Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-30-2016, 07:35 PM   #85

I wish GP made a bed slide instead of just a closet slide. Probably hard to do though given the GP dimensions.
The other thing that I'm on the fence about with GP is that the holding tank valves are located in the front basement storage area. That limits what you can put in the very front. I suppose you can work around it.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-30-2016, 09:33 PM   #86

I think you'll see them address those issues in the future because frankly they are points of contention with many potential buyers. Being much smaller than the big guys they are a little slower than the big guys to react to current designs........ but on the flip side when you're selling just about all you can produce sometimes it makes no sense to increase your overhead for design trends..... after all you can still use most of their models without opening the slides to gain access to the refrigerator or the beds which in many newer multiple slide configurations is impossible. They know their market but I'd say the majority of their buyers aren't asphalt only campers and with many larger units that simply isn't the case. You'll find their units in country where many rigs simply won't go nor would the owners contemplate taking their expensive rigs, which nobody would ever question.

Many dealers who sell new units don't have new or used used models in some floorplans on their lots inventory for months at a time.......so they must be doing something right in building them and based on the repeat business they enjoy I'd say that must be more important than some new bells and whistles to their customer base.

I can tell you those dump valves were a consideration for me too but in the end I still got everything I needed in the unit with room to spare and haven't given it a second thought ....... the bedroom matter is a big selling point for many and I think at some point they'll need to offer that in their line up. If I was buying one for full time use and asphalt only camping it would carry more weight in the equation......... I like the advantages the size offers in not limiting my choices, but for your use that may not meet your needs or buying criteria and we all need to buy what suits us in the end and do enough research to not make a costly mistake. good luck

Old 03-30-2016, 10:19 PM   #87

Skeetsbo: you are right about the different standards that are options for both the G.P. and A.F. The G.P. came with a remote that worked all outside lights and the front landing gear and the rear stabilizers. Also had a fireplace that looked great. The G.P. also had aluminum steps which looks classy. They are very similar in construction and quality. I think they are both upper class and represent good value. The wife and her sister are very happy with each and that whats really matters. Dave-R
Old 03-31-2016, 12:35 AM   #88

Outdoors RV Owners Club
I think you will see a bed slide in the near future, they have 2 new floor plans in their trailer lineup with a bed slide and a second fireplace in the bedroom. The bedroom was almost a deal breaker for the DW, but all the other amenties won us over. Skeetsbo has some good points about using the unit with the slides in.

Rick.

Tried being normal once, worst 2 minutes of my life!
Rickeoni is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 01:06 AM   #89

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cumminsfan View Post
I wish GP made a bed slide instead of just a closet slide. Probably hard to do though given the GP dimensions...
What's the deal with a bed slide? Why does it matter if a bed is in a slide or not?
Old 03-31-2016, 01:18 AM   #90

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RussOnTheRoad View Post
What's the deal with a bed slide? Why does it matter if a bed is in a slide or not?
After owning our unit for almost a year the bedroom configuration has become a non issue. The units with the bed slide are nice eye candy though.

Bed slides usually have a flat floor and appear to be roomier.

Tried being normal once, worst 2 minutes of my life!
Rickeoni is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 08:27 AM   #91

Quote:
Originally Posted by RussOnTheRoad View Post
With the bed in a slide you get a full size closet running width wise. You also get more room at the foot of the bed along with a dresser.
The other problem with the beds in 5th wheels that are running front to back is there's usually a step up at the end of the bed. It takes out already lacking headroom when walking along side the bed.
And depending on how they place the bed sometimes (Not in ORV GPs case) they move it 3-4" to the opposite side of the closet slide.
Biggest turn off for me in GPs is the step up to the bed. We have that now in our current 5th wheel and it's a never again deal. Too bad because there's a lot to like about the GP line.
Old 03-31-2016, 09:47 AM   #92

