Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 07-30-2016, 07:43 AM   #1
Artic Fox

We are considering the Northwood Artic Fox 5th wheel or the Northwood Fox Mountian 5th wheel.
Has anyone had any experience with either one?

jonran5 is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-30-2016, 10:13 AM   #2
Never owned one but have always heard good things about the brand. Fellow campers have had one and really liked it. be good choice.

2011 Montana-3400RL
Towed by[B]'99 F-350 SD PSD DRW Lariat
RichR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2016, 10:54 AM   #3
Outdoors RV Owners Club
They are built like tanks and as a result are heavy beasts.
2008 F450, 2016 Outdoors RV Glacier Peak 26 RKS
Tried being normal once, worst 2 minutes of my life!
Rickeoni is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2016, 07:13 PM   #4

We have owned our Arctic Fox 27-5L 28 foot 5th wheel for a little over three and a half years now with very little problems. Like others have mentioned they are heavy. Ours weighs in at 11500# ready to camp and has a pin weight of 2400#. You need to watch the pin weight when it comes to what you plan on towing it with. I would rate Northwood at around 7 in a 1 to 10 scale as far as service. Ours is the Silver Fox edition but I would not rate it as really plush, it's just a little over average on interior decor and looks I think.
2013 Arctic Fox 27-5L, B&W Hitch, Reese 5th Airborne , Dual Pane Windows, TriMetric 2025RV. Honda EU2000i, All LED Lighting. Winfield Cross Brace Stabilizer. 2002 F350 7.3 Powerstroke, 6 Speed, 4X4 with lots of upgrades. USN Retired.
Traildust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2016, 09:36 AM   #5
We're going on our 4th season with our Fox Mountain. We had three problems within the 1st week. One was a slight water leak at a manifold fitting. Simple repair with a new fitting.
2nd was a noisy floor duct in the bedroom. A trip to Home Depot for some ducting and a hr to fix They tried to cram 50lbs of stuff in a 20lb hole.
3rd one was the kitchen faucet broke. No biggie to us as it was too low anyway. So I again went to Home Depot and got a nicer taller residential faucet.
Ours has a fading front cap. It' an industry wide problem so we're not alone.
Other than those items we've had zero issues. All the cabinets have held up great. Everything always works when we take it out.
Would I buy another Northwood product. Probably. But more than likely I would look hard at Outdoor RV. They have solid built units and offer better styling with more floor plans.
We've used ours for close to 100+ nights and have over 10,000 miles on it, if that matters.
I can't say that Northwood is better or worse than any other brand. One thing they do is make their own frames. I hate everything Lippert so that's a plus for me. Outdoor Rv makes theirs as well.
Cumminsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 06:10 AM   #6
We were just faced with the same issue. We mostly dry camp in state and federal CGs so we wanted to stay as small as possible but still have all the comforts. Came down to the AF 27-5, 29-5 or FM 235. To be honest we liked them all. Loved the rear window on the 29-5 and 235. Didn't like the space for the dual chairs on the 235, just a bit too narrow to rotate. Loved the features on the 29-5, but it pushed my tow rating just a bit too hard for me to be comfortable. That left us with the 27-5 and the dealer (Northwest RV) made us an offer we could not refuse.

We are delighted with the 27-5 and do not hesitate to recommend it. I'm sure we will change units again, but we will definitely look at either Northwood or Outdoors. I don't think you will be disappointed with either of your choices.
2016 Arctic Fox 27-5L
2003 Jimmy Duramax
MtCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 09:31 PM   #7
I agree 100%. Arctic Fox is a nice unit. My brother is thinking of trading in his new Forest River on the 35Z model. Slightly smaller than what he had but he's had it with all the problems. I have spent more time working on it than he has camped in it!
09 harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 08:36 PM   #8
I had a 29-5-T and don't remember ever having a problem with it.
kgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 08:39 PM   #9
Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I had a Nash 22H. Great trailer, sold it to a friend and he eventually upgraded to an Arctic Fox fifth wheel and really liked it.

Good product and yes they are heavy.
2004 Monaco La Palma 36DBD, W22, 8.1, 7.1 MPG
2000 LEXUS RX300 FWD 22MPG 4020 LBS
Arch Hoagland is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2016, 12:03 PM   #10
We full time in a 29-5K and love it.

We ordered it new and took delivery early 2015, and have full timed with it since May of 2015.

We have had very few problems. They aren't as "fancy" with the fit and finish as many other brands, but as of right now in this price range, the only other brand that I think has similar build quality is Grand Designs.

As mentioned before though they are heavy. But that is because they don't mess around on materials.

If you can I recommend touring their factory in La Grande to actually see how they are built.

Me and the wife and the dog
2001 Dodge Ram 3500 DRW
2015 Arctic Fox 29-5K 5th Wheel
cootersotg is offline   Reply With Quote