Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-21-2011, 07:32 AM   #1

Are kingpin stands worth anything?

We are going fulltime in a 5er soon, and we are making our lists of things we will need as I'm sure you all have. When I started looking at kingpin stands I began wondering if they make any difference... after all the front end is designed strong enough to support and pull the whole trailer, so I don't think our weight will break it nor tip the trailer over.

I would like to hear from some seasoned 5er drivers their opinions of the stands... Hype or help?

Hope to run into you all in the great outdoors!
Thorfinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-21-2011, 07:38 AM   #2

Texas Boomers Club
We've owned 5th wheels for 15+ years and have never owned a kingpin tripod. They have nothing to do with strength of the 5th wheel's frame - if your weight in the 5th wheel's front overhand would cause the frame to fail, it would fail under the rigors of towing long before you get to the campsite - that's not a problem. Rather, the kingpin tripod is intended to reduce movement of the 5th wheel when it's set up and supported by its on-board jacks. Some people may be more sensitive to this than we are, but we've never had enough motion when the jacks and chocks are deployed correctly to even consider that we might want/need a kingpin tripod. YMMV, of course.

I'd suggest trying the 5th wheel without the tripod. Then, if you're bothered by any movement, you can always buy one down the road if you so desire.

Rusty
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 07:51 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Mine was worth $30 in my garage sale. Hope the new guy used it more than I did. Maybe helps on some rigs, it did nothing for mine. Save the $$
Twomed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 06:42 PM   #4

I like my King pin stand and use one all the time. What the stand does for me, it keeps my head away from the pin and grease when I am in the front compartment.
I also use the Roto Chucks to prevent the rocking motion that some people complain about.
Jim W.
Old 04-21-2011, 07:03 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
had one, took it back. It was a trouble to set up and it made no difference.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 09:16 PM   #6

On another forum I'm on, a lot of people use the JT Strongarm Jack Stabilizers. Reading the info on them, they make sense, plus they are easy to use. You don't have to take them off & put them back on when you change locations. Here is a link for them Welcome to JT's RV Accessories I'm thinking about getting some for our 5er.

tickranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 08:51 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimcumminsw View Post
I like my King pin stand and use one all the time. What the stand does for me, it keeps my head away from the pin and grease when I am in the front compartment.
I also use the Roto Chucks to prevent the rocking motion that some people complain about.
Jim W.
LOL good to see someone found a use! Can you still use a kingpin lock with it?
Thorfinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 09:16 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorfinn View Post
LOL good to see someone found a use! Can you still use a kingpin lock with it?
My king pin stand allows you to place a Lock in the cup that surrounds the pin. The hasp of the lock sits in the recess of the king pin and prevents the stand from being unscrewed when it is locked.
Jim W.
Old 04-23-2011, 12:34 PM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimcumminsw View Post
My king pin stand allows you to place a Lock in the cup that surrounds the pin. The hasp of the lock sits in the recess of the king pin and prevents the stand from being unscrewed when it is locked.
Jim W.
My tripod worked the same way...and we used the tripod if staying more than two nights. Seemed to reduce excess movement.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 03:56 PM   #10

We started out with a Bi-Pod 14 years ago and it didn't do much. Dutch added arm jacks at the very rear of our 5th wheel several years later and while it helped some, we still have unwanted movement. We've been using our permanently mounted stabilizers for almost 6 years now and it was the best move we've made bar none. Hugs, Di
2015 1 ton auto single cab 2 wheel drive 3500 Ram Dually. Western Pearl Brown, 410 Aisin Trans, Pace Eds roll top cover. 1996/2015 3axle Carriage, BF Auto Level, TST Tire Pressure Monitoring System, Plug It Right Stabilizers.
Dutch & Diana Irrgang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 06:23 PM   #11

Forest River Owners Club
We didn't need one with our first 5th wheel, which had no bedroom slide. We use it all the time on our new one, and it has noticibly reduced rocking.
jimberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 05:29 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorfinn
We are going fulltime in a 5er soon, and we are making our lists of things we will need as I'm sure you all have. When I started looking at kingpin stands I began wondering if they make any difference... after all the front end is designed strong enough to support and pull the whole trailer, so I don't think our weight will break it nor tip the trailer over.

I would like to hear from some seasoned 5er drivers their opinions of the stands... Hype or help?

Hope to run into you all in the great outdoors!
I purchased one for my 5th wheel. The front doesn't rock anymore. I recommend that you buy one, it's well worth it.

Wayne W.
wayneman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 10:08 AM   #13

Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by wayneman View Post
I purchased one for my 5th wheel. The front doesn't rock anymore.
The front of our 5th wheel doesn't rock WITHOUT a stabilizer. That's why I recommended that the OP try it first before potentially wasting the money on a kluge that they don't need. If it DOES move around, they can always add one later, but I wouldn't make the assumption that all of them do move around, because they don't.

Rusty
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 07:46 PM   #14

My tripod stabilizer does a great job of stopping movement. I’ve tried setting up without it, and the difference was very noticeable. If I push on a corner of the front cap before the tripod is set up, I get a lot of movement. If I push again after it is set up, I get no movement. When used together with my Rotochoks and rear stabilizers, my 5er is rock solid.

Another plus for the tripod model I have is that the cup locks to the kingpin with a padlock, providing at least some security from a thief trying to steal your 5er.

Please note that for the tripod to work effectively, it must be set up according to the manufacturer’s instructions, including correct positioning of the legs and lowering enough weight onto it. I think that may be why some don’t find them effective.

Having said that, if I had it to do over again, I would strongly consider the JT’s Strong-Arms. They are much more expensive than a tripod, but the raves they get on this and other forums are impossible to ignore.
CactusJohn is offline   Reply With Quote