I was looking at the GP 5'ers last week and none of them had automatic leveling. And it is an option on the AF models. I'd think this would be a big selling point to many. It's no big deal to me, but could be a deal breaker to some.
We love these trailers, but they are built for a fairly specific group. Other than the rather large AF 35Z I think they do not appeal floor plan wise to a lot of folks. The heavier weight is an issue with some as well, but for quality ya got to have some heft.
I wish I could get the following:
The Grand Design Reflection 337 floor plan in a Artic Fox build with the Glacier Peak booth type dinette set up.
Can someone build that for me please?
Old 03-31-2016, 09:52 AM   #93

Ditto with that bedroom on the GP. Just terrible for my 6'6" frame. All their travel trailers are like that as well. Loved everything else. The bedroom ran us off.
But that 7' wide booth dinette is outstanding. I am a huge man and finally a comfortable dinette.
Old 03-31-2016, 09:54 AM   #94

You guys make some good points about the bedroom slide and when we were looking the DW noticed it and commented on it but it was more of an issue for me. I really liked the more room but she kept worrying about the overall size because of our limited rv pad space. I showed her both would fit but after owning a larger toyhauler (Ragen) that we loved she worried about the length. Funny how they watch us and know what bugs us in many circumstances and factor that into the equation. She also knew we would take our unit places where it could be tight because of our interests so the lower profile unit won out in the end. Our unit pulls like a dream and handles extremely well but the step in the bedroom actually makes it easier to tie your shoes! In addition being vertically challenged we don't have to worry about the height.

So in the end we all adapt but a flat floor would be nicer no question about it. The increased storage only means we'll fill it with more stuff we just haul around and believe me it's more than ample for two but a larger family may need more. When we were younger we had an Alpenlite 25+2 that was a low profile unit and it was light and was a dream to pull and park and served us well and we had many great trips in that unit.. This unit has all the attributes of that unit plus many others that make us more comfortable and has already worked on some extended stay trips. Build wise it's certainly the equal of both Alpenlites & the Ragen, and Arctic Foxes we had and comfort wise it's a notch above all so there's little not to like in the big picture and given the fact it's got solar it should serve us well.

Bob I can see where it would be an issue for you and the Grand Design is a great product in fact it was on our short list......... but our previous experience with the Northwood and ORV family won in the end.
Old 04-13-2016, 02:08 PM   #95

Outdoors RV Owners Club
I am 6'5 and recently purchased a ORV GP F28RKS.

I don't find the height to be an issue for me in the bedrooms. I thought that they shower would be a tight fit but so far it has been quite pleasurable to use.

Overall I choose this based on the fit and finish of the RV. It is very well built things work really well. The tank-less water heater is really nice and puts out very hot water very fast. Like any RV there are a few things that didn't work out of the gate but it was really easy to get it fixed by the dealer under warranty.

I have taken it well into the backwoods down some narrow, windy, and bumpy roads. Being new to RV'ing I would probably really like to of had an automatic leveling system but other then that I don't think it is missing anything that I would want.

Please note I am not full timing it yet and it is just me. So I find it to have more then ample storage for what I do.
Old 04-14-2016, 12:11 AM   #96

Well, so much for Northwood in our area. Our local dealer, one of three in California, went bankrupt. I guess goofyness was involved.
Old 04-14-2016, 10:46 AM   #97

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob1340 View Post
Well, so much for Northwood in our area. Our local dealer, one of three in California, went bankrupt. I guess goofyness was involved.
Makes you wonder how an RV dealer could go bankrupt when RV sales are setting records. Goofy is right.
Old 12-28-2016, 01:05 AM   #98

We just purchased a Glacier Peak 26CIS. We narrowed down our choices to Glacier Peak, Arctic Fox and Bigfoot. We would have been happy with an Arctic Fox, we just happened on a good deal for a 2016 Glacier Peak. IMO both are quality rigs built for the kind of camping we have done and expect do in the future...high altitude, all season camping; off the beaten path boondocking. We opted for a shorter rig because in doing research more people were wishing they had a shorter unit than wishing for a bigger one. The main complaint was inabiity to get into some cmpsites particularly in forest campgrounds.

Barry and Patti

Tags
door