll have to either accept it and ask the dealer to fix any issue or if possible decline and look elsewhere.
Good luck in your search.
Hahah. I am looking for the perfect RV, but I don't ever expect to find it. Meanwhile, along the way, I hope to learn about which are better and which are not. My thinking is completely in line with yours that Arctic Fox and Glacier Peak seem to offer the biggest bang for the buck and I previously indicated they were at the top of my list.

I too have seen mostly positive comments about Arctic Fox and Glacier Peak, but I have seen negative critiques as well. Check under Northwood Manufacturing at pissedconsumer if you want to see some.

Whether or not the Northwood Owners Association is "deader than a door nail when it comes to problems" as you suggest is somewhat of a subjective conclusion, don't you think? I don't mean to pick a fight but it is what it is. I don't know by what criteria you reach that conclusion. I'm not a member there, but as a guest I was able to view the Troubleshooting page headlines of the site and it seemed that there were some 70 plus posts just today. Is that a lot or a little? I don't know and I can't say how valuable the posts in that section might or might not be in terms of trying to assess product quality. I have just requested membership there and once I have it I will see what more I can learn about Northwood products. I look forward to that.

Again, to all readers, it is not my intention to badmouth Northwood--they seem to be amongst the better made rigs from what I've seen and heard so far, but as we all look to determining product quality don't we owe it to ourselves to look at the good and bad things people have to say, to carefully scrutinize those remarks as well as the advertising clams made by Northwood? I think we do.
Old 03-08-2016, 03:16 PM   #47

But only to a certain point...remember, it is usually only the happy folks that post...the happy ones generally don't....but I think you are going to have a very hard time finding something that will meet your standards at your price point. It is about expectations.

It sounds also like you haven't owned other rigs before so this is your first ?

You can find bad with anything but if you are a glass half empty person.....
Old 03-08-2016, 03:33 PM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by grassy View Post
But only to a certain point...remember, it is usually only the happy folks that post...the happy ones generally don't....but I think you are going to have a very hard time finding something that will meet your standards at your price point. It is about expectations.

It sounds also like you haven't owned other rigs before so this is your first ?

You can find bad with anything but if you are a glass half empty person.....
Is there a typo in your post? I think in one spot you wrote happy and meant to write unhappy.

It won't be hard for me to find a rig made to my standards. It will be impossible! LOL! I expect that no rig I buy will be 100% satisfactory. Those are my expectations and they are realistic.

I own a rig now and lived in it full-time for 18 months. I've gotten pretty familiar with how it was put together. I have seen some pretty haphazard workmanship and cheap materials so almost anything should look good by comparison. LOL.

Am I a glass half empty person? The fact is, if a glass is half empty it's also half full That's the kind of person I am. But can we stop talking about personal things, whether I'm too critical or not critical enough, or if my expectations are too high or too low? I'm not asking people for character evaluations and they don't belong here. Aren't we supposed to be discussing rig quality? Can we stick to that, please?
Old 03-08-2016, 04:04 PM   #49

I think buying a 5er is just like buying an automobile, you want a unit that was made on Wednesday. Monday and Friday production quality is not
100 % as compared to Wednesday when workers are in full swing with their job. Monday they're coming off a weekend and Friday they're thinking about the next two days off. :>) Aside from that all units are made mostly by hand crafting and very little automation which then puts the finished product in the hands of craftsman. The upper end RV's probably have more rigid inspection and better quality control. Put another way upper end units probably have a higher rejection rate than cheaper RV's before they are shipped. I've never been to an RV factory ,just watched a bunch of factory production videos on utube. But from what I've seen "speed" is top priority.
Some materials used on top end units are also found on high volume low end units, whether it's plumbing, electrical ,hvac ,etc. Not much different than in the auto industry ,same parts used on a chevy are used on a caddy. Caddy's cost more because they have more creature features. And things to fail, Ha!.
RV's we see at shows are most likely hand selected to represent the best quality.
When all is said and done we get what we pay for. If we start to customize our purchase the cost goes up. When we buy an upper end unit some of those upgrades are included in the initial cost.
As consumers we have to evaluate features, benefits and cost and hope we make the correct decision. Frustrating huh?

