Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-05-2011, 10:36 AM   #15

Our tripod helps reduce the rocking of the trailer from wind. You may also want to get 2 pairs of the "awning flapper things" use two on each side, keeps you awning from flapping when it is windy outside, about 10 dollars per pair at walmart.
We have camped here in West Texas, New Mexico, and Arizona, and its is windy in the spring time.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-05-2011, 10:47 AM   #16

Winnebago Owners Club
I say go with the kingpin stablizer stand for the fifth wheel nose. I sure makes a difference when it is windy. We also have a locking kingpin lock for when we just stay one night at campground and need to unhook the fifth to go to town for a night out.
We have locks for the dual wheels and deflapper for the awning. All are well worth the cost. Great peace of mind.

If you look around you won't find many fifth'er that don't use the kingpin stand.

Don't let the picture of our rig fool you we also have a 38 foot big horn fifth wheel.

Old 05-05-2011, 11:14 AM   #17
IC2

The best use I've seen for a king pin tripod is to modify it to hold your sat dish. Leg and rear jack stabilizers work soooo much better and aren't ungainly to store in the 5er basement or other storage bin.
Old 05-06-2011, 07:47 PM   #18

I guess everyone has an opinion, mine is that the tripod wasn't worth tripping over when we set up, or storing it in the basement or puckup bed. Hung a sign on it this winter & sold it for $35.
Old 05-06-2011, 08:59 PM   #19

If you look around you won't find many fifth'er that don't use the kingpin stand.

Looks to me in the CGs I stay in, it is the opposite...
Joe
'09 F450--died, replaced with '10--retired
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 09:15 PM   #20
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
Same here. I see very few using a 5th wheel tripod.

Rusty
2014.5 DRV Mobile Suites 38RSSA #6972
Come join us on a TEXAS BOOMERS rally!
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 09:46 PM   #21

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We had a 35' Komfort, the tripod did not make much if any differance. How ever it did prevent me from useing the front enclosure. We had full vinyl skirting. Tried it for a week and then returned.
rgvtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 10:15 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorfinn View Post
We are going fulltime in a 5er soon, and we are making our lists of things we will need as I'm sure you all have. When I started looking at kingpin stands I began wondering if they make any difference... after all the front end is designed strong enough to support and pull the whole trailer, so I don't think our weight will break it nor tip the trailer over.
They are just one of many different options to help reduce the movement of your rig when parked. How much they help and how much they are needed depends on your specific rig, your sensitivity to movement inside the rig and what other methods you use to stabilize it. I agree with the approach of trying to get away without it at first and then add it later if you can not satisfactorily stabilize your rig with other methods. They are a pain to carry and setup.

"If you look around you won't find many fifth'er that don't use the kingpin stand."
I disagree with that observation. In all the many campgrounds I have stayed in, on avg I see about 1 out of 4 fifth wheels using a kingpin tripod. useage is a bit higher in parks where the majority of folks are parked there for months at a time.
Old 05-09-2011, 05:06 PM   #23

Winnebago Owners Club
We have use our kingpin stablizer when we stay for over a week or more in the same park , But only because the fifth is a 38 footer with 4 slides. And I can feel even the slightest movement. give a seasick feeling.
Other that than we use a kingpin lock. That slides over the pin itself and locks in place. Reason for the lock. once unhooked anyone with a fifth wheel hitch can hook up and tow it away.
And for all who will laugh at the lock has ............ never saw someone in distress because while they were out sightseeing, someone came and towed their rig away .
Old 05-28-2011, 09:50 PM   #24

Send a message via AIM to coburncliff Send a message via Yahoo to coburncliff
We didn't use a tripod stand at first. Then the wind blew. Reminded me of my "haze gray and underway" days in the Navy. Added the stand and was a major help to reduce the rocking. I then added skirting and now there is almost no movement at all, even in 50 mph winds. But, I agree try it without first.
coburncliff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 11:19 PM   #25

My 97 Kountryaire 5er came with a built in stabilizer so it is easy to drop down and extend the legs. Makes a world of difference
Old 06-06-2011, 01:02 PM   #26

We have a washer/dryer. Shook the fiver bad on spin cycle. Use tri-pod and no more problem. Bought for $70 at yard sale. Always use when plan to use washer. Otherwise, do not unless long term parking.
ray
Old 06-06-2011, 02:22 PM   #27

Wow, you are one lucky guy!. We too have a washer and a dryer and even with an added set of arm jacks at the very rear of our Carriage and a Bi-Pod, the movement inside when on spin cycle was quite a ride. That's why we went with the permanently mounted stabilizers. Diana

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrray View Post
We have a washer/dryer. Shook the fiver bad on spin cycle. Use tri-pod and no more problem. Bought for $70 at yard sale. Always use when plan to use washer. Otherwise, do not unless long term parking.
ray
2015 1 ton auto single cab 2 wheel drive 3500 Ram Dually. Western Pearl Brown, 410 Aisin Trans, Pace Eds roll top cover. 1996/2015 3axle Carriage, BF Auto Level, TST Tire Pressure Monitoring System, Plug It Right Stabilizers.
Dutch & Diana Irrgang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 11:28 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch & Diana Irrgang View Post
Wow, you are one lucky guy!. We too have a washer and a dryer and even with an added set of arm jacks at the very rear of our Carriage and a Bi-Pod, the movement inside when on spin cycle was quite a ride. That's why we went with the permanently mounted stabilizers. Diana
Just a slight vibration at rear with the tri-pod. Barely noticable. I do put a lot of weight onto the pod. Nearly impossible to manually shake the trailer.
Our washer is installed in a closet directly over the king pin frame.

ray