Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-11-2016, 10:13 AM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmoyer View Post
Outdoors Rv units are designed for taking the unit off road with higher clearances under the chassis.
I disagree with this. It's more a marketing statement than real world statement.
Our prior TT and our current 5th wheel (Both on 15" tires) sat the same height off the ground. All trailers come with either 14", 15" or 16" tires.
Most all come with leaf springs. The only difference is the spring hangers and where the spring eyes are located in relation to the bottom of the frame.
Northwood or ORV may or may not have the spring eyes in a different spot. But after owning a Heartland TT with 15" tires and our current FM with 15" tires I see no difference in ground clearance.
Only difference would be if one trailer had 14" tires and the other one had 16" tires. But MFG don't put 16" tires on for ground clearance. They put them on for load carrying ability.
Our FM has the Off Road capability sticker but ironically doesn't come with shocks.
It's just a marketing ploy to help create a persona that you can have a rugged Northwest experience. None off these trailers are really made to go off road. Running down a gravel road is not really going off road. If your driving 25-40+ mph down a gravel road then you're not really off-roading.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-11-2016, 10:39 AM   #58

Ford Super Duty Owner
I agree with you. Typically off road capacity is a function of ground clearance (which really means total tire height) and spring flex. Bet those are standard hardly-any-travel RV springs. Even if they throw taller tires on there, it really doesn't change much.

Old 03-11-2016, 11:12 AM   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmoyer View Post
Outdoors Rv units are designed for taking the unit off road with higher clearances under the chassis.
I'm not disagreeing, but based on at least one reply to your post there seems to be some question about this. I've just written to Northwood to ask what they mean when they say "off-road chassis". Let's see what they say.

Northwood says their Arctic Fox chassis are independently certified using aerospace inference grid technology. That's a mouthful, huh? I also asked them what they mean by "certified" as well as for an explanation the purpose of using interference grid technology in the certification process. Let's see what they say about this too.
Old 03-11-2016, 12:20 PM   #60

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by dadztoy View Post
We went with the F28RKS............
You should come over to the owners forum for Outdoors RV

Tried being normal once, worst 2 minutes of my life!
Rickeoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2016, 03:05 PM   #61

@ Russ ontheroad yes that was a mouthful. Looking forward to seeing what "Certified" means and how it relates to RV benifits.

CLIFF
Old 03-11-2016, 05:38 PM   #62

My guess is that they have a certified welding inspector checking out each trailer frame. The aerospace hyperbole is just that hype like the Off Road jargon.
I'm as big a fan of NW as any other owner, but I'm not gullible.
Sorta like an F150 towing 12,200lbs. If I bought one I'd certainly know that's not a reachable rating after loading up the truck. Whatever. I know when there's hype or BS and when there's a method to the madness. I firmly believe that NW builds about as solid a frame as they can in their price point. I've seen/owned what Lippert puts out for the Indiana MFGs. No thanks.
Northwood can spin it however they want but really it's just a solid in house built frame with shocks on some models. It's no double stack tube frame like a DRV Mobile Suites, but it's not costing over $100,000 either.
Old 03-11-2016, 06:27 PM   #63

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Take it for what is worth. These are the people the Northwood is referring to.

Pacific West Associates in casper wy

Old 03-11-2016, 08:02 PM   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickeoni View Post
Take it for what is worth. These are the people the Northwood is referring to.

Pacific West Associates in casper wy
What is it worth? Hahah. I don't think that's worth much. LOL. If you visit the site you can spend an hour there and on sites they link to trying to figure out what what it is that Northwood wants you to understand when they say "certified using aerospace inference grid technology" and come away without an answer.
Old 03-11-2016, 08:07 PM   #65

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cumminsfan View Post
My guess is that they have a certified welding inspector checking out each trailer frame...
No, that's not it at all. I asked Northwood about this and was told "...the initial design of the chassis is what is certified by PWA, not each individual chassis."

I'm still waiting to learn what exactly is certified and what conclusions can been drawn based on that certification. I'm waiting to hear from Northwood about this.
Old 03-11-2016, 08:36 PM   #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by clifford j View Post
@ Russ ontheroad yes that was a mouthful. Looking forward to seeing what "Certified" means and how it relates to RV benifits.