CLIFF
Old 03-08-2016, 06:22 PM   #50

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by clifford j View Post
RV's we see at shows are most likely hand selected to represent the best quality.

CLIFF
Not the shows that I have ever attended, the shows are more a place to sell than to show. Dealers are the one that sponsor the shows not the manufacturers, it might be different at some of the big shows.

From my experiences in the automotive world there are very few gearheads that deal in front facing positions, especially sales people. I would assume that the RV business is similar, in that very few are active RVers.

Tried being normal once, worst 2 minutes of my life!
Rickeoni is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 10:34 PM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by krf9113 View Post
Hi, I'm looking at both of these rigs that are approximately 30 feet in length. I would appreciate any input or comments regarding these two RV's.
Thank you
Since I too am considering an Arctic Fox I joined the the Northwood RV Owners Association today. I thought there would be a concentration of Arctic Fox owners there from whom I might glean some "insider" info. (Note that the NROA site is not affiliated with Northwood the company.) I've not been disappointed. I'm learning about things only an Arctic Fox owner could possibly know, good an bad alike. I recommend the experience.
Old 03-09-2016, 08:06 AM   #52

Quote:
The 325 bedroom is a clone to the 235. You won't fit.
I pretty much figured that.

Quote:
Not sure why you are looking at the 35-5Z, your truck is not big enough.
LOL, ya think! I was at an RV show. That trailer is big and heavy and needs a big truck.

Quote:
You also won't like the GP bedrooms either. Problem mid profile 5th wheel bedrooms is that the floor around the bed is raised about 6". So you'll be stepping up even more.
IMO you need to stop looking at NW 5th wheels since you don't like the 27-5L and the rest are too heavy for your 3/4 ton truck
I am not bothering with the drive to look at the GP 5th wheels. I may want to look at a Blackstone TT as they appear nice but so did some of the AF TT's and I was sadly disappointed in them. Grand Design has a number of very nice 5'ers my truck can pull nicely I have looked at. They also have the nicest TT I have seen so far in the 313RLS.
Old 03-09-2016, 03:10 PM   #53

JMO of course but we prefer the interiors of the ORV units more. Not so much for the floor plan but because it seems like NW is caught in a time warp. They've used the same vinyl flooring and interior color choices for the last 3-4 years as far as I can tell. While it's not bad, it's just not very appealing. The interior colors in ORVs upper lines are nicer in our opinion as well. I also like that ORV is including dual pane windows as OEM in all but the Blackrock line.
You also get more bang for the buck with TTs. We really like our 5th wheel, but when it comes time to upgrade I think we'll be going back to a TT. ORVs exterior is more appealing as well. They also have larger storage openings. That's always been one of my dislikes of TTs. Too hard to make good use of the front storage compartment.
Old 03-10-2016, 11:56 AM   #54

Outdoors Rv units are designed for taking the unit off road with higher clearances under the chassis.
Old 03-11-2016, 09:42 AM   #55

Yep...........

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickeoni View Post
What model did you get?
We went with the F28RKS............
Old 03-11-2016, 09:48 AM   #56

AGREED............

Quote:
Originally Posted by dschamp View Post
I agree with TrailDust. We love the 27-5l. It might not be as flashy as other similar units, but it is very solid, well designed and nicely appointed. Heavy when compared to other units of similar length is a testament to its build quality. I believe the 27-5l is actually 29.5 feet in length and is Northwood's most popular 5th wheel model.

We did a lot of research, including spending many hours at RV shows, before deciding on the Artic Fox. Couldn't be happier with our decision.

Good luck with your decision. I think you'll be happy with either coach you're considering.
If you get the chance to go down to La Grand, take the tours. If I said "the same, but different"????? The Nash family owns both plants, and yes, they are on different sides of town, that would be a true statement. The frames for BOTH, are made in the same plant. They both have small things that make each just that much different. Our choice was the GP, but both are the best we were able to find, by far!
NOW.........camping anyone?

Tags
door