Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 03-30-2015, 12:21 AM   #1
Are Water Stains A Deal-Breaker?

Hello, I'm interested in purchasing a 1994 Layton Skyline 5th wheel that has two slide outs. I will be living in this full-time and have a few concerns that maybe someone with more experience can chime in on. I have a small budget of $5000 for the trailer/5th wheel, with that said, I know I am going to have to settle for something that could very well be funky and old, I am willing and ready for Some repairs but nothing extensive like structural damage.

QUESTION: Are water stains a deal-breaker???? When walking into this trailer there are definitely some water stains on the ceiling. No evidence of water down the walls, in cabinets, or flooring as far as I could tell. The owner said they're just stains and that the roof has been redone and all repairs made (the roof looked new). Is there any way I can tell for MYSELF if there is damage to the frame, mold, things like that?

I have an RV inspector that's going to check it out but we all know how that can go, making up unnecessary repairs to finagle more money out of newbies like myself.

Any input would be greatly appreciated
Thank you,

totfan101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-30-2015, 08:14 AM   #2
I would ask a friend who has a 5th wheel to take a look at it also. 21 years of use and......abuse can take its toll. Was is stored inside? If not, was it covered? Replacing a roof is not cheap....even if you do it yourself. Water stains mean that there is a leak somewhere. Is this from a dealer or individual? How many owners in 21 years? Lots of questions to ask.

Rolfsted is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 08:31 AM   #3
When you say "living in it full-time" does that mean in one spot or traveling?
If you are handy, and you budget is limited, you may have to settle for some downsides such as this. If it will be in one spot, can you construct a bare-bones cover? If you don't mind some cosmetic blems, then Eternabond can really be a friend in fixing leaks.
'05 36TK3 Mobile Suites
'10 F450 new to me
'09 F450 Lariat 4x4--died
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 09:10 AM   #4
If you find one with water stains be sure to check for soft spots in the floor below where the stains are. Also push on the wall where the water would run down.You will know if there is or was a leak and the structure is rotted.
1996 Dodge CTD auto, #100 fuel plate,advanced timing,upgraded turbo, 2006 Dutchmen 28' 5th wheel with a 12' slide out and 16' boat behind it all
MnTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 09:14 AM   #5
I wouldn't buy an RV with water stains from anyone. Hope you can find a good one.
timetogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 10:07 AM   #6
I have had two trailers with water damage. First one, I had to remove the entire ceiling, a lot of the old wood/cellulose insulation, replace several roof trusses and put on a new interior ceiling and roof. That one, I knew what I was getting into and got it for a bargain - also had an energetic son who liked to fix things to help me.
The second was our last 5th wheel - we bought it new, but it developed a leak in the rubber roof that I could never find. It wasn't severe, but would soak the insulation above the ceiling, seep through a joint in the ceiling panel and drip on the counter. I kept a towel there, and there was never any damage to the floor. It was that way when we sold it.
I think if you are on a limited budget and can determine the extent of the damage - and are handy and willing to do some work to repair/replace it, go ahead. I would also echo the idea of trying to make sure there are no soft spots in the floor - both outside and inside cabinets.
If you think it's too severe, pass on that unit and keep looking.

Keep rollin' along!
2009 Cardinal 31SB; 2014 Silverado 2500 HD Crew Cab with Curt 16K Rolling Hitch
jaybe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 01:54 PM   #7
Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Water stains on ceiling is indicative of roof problems and yes..I would run away from such an offer.
Home is where I park it!
wa8yxm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 02:24 PM   #8
1water stains

run don't walk, think mold.

sprayman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 11:54 PM   #9
Originally Posted by sprayman View Post
run don't walk, think mold.

Exactly what I was thinking.
2013 RAM 3500 Longhorn Dually, Andersen Ultimate 5th Wheel Hitch,2014 Trilogy 3650 RL, 8000# axles, disk brakes, I.S., 960 Watt Solar
Cypressloser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2015, 02:10 PM   #10
We have a water stain on the ceiling. It has never had a leak though. The ac pulled condensate in thru the ducts. Finally replaced ac because we couldn't stop it. So all water stains is not leaks.
2003 Teton Grand Freedom. 2006 Freightliner Century 120 with Detroit 14L and Ultrashift.. Full time going from job to job. Building and maintaining plants across the USA. Sold 2006 Mobile Suites 32TK3
glennwest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 10:46 AM   #11
You said the owner said they are just stains. Something caused them and he likely knows or should tell you he bought it that way and it's not been a problem. To me the owner is not being up front and honest about whatever caused the stains. That would be a deal breaker for me. Keep looking, there are lots of good quality 5th wheels out there and up front, honest people.
Brian & Pam 15 F350 DRW 4x4, 13 36 Excel GKE L, 07 Goldwing ABS/Nav, 15 Eddyline Caribbean 14, 14" Weber Smokey Mtn, Americas Mailbox SD, FT
Big B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2015, 07:01 PM   #12

I would get a quote for redoing the roof and deduct half of that from your offer. You will have a good roof for a long time and a rv you like

Retire36 is offline   Reply With Quote