Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-12-2016, 03:25 PM   #1

Angry Atwood hot water heater HELP

Model GC-10A-3E. Combo electric/gas. My baby is old so i am permanently docked. Heater want work by gas or electric. I want it to work just by electric. Can i take 120VAC direct to the heating element??????????????????????????:

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-12-2016, 03:47 PM   #2

Seriously? How will it know to turn off? If it doesn't turn off bad things could happen.

2013 Chevy Sonic Hatchback (Automatic)
wildtoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 03:58 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by af1465 View Post
Model GC-10A-3E. Combo electric/gas. My baby is old so i am permanently docked. Heater want work by gas or electric. I want it to work just by electric. Can i take 120VAC direct to the heating element??????????????????????????:
These are pretty simply appliances so take a minute with a electrical meter to check. When I bought my trailer the electric side would not work it was simple to replace the switch at the WH, tstat and heating element all for under $30. I do not recommend a direct connection to the heating element, it will have no control and if the element is bad it still will not work. Don't do it as your asking for more trouble.
TDroma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2016, 04:39 AM   #4

Atwood hot water heater HELP

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildtoad View Post
Seriously? How will it know to turn off? If it doesn't turn off bad things could happen.
I replaced the bad Heating element, still no 120VAC at element book says turn switch on. There is a switch there but it is not wired in, do i buy a common switch and put it in line with the black lead. Or can you tell me how to wire the switch in properly?????
Old 08-18-2016, 10:27 AM   #5

Hello af1465
I hate to say this but "time and time again, people shotgun (i.e. replace) a perfectly good working component. So many people on the forums site are guilty of this and do it, without properly finding out the root cause failure mode (i.e. problem). As you can see, you went through the time and money replacing a good working heating element without analyzing what the real problem it.
I am not sure what model you have, but you can find it on the web.
It looks like the heating element is controlled via a relay which is triggered by a thermostat. If you wanted to go only electric, you must run the relay through the thermostat. The thermostat only will not handle the current, thus the relay is required. If you do not have any electrical knowledge, then maybe someone in the campground where you are may be able to lend a hand. They must be able to read the schematic and cut/connect the correct wires. Doing it yourself without the proper knowledge and equipment (i.e. voltmeter) will end up more problems and money.

Best Regards
Dutch Master
Old 08-18-2016, 04:05 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Mid Atlantic Campers
There is most likely a fuseable link that runs from the control board to the element connection and gas burner connection. The heater will not work without it. I have had to replace mine twice. About a $12.00 part. Better than $300 for a new board. Remove the link and check for continuity. If there is no continuity it is bad. http://rvsupplies.com/atwood-rv-wate...FQcfhgodBn0EPw

RKamperRV is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
atwood, heat, heater, water, water heater