CLIFF
I'm pursuing this and other things with Northwood. My first inquiry, one that I directed to a tech/service person, was replied to by a sales manager. He directed me to the company that does the certification but there is nothing on their site I could find that answers the question about what Northwood means when it says their chassis are certified.

In my judgment I received a lazy non-answer from someone who did not have an answer, and rather than finding out--something that would have educated both of us--he passed me off to the certification company hoping that I would find the answer there.

I wrote back explaining I wasn't able to answer my original question by visiting the certification company site, that I in fact had visited their site before inquiring with Northwood, and I asked for an explanation in the sales manager's own words. He wrote back to say he's handing my inquiry off to somebody else. This would seem to support the notion that he just doesn't know the answer! I'm waiting to hear back.

So, far--and none of this is meant to denigrate the product in any way--in my opinion Northwood has bungled its handling of my inquiry. I have many more questions for them too!

I suspect that the certification simply means the chassis design, materials and construction methodology meet some standard that would tend to indicate a well made chassis. That's my guess, but I don't want to presume anything. I want to hear from Northwood exactly what it is that they mean. They make a statement in their literature and videos and they should be able to easily explain what they mean. Ya think?
Old 03-11-2016, 08:59 PM   #67

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RussOnTheRoad View Post
What is it worth? Hahah. I don't think that's worth much. LOL. If you visit the site you can spend an hour there and on sites they link to trying to figure out what what it is that Northwood wants you to understand when they say "certified using aerospace inference grid technology" and come away without an answer.

Like I said "what it's worth"

Buy you have it wrong it is "Aerospace interface grid design analysis"

I think they are designing RVs capable of supersonic speeds

Current grid-generation strategies and future requirements in hypersonic vehicle design, analysis and testing

I think your questions should be aimed at whom ever wrote the ad copy.

For what it's worth!

Old 03-11-2016, 09:03 PM   #68

Quote:
Like I said "what it's worth"

Buy you have it wrong it is "Aerospace interface grid design analysis"

I think they are designing RVs capable of supersonic speeds

Current grid-generation strategies and future requirements in hypersonic vehicle design, analysis and testing

I think your questions should be aimed at whom ever wrote the ad copy.

For what it's worth!
And like I said it ain't worth nothing, not without an explanation. Hahah.

I looked at the link but it's too scientific for me. I was pretty much lost after the first sentence to two: "Recent advances in computational power enable computational fluid dynamic modeling of increasingly complex configurations. A review of grid-generation methodologies implemented in support of the computational work performed for the X-38 (Experimental Crew Return Vehicle) and X-33 hypersonic vehicles are presented." Hahah.

I don't know who wrote the ad copy and it's Northwood that's responsible for publishing it. Agreed? That's why I asked them. They should understand and be able to explain the claims they make. Right?

Oh and thanks for the correction about the terminology: interface vs. interference. I got the term "interference" from Northwood. That's the word they use in their promo video.
Old 03-11-2016, 09:28 PM   #69

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RussOnTheRoad View Post
And like I said it ain't worth nothing, not without an explanation. Hahah. Thanks for the link! I look forward to checking it out.

I don't know who wrote the ad copy and it's Northwood that's responsible for publishing it. Agreed? That's why I asked them. They should understand and be able to explain the claims they make. Right?
Very few of the people who are in upper snack bracket know anything about product they are pushing. The guys in charge might be running a bread factory one day, get the golden parachute and resurface tomorrow in the garbage recycling sector. I highly doubt the the majority of RV mucky mucks can even spell RV.

I think the trick is to find that middle managment team that really cares.

My $0.02 worth.

Old 03-11-2016, 09:36 PM   #70

Quote:
Very few of the people who are in upper snack bracket know anything about product they are pushing. The guys in charge might be running a bread factory one day, get the golden parachute and resurface tomorrow in the garbage recycling sector. I highly doubt the the majority of RV mucky mucks can even spell RV.

I think the trick is to find that middle managment team that really cares.

My $0.02 worth.
Stay tuned... I'll let you know what I learn... and what you wrote was worth at least a nickel. LOL. Thanks.

Tags
door